Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 11:57

Plan:
Stats: 190/190/150
BF:
Progress:
Cool Can high cholesterol people be on Atkins?

Hi, I have to take Lipitor. Should I just keep on lean meats then? My doctors said to get off it a few months ago. I'd only been on it a few weeks and was in ketosis. I'm not able to control what I eat so eat too many carbs. That's what I love about this diet. I didn't lose too much weigh this last time, but was only on a few weeks. Are there some people it just won't work for? I was in dark purple ketosis!!! I was on Atkins back in the late 70s. I lost some weight then, but of course went off it. I have a friend who just lost 75. She's my age too and just went off to Las Vegas to live!! Her life has sure changed. I look young for my age and want to get in shape. Getting old scares the hell out of me. I'm 47 now but the girls at work thought I was in my 30s. Maybe if I lost weight all the wrinkles would come out in my face...LOL I sure hope not. So will I be able to do the diet with 30mg of Lipitor a day?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 18:48
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi lori, welcome to our forum

Fats, red meats and cheese do not raise your cholesterol or triglycerides. Sugar, white flour, white rice, white mashed potatoes, white hominy, white bread .... now THESE will raise your cholesterol, lead to diabetes, and contribute to weight problems. First thing, you need to do some reading about lowcarb and cholesterol to ease your mind, ok?? Click here to open our Cholesterol and Heart Disease message list, which is in the Health Issues forum.... Lots of encouraging messages and testimony from members whose cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure all went down with lowcarbing, and they all ate red meat and fat!

Next, it would be good for you to check out our Tips pages (just click on Tips on the red bar at the top of this page). Especially read Lowcarb Basics, and Frequently Asked Questions.

Dr. Atkins has published his New Diet Revolution in 1992, and it is quite different from the original back in the 70s, I know because I did the original back in the 70s too .. .. You are allowed more carbs now, more salad and more cooked veggies like broccoli and asparagus. Check your public library to see if they have a copy of his Newer book; he also explains a bit how the diet will help to improve your cholesterol.

The important thing is that it's sugar and carbs that make your cholesterol worse, so remember that when you have the urge to cheat .. .. Sticking faithfully to lowcarb program will bring your levels down, and very likely you will be able to get off the Lipitor --- make frequent follow-up visits with your doctor, to have your cholesterol checked. That would be great wouldn't it??

Keep us posted of your progress

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-09-01, 17:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/190/165
BF:
Progress: 77%

Go Ahead. Eat fatty meats. It will help. My father went on it. He has been in the medical research area for 25 years and has been told that his tri and his ldl was genetic and that NOTHING could be done. Well now his tri. went down from 1000 to low normal range, and his ldl has plummeted. He went crazy trying to figure out how the hell that could happen, and then read that article in science, and now is converted. Before he called me a nut. His HDL went up. Don't do it low fat. Eat away and get your blood tested after 3 months just to prove it to yourself. Additionally, the diet lowers blood pressure (I had low to begin with so I am not happy about that), but its good for most people.