Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 09:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Is Lab-Grown Meat Really Meat?

Slate has a popular post up:

Is Lab-Grown Meat Really Meat?

Now I grew up with science fiction, where it was considered routine to harvest algae from the sea or carve meals from a "perpetual chicken heart" beating in a stainless steel vat somewhere in a lab. I'm not even against the concept: as long as it's really meat.

Vegan concoctions of soy and beans will kill my digestive system, and I'm sure I'm not alone from so many ex-vegan accounts.

Quote:
Cultured-meat manufacturers like Just Inc. and Memphis Meats are hoping to provide consumers with meat that is just like its predecessor, that tastes and looks and feels and smells exactly the same as something you might get in stores today but will be more sustainable. Whether that will turn out to be true won’t be clear for some time. But there’s another, more immediate battle heating up between the cattle industry and these new entrants into the meaty ring. So buckle up and put on your wonkiest hat, because the labeling war is about to begin.

There is a local supermarket whose deli I avoid, because whatever they stock isn't New York Deli. It is roast beef which resembles real roast beef the way Velveeta resembles real cheese. If that's what they are going to come up with, I'm not going to be a fan.

Quote:
The rise in vegetarian and vegan food options in supermarkets has given us a few more examples of mimics and their labels. Soymilk and almond milk have been a thorn in the side of the dairy lobby for more than 15 years. The Soyfoods Association of America petitioned the FDA back in 1997, asking for permission to call their products “soymilk,” starting a long battle between soy manufacturers and dairy farmers. Dairy farmers object to these beverages being called milk, but thus far the FDA hasn’t done anything to stop brands from using the word.

Good for marketing, but NOT good for us and the planet. Almonds are part of the water crisis in California, and soy is horrible stuff.

Quote:
Of course, not everybody agrees that it should be called meat. Warren Love, one of the representatives in Missouri behind the state bill that would ban companies like Just and Memphis Meats from using the term meat, says, “We have no problem with them producing it, manufacturing it, whatever, we just don’t want it to be labeled as, and kind of hijack the name of meat. Meat is from a harvested animal.” Love, who’s a cattle rancher himself, says that without protecting the term meat, these new entrants into the market might dilute the goodwill that the beef industry has built up among consumers. “I guess you would call it protecting your brand,” he says. “I’m an old cowboy and I ride for the brand.”

Not only that. I see this as a similar problem with artificial fertilizer. Now we know it depletes the soil, not enriches it, and contributes to global warming, too. Do we know enough about meat to accurately reproduce it in the lab?

I'm not betting my life on it.

Last edited by WereBear : Wed, Jan-15-20 at 09:39.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 10:46

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

We have to nip the imposters in the bud before they blur the lines any more.

Almond milk IS NOT MILK.

The thought that it's even in the milk cases near the cream makes me sick that they're able to get away with this fraud.
Imitation is fake and that's all there is to it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 10:56

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
The thought that it's even in the milk cases near the cream makes me sick that they're able to get away with this fraud.
Imitation is fake and that's all there is to it.
My local Co-op keeps the plant "milks" and fake "meat" in separate "health food" refrigerators & freezers. It probably helps them sell more because people are comparing prices of $4.49 to $5.99 for 2L and thinking they are getting a great deal, but don't know/see the price of milk milk. And some of them are packaged in 1.5L plastic bottles so you cannot compare price per litre easily. Instead of almond milk, I'd rather get the equivalent by eating a few almonds and drinking a glass of water - much more portable, with a long shelf life and no refrigeration or recycling of containers necessary. If I want a thicker smoothie or stew or whatever, I just use less water.

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Jan-15-20 at 11:06.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 11:08

BF:

I read that the milk industry is trying to stop it.
It should be called almond juice or almond liquid...not milk
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 18:31

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I'm another one who is adamantly against labeling fake foods with a 'real' name. Milk comes from mammals, not plants. Fat-free half-and-half is irrational. It's, by definition, half milk, and half cream; both of which have fat in them.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 18:50

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im not opposed to "almond milk".....its not a product I confuse with cow's milk. To me the fraud is selling almond milk like it is an equivalent alternative to cow's milk. It is a substitute , but not the same nutrients, and not the same flavor.

Meat. From an animal. Period. This new stuff is ....creepy. Eat a glob of protein .......???? I,ll never be ready for that. Heard an interview on the radio recently, they know there is a texture problem.

Might be better for everyone to have a couple chickens, and feed them food waste.How much food do you throw out?? All food scraps here go to dogs, or the compost heap for the chickens.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 23:10

BF:

The way I think about it is if we don't draw the line now, what will happen later?
How about lab grown animal that is half chicken half frog? Is that still called chicken?

Or how about a bean steak, is that still steak?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 05:21

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Turns out Dr Gary Fettke, prosecuted in Australia for advising patients to try low carb, was persecuted by... the cereal industry!

Which IS the Seventh Day Adventists.

https://www.lowcarbusa.org/adventism/
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 13:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Turns out Dr Gary Fettke, prosecuted in Australia for advising patients to try low carb, was persecuted by... the cereal industry!

Which IS the Seventh Day Adventists.

https://www.lowcarbusa.org/adventism/

I had no idea about this!!
Thanks werebear!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 13:46

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
The way I think about it is if we don't draw the line now, what will happen later?
How about lab grown animal that is half chicken half frog? Is that still called chicken?

Or how about a bean steak, is that still steak?

Just to be clear...
Im all for never calling anything but animal grown-produced protein "meat".

Anything else is NOT meat.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-20, 09:30

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Soylent Green. It's people.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-20, 11:07