Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-09, 09:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/154.5/135 Female 5'5"
BF:38.8%
Progress: 51%
Default Question about die off

hello, I started this diet for a wekk and then started a phase in apporach with Candida Clear by NOW antifungals. I on day 6,7 and 8 of the diet and 1 and 2 of the antifungals my symptoms got worse. They have significantly improved since then. However I notice more symptoms as I increase the antifungal dosage. I started with 1 a day for 3 days, then 2 a day for three days and today if my first day of 3 a day for the remaining 2 months. Could my die off be a little more with each dosage increase? I am shaky today and a little bit weak. I have also started my period (sorry) could that have something to do with it too?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-09, 11:30
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Period can definitely have something to do with your weakness.

Die off symptoms can get stronger as dosage increases...you are killing more yeast and so are having a more severe reaction.

If the die off becomes more tha you can handle, back off on the dosage and take it slower.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-09, 12:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/152.5/135 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 42%

I can handle it I just wanted to be sure that was what was going on. My die off causes me light headed, weak and tired easily. Being hit with my period didn't help either!! I seem to have lost the metallic taste in my mouth which is great!!! But the weakness came back again today after I got a little bit stressed because my son threw up, we are supposed to be going for Christmas Eve dinner. By the time I started my coffee this morning I felt a little better but I did notice that after 2 hours of taking the dosage I got shaky, and weak again.

Just wanted people's feedback on what they have experienced and/or they thought.

Thank you for the reassurance!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-26-09, 10:16

Plan: N/A
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Even though I'm suffering from all of the symptoms, I'm beginning to think I don't have candida overgrowth. I've been on the diet for about 3 weeks and antifungal for about 2 and not even sure if I've been experiencing die off or not. My stomach's bothering me, but this has been going on for over 3 months. I threw up last week , had some diarrhea, and experienced sudden fatigue but I can chalk that up to the coconut oil and switching to a low carb diet.

I mean, I've been hitting this hard. Besides the diet, I've been using Pau d,Arco tea, extra virgin coconut oil, grape fruit seed extract, oregano oil, vitamin-D, garlic, acidophilus, organic plain yogurt, etc. but don't have much to show for it.

I feel less motivated and doubtful. I don't know if I should just discontinue all of this or not.

Last edited by Tom873 : Sat, Dec-26-09 at 10:23.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-09, 11:08

Stats: 175/154.5/135 Female 5'5"
BF:38.8%
Progress: 51%

Hey there,
I get that this is a fruststrating process but my sister in law fought this and said it took her a full 2 months prior to feeling better AT ALL!!!!!!
Maybe you need to purchase an antifungal like Candida Clear and see if that helps at all. I get days where I feel almost 100% and then it's like I'm slapped in the face again because one or two of the symptoms come back.
I guess the question is is anything else helping you? Add a little sugar back into your diet and see if your symptoms worsen completely????
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-09, 03:31

BF:
Progress:

You know what? I'm almost positive it's candida now. I recently realized my tongue is covered in a white, grayish coating. Also, I don't know if this means anything, there are bumps on the back of it. This has really motivated me to stick to the diet. I find that butter is really helping me. I discontinued it years ago after switching to, what I thought was, a healthy diet.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-09, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/152.5/135 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 42%

Glad to hear that you think you have figured it out. It is common to have larger bumps on the back of your tongue they are your larger taste buds!

Otherwise how are you feeling? I am weak ALOT especially in the morning. I am hoping this goes away!!!!!!

All of my blood work has come back normal so it must be die off due to the length of time on the increased dosage of the antifungals. I am hopeful this will fade shortly. Seems to be the only thing other than gut issue that I am dealing with.

Any one think the weakness can be the diet and not the die off???
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-09, 10:48

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for asking 20lbstogo. To be honest, my stomach is still bothering me and I have been getting a lot of heartburn. My asthma has also been really bad. Are heartburn and breathing troubles part of die off? I'm going to stop the grapefruit seed extract for a while. Unfortunately, because of my esophageal ulcers, I can't go at this as hard as I'd like. No GSE, oil of oregano, garlic, etc.

And yeah, I think the diet can be causing the fatigue too. I'll be feeling fine and then, all of a sudden, I'll just get really tired. I'd assume if the fatigue was from die off, then I would be tired all day. And remember, going from a huge amount of carbs to almost none over night is a pretty drastic change.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 14:06
Registered Member

Stats: 190/171/170 Male 73
BF:
Progress: 95%

I would take it a little slower. Getting rid of canidida generally takes some time regardless of how much you use to combat it and the more anti-fungals you take the worse the die-off will be until you get through the herxheimer reaction period.