Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 16:17

Plan: stayin ~ 70 carbs/day
Stats: 200/180/165 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Losing inches, not weight

I have been LC since November and have lost 20 lbs. For the past 6 weeks I have not lost any weight but i notice that my clothes are getting bigger (losing inches). Is this normal?
My husband says that I may be turning fat into muscle. I ride bikes every weekend and go to spinning class once a week (all cardio). Is he right?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 16:22

BF:

I think I just found the answer to my question in the post above mine.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 09:56
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 203/154/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I too, have been low carbing since November (that was when I got serious) I have probably lost about 20 pounds but my inches are really coming off now and the scale hasnt moved much at all since early Januray. It bothered me at first, but then I realized when I went shopping I was down two sizes in jeans that it wasn't that big of a deal.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 14:34

BF:

That's great to hear! Losing inches makes it easier to stay LC.
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 22:00

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Remember that as long as you are losing inches your are not stalled. It is natural to lose weight and then lose the inches. The body needs to re-group and re-fit parts. If you are forming muscle, that muscle will contribute to a healthier metabolism and, eventually, help to burn more fat. Muscle is heavier than fat and you will get heavier with that muscle. This is temporary and the weight will pull itself together.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 05:36
Hanging in there

Plan: Atkins
Stats: //130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hello There,
I just wanted to stop by and let you know you're not alone...I only started low carbing in January...for almost 3 weeks I didn't lose a pound, I was starting to get very discouraged, when I decided to read some of these post on the forum...you'd be surprised what you might find out here...most likely someone else on here has gone through what you have...so read them everyday, you never know.. also I took someone else's advise and bought a tape measure...surprise surprise,,,I wasn't losing pounds but I was losing inches, so that did make me feel better...I hope this helps...good luck!!!! and don't ever give up..remember it's not a diet it's a life style change!
Dezi
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 17:07

BF:

When i wrote the original msg. in Feb. a lot has changed. One day I woke up and yee hahhh, i suddenly lost 7 lbs.
What really helped is that I never gave up, and finally it happend.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 10:39

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

That's so encouraging, Ladyicon!

For the last 5 weeks my weight loss has slowed down quite a bit (no loss this week), but the inches are sure going! I'm sure glad I started measuring, or I never would have known.

I've been reading everything I can find to help remind me that this is normal. Plus it's so great to know we're not alone!

Hmmm... if I get a fabulous whoosh like yours I'd post it here and let everyone know! Congrats for never giving up!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 13:41

Stats: 190/163/160 Female 5'9"
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 90%

More important in the battle to burn fat is your measurments and not what the scale says. If you've lost inches but the scale hasn't budged then you're still burning fat! Especially if your excersizing and lifting weights.... you may have burned a lb of fat or 2 but won't notice it on the scale if you've built up a lb or 2 of muscle! If you're clothes fit better then that's what counts.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 09:29
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Control Program
Stats: 170/170/145 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default So glad you started this thread!

I've been loosing inches, not pounds, also. I have been stalled for a couple of weeks, but - maybe not stalled after all!

These posts have been encouraging, and so have been my gradually increasing jeans' waist sizes.

Thanks