Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 04:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default A Big Vegan YouTuber Is Leaving Veganism

Quote:
Tim Shieff’s admission that he will consume meat for health reasons has made many vegans angry and led to his ouster from the vegan clothing company he founded.

Eating for health will not let him escape the threats from former fans.

Quote:
A vegan YouTuber and athlete has been dropped by a vegan company he founded and is receiving a ton of backlash for announcing he would be eating meat again, after admitting last year he ate raw eggs and salmon after a 35-day water fast.

Tim Shieff is a champion freerunner who has appeared on American Ninja Warrior. He also has been prominently featured in the media for his vegan lifestyle as an athlete, appearing in the film What the Health? and contributing to Forks Over Knives. He also promotes his lifestyle through his large social media followings, with over 175,000 YouTube subscribers and more than 85,000 Instagram followers.

But earlier this month, Shieff made a stunning admission. He is no longer vegan. The admission came after Shieff admitted in November he had eaten raw eggs and salmon after completing a 35-day water fast.

In his new video called “Am I still vegan?” Shieff said he had been experiencing health issues while on his vegan diet. These problems included “digestion issues, depression, fatigue, brain fog, lack of energy,” and “waking up stiff” in his joints.

“I couldn’t do push-ups without getting injured,” he said.

To try to heal himself, he said, he tried a variety of different diets. These included a fruit and herb fast, a high-fat diet, a high-carb low-fat diet, trying different supplements, and, I’m quoting here, “drinking [his] own urine for two years.”

“But overall there was still a general, slow decline,” he said.

Yet another vegan demonstrates that this is far from the healthy diet we are constantly told it is. And I have seen over and over again how vegans who tell the truth about how they are in poor health without animal products are driven out of the community, or even forced offline and out of the spotlight.

Quote:
So, he decided to try animal products. He ate local raw eggs and wild-caught salmon. He called the move “a huge identity crisis,” but admitted he felt better. He even said, another quote here, after eating the salmon he “ejaculated for the first time in months.”

Shieff went back to a vegan diet, and his health continued to feel off. He was forced to ask the hard question: Was veganism affecting his health? “I made the choice to go back to consuming animal products again,” he said. He said the improvements in his health were evidence that “there is something natural in consuming animal products” for his own body.

We use science. They use threats.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 08:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
These problems included “digestion issues, depression, fatigue, brain fog, lack of energy,” and “waking up stiff” in his joints.

Sounds like what was happening to me before I went strict low carb, and I wasn't (and never was) a practicing vegan. I'm sure it took a lot of guts to share this decision, as he must have known the vitriol that was sure to come his way. Denise Minger experienced this as well.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 08:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Sounds like what was happening to me before I went strict low carb, and I wasn't (and never was) a practicing vegan. I'm sure it took a lot of guts to share this decision, as he must have known the vitriol that was sure to come his way. Denise Minger experienced this as well.

As a young adult athlete, he should not be in trouble like that if veganism lived up to their health hype.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 09:28
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

While doing a little research related to my current "plant free" diet tweak I ran across this video on Youtube. It is a former vegan youtuber confessing to the transgression of leaving the vegan farm for health reasons. She and her partner tried EVERYTHING to stay vegan. The harder they tried the sicker they got. What they went through blew me away. Heart wrenching. And in the end, she could still not bring herself to blame veganism for her problems. To paraphrase her conclusions... The vegan religion is perfect and beautiful -- The problem must be me. I think the she will change her tune once the indoctrination starts to fade.

Youtube Video: Why I'm no longer vegan

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Feb-26-19 at 10:17.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 12:14

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I know so many people in this predicament as they age. The problem is it sneaks up on you and older people have stores from eating omnivore diets but I fear for kids being raised vegan. Every person I have known who has died from pancreatic cancer has been vegan.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 12:24

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

I wonder how he feels now about calling his company "ETHCS."
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 12:25

Plan: paleo controlled carb/cal
Stats: 134.5/133.8/120 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Is it possible that drinking his own urine for two years had something to do with his health issues??
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 12:31

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH0456
Is it possible that drinking his own urine for two years had something to do with his health issues??

According to the article, he was already feeling bad.

Quote:
To try to heal himself, he said, he tried a variety of different diets. These included a fruit and herb fast, a high-fat diet, a high-carb low-fat diet, trying different supplements, and, I’m quoting here, “drinking [his] own urine for two years.”

But I have no idea why he thought that would help, lol.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 12:32

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH0456

Are you serious? That is insane....
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 13:35
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

There is a young, totally fit vegan guy who works at my office. He is always telling me how awesome he feels and that I should give veganism a try. I've politely said "No thank you" many times. I finally found something that works for me and I'm sticking with it. I haven't knocked him for his choices, but from what I've learned I believe that I have the better diet.

He was just in my office about 10 minutes ago talking diet. He asked me if I'd learned anything about lectins. I said "yes, I know a little bit about it." He asked me if I eat grains or legumes? I said nope. He told me that he had completely given them up. He is trying to avoid lectins. I asked what was he eating for protein. That brought on confession time... He was no longer vegan. He's added fish, seafood, and eggs back to his diet. He described some of is health issues that were popping up (including "massive" zit breakouts, among other things). He thinks that he had leaky gut issues, much like the former vegan in the youtube video I linked to above. So much for feeling "fantastic" as a vegan. He'd been vegan for a year or two. He may have felt great in the beginning, but I wonder how long that really lasted? He said that he has felt "like crap" for quite a while, but he certainly hadn't shared that with me until today.

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Feb-26-19 at 13:50.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 13:44

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I bet he has lower GI issues with all of that bulk of a livestock diet. Maybe seeing you so healthy will change his mind and he'll see the errs in his ways.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 14:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
after eating the salmon he “ejaculated for the first time in months.”
I've never had that reaction to eating salmon! LOL!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 15:24

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Are you serious? That is insane....
And just more evidence of how insane the vegans are: You would try drinking your own pee before trying actual food.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 16:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've never had that reaction to eating salmon! LOL!

Maybe it was really good salmon...
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 17:55

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
There is a young, totally fit vegan guy who works at my office. He is always telling me how awesome he feels and that I should give veganism a try. I've politely said "No thank you" many times. I finally found something that works for me and I'm sticking with it. I haven't knocked him for his choices, but from what I've learned I believe that I have the better diet.

He was just in my office about 10 minutes ago talking diet. He asked me if I'd learned anything about lectins. I said "yes, I know a little bit about it." He asked me if I eat grains or legumes? I said nope. He told me that he had completely given them up. He is trying to avoid lectins. I asked what was he eating for protein. That brought on confession time... He was no longer vegan. He's added fish, seafood, and eggs back to his diet. He described some of is health issues that were popping up (including "massive" zit breakouts, among other things). He thinks that he had leaky gut issues, much like the former vegan in the youtube video I linked to above. So much for feeling "fantastic" as a vegan. He'd been vegan for a year or two. He may have felt great in the beginning, but I wonder how long that really lasted? He said that he has felt "like crap" for quite a while, but he certainly hadn't shared that with me until today.

It's tough to backtrack after touting a WOE so enthusiastically in the beginning. Avoiding lectins is difficult for a practicing vegan. Feeling fantastic and the placebo effect? Hmmmm . . . . . I believe that a vegetarian approach can work for certain phenotypes and those who can design a diet that accounts for all the critical nutrients without over consuming the harmful ones. Healthy fats and protein are the challenges. It's positive he confided, that's the first step toward a healthy WOE.