Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default noodles etc (WOW!)

I was turned on to these japanese noodles which are called konnjaku, you can find them in asian food stores or near the tofu in some grucery stores OR at http://www.konjacfoods.com/order/

ANyway, they basically have no nutrition. Three grams of carbs per serving, no protein no fat and the carbs are all fiber. I can attest to that being true because after having one serving yesterday this morning my movements were EXTREMELY bouyant, practically jumping out of the water. No taste, texture like glass noodles many shapes and sizes. WOW I love them. They are not at all like the fake low carb noodles you can buy, kto noodles or whatever, they actually seem like real food. Um, they're comparable to chow fun noodles.

The other thing is that there is a product by this konjac foods, a "flour" that these noodles are made of and it is super cool. It has properties like cornstarch and gelatin, only one tbs has the effect of about 10 tbs corn starch - use it for thickening sauces, gravies, puddings, cakes, desserts etc only without the carbs. I made an amazing vanilla pudding last night that has the nice "wobbly" texture that real puddings have. You can bake it, use it to thicken smoothies and shakes, do anything and unlike gelatin it doesn't melt or have it's thickening properties reversed by either heat or cold. I'm really excited to see what sort of creations I can come up with.

Meg
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 19:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Whoa! There's an Asian grocery store around the corner from me... I'll have to check that out. So konjac is the plant they're made from... is "Konjaku" the brand name? Are they actually called Shirataki?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 19:25
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

umm that is very well possible that they are called shiritaki - check the nutrition count on the label and if it's like, 3 carbs per serving or something like that it's prob the same stuff.

I forgot to mention that when you fry the flat noodles they take on a meaty texture - so you can save on calories when you're trying to cut back by replacing some meat with this stuff. Mmm fried noodles with bacon bits, scallion and sour cream. Who needs fattening perogies?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 19:40
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/235/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default What an eye-opener

This sounds absolutely amazing. I was craving pudding and I'd love to have some noodles that are basically fiber...a good complement to some of the meats I'm trying.
Have you done any more experiementing with recipes.

Slimcat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 11:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Konnyaku is also used to make a jello-like dessert.

There's a lot of good info at http://www.konnyaku.com/ ... as well as really amusing Engrish! We make Konnyaku with that a peace of mind can do a unique method of manufacture sanitarily.

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Oct-10-03 at 12:05.