Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 11:50

Plan: Cyclical Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 225/225/205
BF:14%/14%/7%
Progress: 0%
Default Fibre supplementation

Hey everyone. This is my first post in this forum so be gentle. I'm a natural weightlifter who bulks up during the winter (lots of carbs) and leans out during the spring/summer. I've followed a cyclical ketogenic diet (ie Bodyopus, 5 days on 2 for carb up) for my previous dieting phases with impressive results. Each time, I fine tune the diet and do things differently to optimize the results, and I've noticed that every diet phase that I go on I become leaner than the previous diet.

My question pertains to the issue of fibre. I've always been uncertain about fibre during the ketogenic phase of the week, mainly because I'm uncertain if fibre metabolizes like any other type of carbohydrate. I'm worried that if I do take a fibre supplement that it could possibly kick me out of ketosis, but I'm also aware of the fact that fibre will certainly help keep the plumbing running smoothly. Can anyone tell me if it's safe to take fibre supplements without worrying about getting kicked out of ketosis, and if so, what type of fibre supplementation would be the best (ie, psyllium, guar, etc.). BTW, I get most of my fat intake from hemp seed oil and Udo's oil (Omega-3 and 6), so I'm contemplating taking digestive enzymes to help out. Should I or shouldn't I? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 12:42

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Fibre supplementation

Quote:
Originally posted by mythirdeye
I've always been uncertain about fibre during the ketogenic phase of the week, mainly because I'm uncertain if fibre metabolizes like any other type of carbohydrate.
Hi there, mythirdeye. You can breath easy, fiber does not get absorbed by the human body. Be is soluble or insoluble it passes right through the GI tract and it should not effect ketosis. If anything it will help other meals that might contain carbs have less of an effect on insulin levels as it slows how quickly food empties from the stomach.

We have a nutrition and supplements forum where you can find lots of information on fiber if you're interested. The most important thing to remember when taking fiber is that you should take it 2 hours before or after you take any other supplements as it can effect their absorption. Always have a big glass of water with your fiber supplement - too little water w/ too much fiber will have the opposite effect.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 22:36

Default Re: Fibre supplementation

Thanks Nat. I bought a bag of psyllium husk powder today in preparation for my lean out next month. I'm also considering eating a small amount of veggies during the ketogenic phase of the week, just so that I have something relatively solid going into my stomach besides the oil, chicken and tuna (thought I'm not eating more than 3 cans a week due to mercury concerns). How many tsps would you suggest I take a day, because I'm thinking 2 or 3 would be sufficient. Here are some of the other supplements that I'm going to take:

A thermo (of course)
400 mg of potassium/day
500 mg of magnesium/day
Hemp seed oil and Udo's Oil
ALA (used mostly during the carb up, especially the first day)
200 mcg of Selenium (powerful antioxidant)
A high end multivitamin

Not really bothering with a calcium supplement because I should be getting enough through the cheese (glad I'm not lactose intolerant ).

Would you suggest that I take enzymes to help break down the fat and protein, or am I good the way that I am?

BTW, how do I post my pic in my profile thingie?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 09:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Re: Fibre supplementation

Quote:
Originally posted by mythirdeye
Would you suggest that I take enzymes to help break down the fat and protein, or am I good the way that I am?

I think you're fine with what you've got! You might try adding some anti-oxidants post workout (E&C) - are you taking glutamine during the Keto phase? Might be a good addition, but you have the basics and then some covered

As for the psyllium, a tbsp or two a day will do the trick. Be sure not take it around other supplements and to have a big glass of water afterward - but I'm repeating myself

To add a picture to your profile click here: How do I add Picture/Icon to my profile?

Cheers,
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 01:14

Default Re: Re: Fibre Supplementation

Hey, sorry I took so long to respond. I'm a little iffy on glutamine before and during ketosis since I heard that it's possible that it can prevent entry into ketosis. I usually save it for the carb up, particularly the first day. This time around I'm going to supplement with a creatine citrate that contains D-pinitol, D-Ribose, Piperin and Galega Officinalis. I'm hoping that it will give me some impressive results. Last time around I took 600 mg of ALA during the first day of carb-up, but I'm wondering if it's nessecary to take that much to get the most glycogen re-synthesis. Can I take, say 200-400 mg and still get away with the most bang for the buck? ALA is so damn expensive
Right now I'm reading about one of Duchaine's frankenstein supplements, DNP. Dan was a genius, but I still think he had a few screws loose with the supplements he created.

BTW, I couldn't post my pic because it is apparently too large to post. Is there anyway that I can make a copy that is smaller?