Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 20:10
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%
Cool Interesting article about Paleo diet

Hi Paleos'

Interesting and well balanced article from Australia about the Paleo W.O.E.

They make the probably valid point that if large numbers of people took up Paleo there probably wouldn't be enough meat etc to go around.

I expect the early farmers realised this when they started to grow their own, and 'bred out' the existing hunter gatherers.

Article at: http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/F...lithic_diet.asp

Cheers

Michael Gardner

Queensland, Australia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 04:18

Plan: Neanderthin/Paleo
Stats: 147/123.2/121 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 92%

Thanks for sharing that, Michael!
I do agree that there wouldn't be enough meat to go round if we all did the Paleo diet, but surely modern man would think up a way to overcome this?

I tend to think it all revolves around the huge industries and their money making sugar based products, but call me a cynic. LOL.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:17

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Michael:
No need to worry about supplying enough meat. All farms growing forbidden stuff such as wheat, oats, canola, corn, beans, peanuts, soy, SUGAR cane and beets, potatoes, etc can eventually be converted to raising and growing healthy, whole natural products, including meat. It is a question of demand. Once people smarten up and stop buying stuff that is bad for them and demanding stuff that's good for them, things will start changing. For example, if no one buys Cheerios what do you think will happen besides the screams of pain and hunger coming from the pocketbooks and bank accounts of those who manufacture it. Unfortunately, change will not come overnight, but hopefully in my lifetime.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 13:55
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

I agree with Hellistile. The reason hunter-gatherer life gave way to farming, was because the game was getting low... however, we are no longer dependent on hunter-gathering techniques to survive. We can raise a lot (more) of animals for human (and pet) consumption. It is just another way of "hunting and gathering". The problems that have arisen with agriculture are vast and deep. For instance the huge (human) (over-) population explosion, and the decimation of nature, etc. These are problems, but they can be fixed. We also have attained some benefits from agriculture, like being able to combat diseases, etc. We must overcome the problems if we are to survive as a species, and if we are to stop damaging the planet's natural environment (which we are a part of, if we would only see it that way!). Birth control is an extremely immediate problem! There are way too many people now... we can't keep going in that direction! And, sustainable agriculture is important as well. Here in the Midwest, there are many farmers that are trying to allow the natural grasslands to return to the plains, and they are trying to raise animals as natural as possible... native animals of this area, like deer, elk, bison, etc. That is one way of changing things. I for one have researched these farms and have several relationships established. I am presently getting all my meat and eggs from various farms. They all raise animals naturally and are concerned with the health aspects and the environmental aspects of food production. The animals are also not "tortured" in the process! I will NOT go back to mindlessly purchasing meat and eggs from the supermarket. I buy in bulk and it is very affordable.

The globalization of huge multi-nationals' interests are wiping out the more indigenous ways of many peoples across the planet... traditional eating was still very paleo, despite some grains and legumes in the mix. These dishes are going to the way side. People use to prize the innards of animals, including brains, intestines, organs, fat, blood, etc. This is very healthy food. Now, these substances are discarded in the meat processing plants. And, of course the fat is then trimmed off the meat at the butcher. And, if we listened to the health advise of the last few decades, we would hardly eat any meat and would instead be consuming ultra-processed low-fat commercial packaged junk food off the colorful aisles of the supermarkets! Oh, wait... I guess most of us are! ooops... didn't mean to get cynical there!

BTW... although that article is a good one... it was bent toward the "low-fat" version of paleo... which, while being, shall we say "politically correct", is not really historically/anthropologically accurate.

Check this article for a bit more realism...

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi..._americans.html

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Thu, Oct-30-03 at 14:18.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 01:51
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%

Thanks, Dean
Interesting what you say about modern meat practices. There's an article called "the oiling of America" (search Google for it) where a Doctor makes the point that in the USA at the beginning of the 20th Century, unless you were a migrant from Italy or Spain etc, all your dietary fat would come from animals, and lots of it. They had no concept of 99% fat free, ate loads of stuff like liver and chitterlin's, as well as lots of butter and cream (no margarine or at least no Vegetable margarine).

They should have been dropping like flies, but they only had 2000 heart attack deaths per year (sure, smaller population, but how many heart deaths in the USA today?) Instead modern Western people are the ones who are croaking it on their "healthy food pyramid" modern diets where margarine - i.e. plastic trans fats - is recommended as the spread of choice to put on your recommended large amounts of bread and pasta etc.

Cheers

Michael Gardner