Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 19:34
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 180/148/130 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:unknown
Progress: 64%
Smile A Quick Question;

OK I am really getting enthusiastic about this Paleo/ Neanderthin Way Of Eating. I think I have found a market where I may be able to get game meat. How much fruit are you supposed to eat? And is there other veggies on the black list besides Potatoes and corn. Thosre have been on my list for almost 6 months anyway so very small loss there. I still have about 10 to 15 pounds to lose yet. So Bananas would not be a good addition yet I wouldn't think. My books haven't come yet, so that is why I'm asking. Judy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 11:15
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 145/140/? Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

"How much fruit are you supposed to eat?"

The amount of fruit you eat is something that takes time to discover. Everyone is different. I personally eat a lot of fruit because I feel best eating it. Listen to your body.

The best fruit to eat is berries as they are high in nutrients and don't affect blood sugar levels too much.

"And is there other veggies on the black list besides Potatoes and corn. So Bananas would not be a good addition yet I wouldn't think."

Again, everyone is different. Higher carb vegetables include carrots, sweet potatoes and other root vegetables. You may want to go easy on these at first, and adjust your intake as you go along. As for the fruit, bananas, dates, figs, and other dried fruit is high in carbs and can stop you from losing weight if you eat too much.

Good luck, the paleo way of eating is wonderful!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 12:33

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Welcome Judy MH

As ArcticSlug mentioned, berries are great. I have one cup of frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries or strawberries) for dessert everyday after supper (frozen cause we can't get them where I'm at in the winter). For lunch I have either an apple, orange, plum, kiwi, peach, grapes or cherries, depending on availability. I never have fruit by itself, only right after eating lot's of fat and protein. I stay away from bananas and dried fruit and don't know much about the more exotic ones.

Regarding vegetables, besides potatoes, peas and corn, the NeanderThin author Ray Audette also states that beans in any form are not good for you including green and wax beans. My favorites are tomatoes, avocados, all green, leafy ones, especially spinach, brussel sprouts, cabbage, mushrooms, onions, well the list is almost limitless. When I make a meatloaf, I add diced mushrooms, pickles, all coloured peppers, celery, onions with a bit of shredded cheese (I know, it's not allowed) and it always comes out moist and juicy without breadcrumbs.

One of the things that I've noticed is that besides not counting calories or carbs, making meals from scratch has become faster, simpler and easier than before. Within one hour of coming home from work, I've cooked supper, eaten and have started on the dishes.

Once you have been experimenting with this diet, you will find what works for you. Good luck to you and let us know how you do.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 22:19
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 180/148/130 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:unknown
Progress: 64%

Thank you both for your response. I haven't made the switch yet, but am leaning towards making the plunge. Just got my 2 books so will be reading them as well. I picked up another book at a local bookstore written by a woman who thinks she has a handle on what our ancestors ate as well. It all gets confusing after awhile. I'll let you know how it all works out, hopefully I won't gain any weight. ((BLESSINGS))