Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 18:14

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default True Paleo eating, How do you do it?

I started the lc way of life back in July after reading Atkins and hearing success stories from people with blood sugar woes. To sum it up, I have PCOS and have had blood sugar and other problems since puberty. After starting Atkins diet, I had high energy and felt great all the time. I started reading everything I could on lc and came across both this forum and "Neanderthin." Since I've read numerous books and articles and know that the Paleo diet is the ideal diet. I've structured my diet so most of my food is meat (red meat at that), followed by a good amount of veggies, limited fruit, and lastly a little dairy in the form of cream and some cheese. I know the dairy doesn't align with Paleo eating, but it seems to react agreably with my body.

My next and last goal in attaining the perfect diet is to eat totally organic foods like veggies grown without pesticides, grass-fed no antibiotic beef, free-range eggs, etc. I'm getting close by buying veggies and meat at a Wild Oats near me. The only glitch is buying the meat I want seems to be very cost-prohibitive and even at Wild Oats, a lot of their beef is still corn fed.

Has anyone in this forum been able to fully switch to this complete Paleo 'organic' life? If not, what exceptions do you make in your diet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 23:44

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

Will pass along something i heard from one of the "down under" members, it seems that lamb from Australia/New Zealand is grass-fed. So I've been buying boneless leg of lamb from Costco, it's only $4 something as opposed to 10 or 12 for the Coleman's beef, or similar for bison, when i can get it. Cut that leg into a bunch of chops, I like it and feel better about it than all those grains and hormones. Bill
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:29

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Shazzer:
I also have problems finding stuff I can afford. In my town, every Saturday local farmers set up stalls in malls or special areas where they sell their produce, range fed chickens, free-run eggs, cheeses, vegetables, etc. These markets do not provide everything that I require, but at least some of it at reasonable prices. Perhaps you could check and see if the same thing exists in your area. Good luck. Also, one of our local supermarkets has an organics section for green salad veggies and other items that are not all that much more expensive than regular items. It took me a while to find what I needed especially on a limited budget, but I am discovering new sources all the time. Good luck to you and every success in this new way of eating.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Shazzer,

Here are a couple links for ya...

http://www.heall.com/resource/food/ohio.htm

http://www.eatwild.com/products/ohio.html

I have established relationships with several farms and meat processing plants in my area. I buy in bulk, which makes it very affordable. I now get all my meat from farms near to where I live. All these farms raise animals naturally, and on grass! I get deer, elk, bison, beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, etc. Some friends of mine raise south american chickens totally range free (they even roost in the trees!). I get all my eggs from them (and eat most of them raw - the yolks). Even my cat is eating raw eggs and good raw meat now! I purchase my veggies (organic) from Wild Oats and/or farmers markets. It is well worth the time to research farms in your area. You live in an area where you CAN consume the good stuff! You (and the planet and the creatures on it) will be much better off for it!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Thu, Oct-30-03 at 14:46.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 17:36

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey Shazzer,
How are you? There is a place not far from wild oats that sells the grass fed. it is frozen. it's on northwest blvd and king ( i think ... i will check it out for you..)
glad you are feeling well, take care, Kay
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 00:05

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have been doing Atkins, but your diet is appealing because I so love meat. I am so happy that meat is considered "diet food." I have sustained only mild boughts of constipation in the beginning of the Atkins diet. Now I am so regular, I go once a day sometimes twice. I eat a wide variety of vegetables and I feel wonderful. I am not plugged up and I have lost 25 lbs without hunger or major spikes in insulin. My migraines are almost non-existant.I think I have had 2 migraines since last Thanksgiving when I started lcing.

Black57