Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-13, 09:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Lupin/Coconut Flour Bowl Muffin

I'm getting quite fond of Lupin flour which, I should warn you, you almost certainly won't find in a store.

This is one of those recipes, i.e. mine, where the measurements are sometimes approximations. You don't need to be precise.

Too much lupin flour and it can taste a bit "beany", but too much coconut flour makes it dry. Today I actually measure and it came out pretty nicely:

.6 oz of Lupin flour
.3 oz of coconut flour
1/3 tsp of baking powder
A pinch of xanthan gum (optional, probably)
=======
Mix together all these dry ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. You can optionally cut in some warm butter to make it a bit more like a biscuit. Or not.

Next take one egg and crack it over the top of the dry ingredients. Kind of beat the egg with a fork and start to incorporate the dry stuff. Mix until the egg is thoroughly incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with your fork. Add a bit of water if it is too dry.

Microwave for 1-2 minutes, depending on your microwave. If the muffin looks raw in places, put it back for another 30 seconds.

Run a knife around the bowl and then cut it in half with a serrated knife.

Now, this gives you a good-sized muffin to slather with stuff like butter, soft-spreadable cheese, and so on.

More tips: Treat it like short bread. Put berries on it and top with whipped cream. Treat it like pancakes and drown it in sugar-free syrup (I love Monin Blackberry). Treat it like dessert and put LC lemon curd in the middle, juicy berries on top and maybe decadent whipped cream.

The "muffin" itself as described above (without butter cut in) is:
1.4 net carbs, 15.5g protein, 8g fat, 8.9g of fiber

I often make one of these to take to work and cart along whatever topping I want. Reheat at work and YUM!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-13, 14:25
Experimenter

BF:

I started dropping the coconut flour and I now use 1/4 C of lupin flour. I just thought that makes it much easier.

Also, sometimes I add lemon juice and sweetener. Scoop a divot out of the bowl muffin, put some frozen/heated raspberries in it and some mascarpone/sour cream or something like that. Then I replace the divot and eat.

I poured Blackberry Monin syrup on it too. Yum!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-13, 00:01

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

Sounds great, I just started using lupin flour, if it wasn't two in the morning I'd make one now.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-13, 08:45
Experimenter

BF:

All right... I made a lupin flour cinnamon bun last night. It was to DIE for. Unfortunately, I sort of winged it, so I can't tell you exactly how I did it.

It was the basic recipe above, but with 1/4c of lupin flour, with added dry sweeteners (various sorts).

I cut in some softened butter with a fork until most of the flour had turned into little "pills".

Then I cracked my egg on top of that mess and work it until the egg was absorb.

About 1.5-2 minutes in the micro and then I topped the hot bun with mascarpone cheese mixed with sweetener and cinnamon. You could use any sort of soft cheese, like cream cheese, and play around with flavors for it.

AWESOME!