Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#61   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 07:57

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm103
Before I found this website I really wanted to loose weight, and I was determined to lose it, and so I was thinking of the Cambridge diet (it seems to be quite big in the UK at the moment) http://www.cambridge-diet.com/
basically, you have to go to a specially trained counsellers, and their diet consists of flavoured shakes, about 150 calories each once made. There are various programmes, but their most popular was the 3 shakes a day, and that is it. I think that works out at about 420 calories a day (all low fat and low carb) (I think their other beginner program is 2 shakes a day, plus a high protein low fat and low carb meal). At the time I thought "excellent, you lose tons of weight, are under the supervision of these counsellers (and there are a lot in the UK) the shakes have all these vitamins and minerals "(that is drilled into you), I am going to be skinny. Basically it seems to be a liquid Kimkins. Yes you loose weight, but personally I think my health is more important. These low fat low carb low everthing plans just sound to dangerous...
LOL, the Cambridge Diet might have been big here in the UK during the 1980s, but it definitely isn't now.

The new VLCD in vogue here is one called Lighterlife, another shakes and counsellor-supervised weight loss programme. Having read the write up about it here, it's definitely not one that I'd recommend personally.

The trouble is, no matter how much you rage against Kimkims, there'll unfortunately always be something else to take it's place.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 07:58

Plan: it varies
Stats: 245/134/140 Female 5'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 106%

true...but at least those plans are medically supervised.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 08:52
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

I just read this one - I realize I hadn't thought of Kimkins this way before and it seems to nail it, Kimmer is trying to convince everyone that her plans fit all weight loss models and she targets almost every preconceived notion of what needs to happen to lose weight in one neat little package!

Kimkins Manipulation: One Diet Fits All Dietary Patterns

It takes a clever mind to design a diet that appeals to every segment of the population.

Do you believe since fat has more calories per gram than protein or carbohydrate one should limit fat in a weight loss diet?

Kimkins resonates with you; her plan is low fat.

Do you believe that a calorie is a calorie and calories need to be strictly accounted for in a weight loss diet?

Kimkins resonates with you; her plan is a very low calorie diet (vLCD) by design.

Do you believe that fatty meats, red meat and even dark meat poultry has too many calories and needs to be limited in a diet to lose weight?

Kimkins resonates with you; her plan is lean protein only.

Do you think eggs are high in cholesterol and contribute to high cholesterol?

Kimkins resonates with you, her plans recommend consuming only the egg white, free of cholesterol.

Do you believe that a vegetarian dietary pattern is healthier and a better diet to lose weight?

Kimkins resonates with you; her diet site offers a vegetarian option too!

Do you believe that dairy products should be limited in a healthful diet?

Kimkins resonates with you, her plans limit or restrict consumption of dairy.

Do you believe that there are good carbs and bad carbs and that restricting carbohydrate is important in a diet to lose weight?

Once again, Kimkins resonates with you, her diet is touted as a low carbohydrate diet too!

Imagine that! A diet that encompasses all the various theories about weight loss and healthful eating all wrapped up into one plan.

The fact is her diet plans are actually only one of the above, a very low calorie diet (vLCD).

By design, each and every plan offered at Kimkins, is strict and very low calorie. This glaring fact is obliterated by the careful wording in the marketing of the diet that screams ‘fast weight loss’; it is the exact message someone desperate to lose weight wants to hear; they can lose weight fast, without exercise, without supplements, without diet pills, without surgery, without pre-packaged foods.

All you must do is leave your common sense at the door.

You know there is no one diet that fits every single dietary theory, yet you’re expected to believe it’s true with Kimkins.

Use your common sense. It’s not true. You know it, so move along and find a weight loss diet that can provide documented safety data, encourages you to ask and seek answers, and that does not expect you to starve yourself willingly!
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 09:03
~writes for Him~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie 71
robin! i see you're from maryland.

i grew up in baltimore...lived there 'til i left for college at 17.

then here recently, a couple of years ago i moved to frederick...but only lasted there for about 9 months before hauling my butt back here to austin again. turns out i'm so NOT a "winter" girlie! LOL

Yeah it does get colder and icier out in Frederick. I'm north of Baltimore City, west of Towson. It's so hot here now I am wishing for some snowy weather.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 09:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB
Yeah it does get colder and icier out in Frederick. I'm north of Baltimore City, west of Towson. It's so hot here now I am wishing for some snowy weather.

well, all i know is...snow & ice is cool when you're a kid 'cause it meant no school...snowmen, snowforts, snowball battles, sno-cream, hot chocolate and grilled cheese sandwiches w/hot soup!

but as a grown up having to shovel, de-ice, drive, still go to work, etc....it bites! not nearly as much fun as i remembered, lol!
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 09:10

BF:

wow regina...

that IS eye-opening...

thanks for that!
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 09:12
~writes for Him~

BF:

Quote:
well, all i know is...snow & ice is cool when you're a kid 'cause it meant no school...snowmen, snowforts, snowball battles, sno-cream, hot chocolate and grilled cheese sandwiches w/hot soup!

but as a grown up having to shovel, de-ice, drive, still go to work, etc....it bites! not nearly as much fun as i remembered, lol!

You are absolutely right, it just means work now, but why do I still get that sense of excitement when it snows? Just like a kid.

Regina--I agree, very interesting perspective!
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 09:37

BF:

another new site:

http://www.kimkinscontroversy.com/2007/07/

so far, it just seems to be collecting info from the aforementioned sites already listed at the beginning of this thread...but interesting nonetheless just to see the number of "anti" kimkins blogs grow...people are really starting to push back.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 09:49

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I see a lot of them say 'wordpress' at the bottom. Are they all from the same group of people?
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 10:07

BF:

i think "wordpress" is just a blogger format system?
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 10:22

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

but it's one of many, no? Just found it suspicious.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 10:24

BF:

i don't care if they're all the same group of people anyway (though i doubt it)...

whatever it takes to get the word out that it's not safe!

good to see you again btw! *HUGS*
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 10:27
~writes for Him~

BF:

There is a new thread over at KK started by one of their members who has been overwhelmed by all the blogs, etc. she has stumbled upon. She says she knows she will be banned from KK by bringing it up, but she's upset and out $60.

The interesting part is the replies from other members--they state they don't care who or what Kimmer actually is--only that they are losing weight quickly. To them, nothing else matters.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 10:28
~writes for Him~

BF:

Quote:
i think "wordpress" is just a blogger format system?

A lot of blogs also say "blogger" and "typepad"--I think a lot of people use these blogging systems.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 10:33
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Quote:
they state they don't care who or what Kimmer actually is--only that they are losing weight quickly.

They should read this -
"Feel" at Kimkins Survivors Blog

Pasted below -

Quote:
Feel.
July 30th, 2007

There is an immediate draw to a plan that promises you quick weight loss with no exercise. The plan promises you that you will not be hungry. It promises you quick results.

You sign up. You want to know more. You find out that many of the people there are having such fast losses. You want that, too.

Told to follow those with the best successes, you strive to emulate those successes. To make them your own.

You are hungry for a few days, but that goes away. Now you feel high. Happy. Light. You are eating 1200 calories a day and you don’t feel a thing.

The loss slows. You know you could probably do with a little less. You could cut a little here, shear a little there. You feel a little bit of hunger, but this time, it is only for a day. That leaves you quickly. You are eating 900 calories a day and you don’t feel a thing.

Your loss slows. You feel perhaps that you have cut back on your fiber too much, and read that others are using laxatives in different forms to keep things moving. You use this. It works. You decide that you will use this method every time you feel uncomfortable. Now you can cut back your caloric intake further. Those in the boot camp program are allowed up to 500 calories a day. You change. You conform. You are now eating 500 calories a day and you don’t feel a thing.

Your loss slows. It is said that you are eating too much because you are not exercising like the people in boot camp. You know you must be weak to not try harder. You must not want this bad enough. So you shift. You change things. Just a little. Just a smidge. Light as a feather, feeling high in your mind. No one notices your hair is brittle. It wouldn’t matter. You are now eating 300 calories a day and you don’t feel a thing.

Your loss slows. You feel palpitations occasionally as though your heart is fluttering. Your family has noticed. Your friends worry. You have made changes. You are strong in your mind, and others wouldn’t understand. They are not strong like you are. You will show them. You are now eating 200 calories a day and you are exercising. And you don’t feel a thing.

You don’t feel a thing.

The coroner pronounced you dead at 2:34 am this morning. You suffered a heart attack because your body consumed the muscles of your heart for energy, and your body could no longer sustain itself. Your mother sobs in the corner. Your daughter stands, glassy-eyed, holding your cold hand. She is four, and she doesn’t understand.

And you don’t feel a thing.
Closed Thread