Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 22:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/283/250 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default low carb cereal?

My mom bought me this carb well cereal...it says it has 9 net grams of carbs but on the nutrition facts its 14g total carbs, 5g fiber, but 4 grams of other carbs. so is it really 9 net carbs or shall i add the other 4 g of carbs to the 9 to get my total net carbs? oh yeah it has 5g of sugar so is that bad? not sugar alcohol just regular sugar
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 22:55

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 330/330/280 Female 5'6
BF:

Depends on which stage of atkins you're in. If you're in induction you DEF shouldn't be eating anything with 5g of sugar or even the cereal at all. If you're doing just a modified atkins diet where you're just lowering your carbs in general then it should be fine. Not sure about the net carbs in it though. I'd just go with the 9g net. Will you be using LC milk or regular milk with the cereal?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 22:58
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

It wouldn't be suitable until later OWL, if ever, in my opinion. The 9 net is reached by subtracting the 5 g of fiber from the total grams(14). The 9 grams "net" left over would be the 5 grams of sugar and the "other" would be starches.

Not a bargain in the carb department. I'll bet the serving size is a half-cup?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 23:14

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

I always wondered what "other carbs" mean also??
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 19:25

BF:

i have the low carb milk and ive been low carbing for 18 days. i ate the cereal today it was kinda nasty. tasted like stale graham crackers lol. but it satisfied my need for crunch. i dont think ill eat the cereal real often maybe once every other week because its 10 carbs for 3/4 a cup of the cereal and 1/2 cup of low carb milk
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 19:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/174/155 Female 5'11"
BF:size 18/12-14/8
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cute4u_04
its 10 carbs for 3/4 a cup of the cereal and 1/2 cup of low carb milk

LOL it's interesting because my hubby brought me some of the Carbwell cereal home from work. It actually calls for 1/2 cup fat free milk. Now we all know fat free is higher in carbs than whole milk.

...just another way companies prove they know nothing about their products but how to keep their calorie numbers down.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 20:10

BF:

I actually had LC cereal for breakfast this morning. I had Kellogg's 9g net cereal (1 cup) with 1 cup LC milk and 1 pkt splenda. Was pretty good.

I do atkins but I've revised it slightly so that I can include, on occassion, things like LC cereal, LC milk, as well as 1 slice whole wheat toast per day (provided I dont have another grain like cereal or LC pita chips). But my carbs still stay relatively low, I think no more than 35g on any given day.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 20:30

Stats: 165+/144/145 Female 5"9
BF:
Progress:

I finished induction, and I am in the Ongoing Weight Loss Stage (OWL). I added the 1/4 cup of Atkins ceral and just a little of the HOOD carbcountdown milk. I had this for breakfast twice this week - while it wasn't what I was used too - after not having anything crunchy like that or any sugar during induction, I found it good and satisfying. I've decided I actually like it dry and placed some measured amounts in small baggies. This is the food I added in this week, and I plan to eat it twice a week either as breakfast or as a snack (because of the crunch and sweet flavor). It was filling. My weight loss has slowed down, but I still lost a lb this week - so I'm happy to have the variety in my diet. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the other cereal suggestions. Your comments reinforce how important it is to read the labels...I need to do more of that...
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 21:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocreep
I actually had LC cereal for breakfast this morning. I had Kellogg's 9g net cereal (1 cup) with 1 cup LC milk and 1 pkt splenda. Was pretty good. .

uggg i hate you..i wanted some kelloggs and they were all sold out..they were on sale 3 boxes for 7 dollars...can you believe it..so instead i have these dog biscut stale graham cracker cereal lol.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 21:43

BF:

LoL. Sorry! I got mine for free actually. My cousin's wife works at some kinda school where they get all sorts of free foods so she brought huge bags of goodies for everybody like LC cereal, cans of artichoke hearts (they're $4 a can!), pastries (of course LoL), etc.

I'm sure your store will get more boxes in, so dont worry! Usually the stores down here run outta LC stuff on the first or 2nd day of the sale but on the 5th or 6th day get restocked.

Ya know if you wanna use up the icky cereal you could make chocolate peanut butter cereal clusters. A friend of mine used to do it with chex cereal, I think she called it dog chow or something, LMAO. She melted chocolate squares (obviously unsweetened for LCers) with peanut butter and poured it over chex cereal (use your LC cereal) then let them cool and tossed in powdered sugar (obviously omit). You could do similar just add 1-3 pkts of splenda to the unsweetened melted chocolate.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 21:50

BF:

thanks astro you are truly an inspiration at your great weight loss...but im still gonna fly to flordia and steal your cereal haha.. keep up the good work...you inspire me to keep going
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 01:20

Plan: Atkins for Life
Stats: 270/220/160 Female 67
BF:41.5/35.5/24.3
Progress: 45%
Default My 2 cents :)

Hi there,

I'm doing Atkins again after a hiatus to have two children. Yesterday I bought Atkins Morning Start Blueberry w/ almonds and I used Westsoy organic unsweetened soymilk (Dr. Atkins recommends unsweetened soymilk in his book - it is great tasting, high in fiber and a good source of protein.)

The cereal was 10g minus 6 fiber = 4 net carbs, (probably the blueberries, since they were dried real blueberries) and that was for 2/3 a cup, which I found fairly statisfying, especially for a snack. The soymilk has 5g of carbs minus 4 fiber = 1 carb, and that is for 1 cup soymilk . . . I only used 1/4 a cup with my cereal - so 4.25 grams carb for cereal is great, IMO.

Here are the totals: 125 calories - 3g fat - 15.5g protein - 11g carbs -minus 6.75g fiber (4.25g net carbs.)

Cheers,

Monica

Last edited by CocoaLvr : Tue, Jan-25-05 at 01:27.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 07:49

BF:

LoL 2cute =) Thanks alot =) You're doing good as well with your weightloss, just don't OD on the cereal =)
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 09:48

Stats: 220/217.5/165 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 5%

Im on induction and i had kelloggs cereal and soy milk. NOT MUCH, it was tasty!!!!!1