Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 09:50

Plan: The Drinking Man's Diet
Stats: 294/264.2/120 Female 63 inches
BF:48%
Progress: 17%
Default "Carbohydrates: Your Diet's Fuel"

Carbohydrates: Your Body's Fuel

Quote:
Many fad diets give carbohydrates a bad rap, leading you to believe that they're the cause of unwanted weight gain. But carbs are an essential part of a healthy diet.
By Diana Rodriguez
Medically reviewed by Lindsey Marcellin, MD, MPH

Before you feast on chicken and boycott carbs, take a closer look at the U.S. Food Pyramid.

Ohhhhh, the U.S. Food Pyramid! Well, that settles that! It wouldn't be on the pyramid if it wasn't true!

Quote:
Carbohydrates are highlighted as an important part of a healthy diet, and not banned by any means.

Banned? I know they're speaking figuratively, but what's this supposed to imply? "Don't worry, if it were bad for you the government would have outlawed it"? Well, I guess we can rest easy.

Quote:
Your body needs a wide variety of foods to function and stay healthy.

"Carbohydrate is one of the macronutrients that we need, primarily for energy," says Sandra Meyerowitz, MPH, RD, a nutritionist, online nutrition coach, and owner of Nutrition Works in Louisville, Ky. While fats and protein are also necessary for energy, they're more of a long-term fuel source, while carbohydrates fulfill the body's most immediate energy needs. "It's your body's first source of energy — that's what it likes to use," adds Meyerowitz. Why does the body prefer carbs? Specifically because they're easier and faster to break down and use than proteins or fats, she explains. So don't deny your body what it needs to keep up with your active lifestyle.

What Are the Types of Carbohydrates?

There are two types of carbohydrates: simple and complex. Complex carbohydrates, which should make up most of your carbohydrate intake, require more work and take longer for your body to break down.

"It's a slower process," says Meyerowitz. But that’s a good thing — while simple carbohydrates are broken down more quickly, they don't do much for your body. Because complex carbohydrates are broken down slowly, they give your bloodstream a more consistent level of energy, so you avoid the "highs and lows" that simple carbohydrates can give you, explains Meyerowitz.

What's the Best Source of Carbs?

You need to get between 50 and 60 percent of your daily calories from carbohydrates, according to Meyerowitz. Most should be whole grains and other complex carbohydrates, but the fiber in fruits and vegetables make them a good simple carbohydrate choice. If you don't get enough carbohydrates, you run the risk of depriving your body of the calories and nutrients it needs, or of replacing healthy carbs with unhealthy fats.

To get the carbs you need, fill your plate with the best carbohydrate sources for your body:

* Whole grains like barley, bulgur, buckwheat, quinoa, and oats
* Whole-wheat and other whole-grain breads
* Brown rice
* Whole-wheat pasta
* Fruits and vegetables
* Beans, lentils, and dried peas
* Whole-grain cereals like 100 percent bran

This doesn't mean that you're never allowed to have a sweet treat for dessert, a bowl of white rice, or a baked potato. It just means that those should be the exceptions instead of everyday carbohydrate selections.

At the same time, you should also avoid loading up on complex carbohydrates or making them your primary source of calories. A diet too rich in even complex carbohydrates — or in any food — packs more calories into your body, which eventually leads to weight gain.

Complex carbohydrates are good for you, so don't look at a bowl of hearty whole-wheat pasta or brown rice as a bad thing or a big diet no-no. Instead, consider it a source of healthy fuel that your body needs to maintain consistent energy.
Everyday Health Network Copyright © 2011 Everyday Health, Inc.

Urgh. Think of all those poor people choking down whole-wheat pasta and brown rice because they've been told those things are good for them.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 10:02

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
By Diana Rodriguez
Medically reviewed by Lindsey Marcellin, MD, MPH

Unfortunately, there is not a single external neutral reference for any claim made therein. Take the old advice, get a second opinion.
Quote:
This section created and produced exclusively by the editorial staff of EverydayHealth.com. © 2011 EverydayHealth.com; all rights reserved.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 10:06

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

First they claim that carbs are a better source of energy because they break down quickly, then they claim that complex carbs are best because they break down slowly.

Quote:
Why does the body prefer carbs? Specifically because they're easier and faster to break down and use than proteins or fats, she explains. So don't deny your body what it needs to keep up with your active lifestyle.

Quote:
Complex carbohydrates, which should make up most of your carbohydrate intake, require more work and take longer for your body to break down.

"It's a slower process," says Meyerowitz. But that’s a good thing — while simple carbohydrates are broken down more quickly, they don't do much for your body. Because complex carbohydrates are broken down slowly, they give your bloodstream a more consistent level of energy, so you avoid the "highs and lows" that simple carbohydrates can give you, explains Meyerowitz.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandra
First they claim that carbs are a better source of energy because they break down quickly, then they claim that complex carbs are best because they break down slowly.

I noticed that too! What the hell? How can they themselves not notice these things?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 10:30

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I just wonder how people ever survived prior to whole grain bread. I bet they were super duper unhealthy, dying of heart attacks left and right.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 10:40

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

I can just so much imagine this text being spoken in the same fashion as the words in the "pillow-speakers" in Huxley's Brave New World.

Anyhow the difference between voice under the pillow repeating constantly that it's "good to be a delta" isn't very different from the multitude of articles we get to read about "how good it is to eat carbs, no matter if they are simple or complex".

The more I read about "nutrition" nowadays, the more I get the idea anyway that worlds such as the Brave New one and Orwell's 1984 are no longer fiction
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 11:00

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
"It's your body's first source of energy — that's what it likes to use," adds Meyerowitz. Why does the body prefer carbs? Specifically because they're easier and faster to break down and use than proteins or fats, she explains. So don't deny your body what it needs to keep up with your active lifestyle.

If it weren't for my caring what actually happens to my health, candy would be my first choice of fuel--it's what my body would like to use! And quick and easy to break down compared to healthy proteins or fats, too! So does that make it okay with these guys? It is nothing but pure carbohydrate after all. Sigh.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 13:16

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

sorry ....LOL ..LOL..LOL
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-11, 15:35

Plan: WAPF
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 0'0"
BF:0%/0%/0%
Progress: 163%

What the people probably fail to realize is that most grains over in other countries have 75% of the bran removed, or are sour-fermented, or are sprouted. They also fail to realize that they aren't usually made with non-intact whole grain flour. And as I said in the obesity topic, they don't have enormous amounts of seed oils and HFCS.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 05:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 227/205/184 Male 5foot7inches
BF:
Progress:

a bad case of nutritional ignorance. whole grains aint even good for cows.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 07:11

Plan: Schwarzbein/Bernstein
Stats: 355/240/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

I used to eat plenty of complex carbs. All that "fuel" just got stored.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 07:35

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

My question has always been this: do people really ever eat "whole" grains? I mean, do people consistently boil some barley and eat that? Do people steam up a plate of whole wheat kernels? Of course not. Whole wheat bread is NOT a whole grain. Whole wheat pasta is not a whole grain. Both are highly processed and refined. All I want to do is call out the elephant in the room. We could argue on the other point if actual whole grains are healthy. I personally do not think that they are, but I would wager that if people really were eating WHOLE grains, they would likely have much fewer health problems than eating them is such a processed state.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 07:44

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
simple carbohydrates are broken down more quickly, they don't do much for your body...so you avoid the "highs and lows" that simple carbohydrates can give you, explains Meyerowitz.

Quote:
the fiber in fruits and vegetables make them a good simple carbohydrate choice.

Ohmigodthelogicalcircles
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 15:47

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

People like this always say the body prefers carbs for fuel because it burns carb first. The fact is that the first thing your body burns is alcohol. So using their logic, instead of pasta, rice and bread, we should be fueling ourselves with Jack Daniels, Jim Beam and Southern Comfort!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
People like this always say the body prefers carbs for fuel because it burns carb first. The fact is that the first thing your body burns is alcohol. So using their logic, instead of pasta, rice and bread, we should be fueling ourselves with Jack Daniels, Jim Beam and Southern Comfort!

Hey, that can be the next big fad diet! We'll make a mint!