Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-11, 14:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default #1 Health Risk: Dietary Toxins

Targeted by the Healthy Skeptic, they are:

* Cereal grains (especially refined flour)
* Omega-6 industrial seed oils (corn, cottonseed, safflower, soybean, etc.)
* Sugar (especially high-fructose corn syrup)
* Processed soy (soy milk, soy protein, soy flour, etc.)

Can't argue with that.

Read the whole blog post.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-11, 14:34

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Soy is the tough one to eliminate. It seems to get put into many things.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-11, 16:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Wow, some of the comments kill me!

Y'know, I honestly enjoy helping people wrap their heads around this whole "conventional wisdom is wrong!!" LC thing. I remember what it was like to have to surrender my convictions. But sometimes, I get grumpy and hopeless about it and think that people almost deserve poor health when they make lame excuses like, "in this modern world, it's impossible to exclude these foods. I'm not cooking eggs every morning." That's not a direct quote, but it was along those lines. My chin hit the floor. Is this what humanity has come to?! That an otherwise well-spoken, obviously-intelligent person can't fathom not relying on Starbucks, Kraft and General Mills to feed them?! Holy crow, boiling eggs on a Sunday afternoon or throwing meat and veggies in a crockpot is not slave labour! Maybe the West is heading for a massive chlorination of the gene pool, a la social Darwinism.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-11, 16:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine

people almost deserve poor health when they make lame excuses like, "in this modern world, it's impossible to exclude these foods. I'm not cooking eggs every morning."

Yeah, that was a lulu, but my favorite was the person who whined, "What else is there to eat? It's your responsibility to tell me what to replace these foods with."

#5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-11, 16:56

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
I honestly enjoy helping people wrap their heads around this whole "conventional wisdom is wrong!!" LC thing.
Me too! A dear friend--bona fide sugarholic--has recently decided to give LC a fair trial. I fixed her up with Atkins and Taubes, and she accepted me as her coach. Normally, I wouldn't do this, because Coach quickly devolves into Devil. "Friends" start to avoid you.

The hardest part? Unlearning all she ever knew--and paid dearly to learn-- about eating, as she tentatively reaches for the mayo and the butter and the cream cheese at the grocery store. Not to mention the bacon and the Big Red Meat.

What?? No Wheat Thins? No popcorn? No GRAPES??

Sigh.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-11, 17:52

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I quite liked this comment:

Quote:
More over, Romans dragged grain mills along to their battles and they were quite successfull in the outcomes of those battles. They are also known for their road building, aquaduct building, their baths and generally for their highly developed society.

Coming soon to a bookstore near you: The Roman Diet: Win Battles, Install Plumbing
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-11, 17:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne2
I quite liked this comment:

Coming soon to a bookstore near you: The Roman Diet: Win Battles, Install Plumbing

Yes, that comment section is quite a hoot.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-11, 18:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This comment;

Quote:
It is a facet of today’s society that we are all in a hurry and to try and stop and read the labels of everything is not practical. I’ve tried….

Easy answer for this; buy food that doesn't need a label. Or at least with a very short ingredient list.

It's kind of amazing that people need to be told not to eat soy. I've tried it as a "nut", as little bits of what looked and tasted like eraser rubbings in vegetarian chile, as a pudding, or eaten the actual bean out of a can. It just doesn't taste good.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-11, 19:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Easy answer for this; buy food that doesn't need a label. Or at least with a very short ingredient list.

Someone further down the page suggested that. But you know, I'm convinced such people will simply come up with another excuse.

They don't want to change the way they eat.

I'm semi-sympathetic... I didn't want to, either. But if they only knew... food tastes better now.

Because it is real food.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-11, 05:22

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine

Y'know, I honestly enjoy helping people wrap their heads around this whole "conventional wisdom is wrong!!" LC thing. I remember what it was like to have to surrender my convictions. But sometimes, I get grumpy and hopeless about it and think that people almost deserve poor health when they make lame excuses like, "in this modern world, it's impossible to exclude these foods. I'm not cooking eggs every morning." That's not a direct quote, but it was along those lines. My chin hit the floor. Is this what humanity has come to?! That an otherwise well-spoken, obviously-intelligent person can't fathom not relying on Starbucks, Kraft and General Mills to feed them?! Holy crow, boiling eggs on a Sunday afternoon or throwing meat and veggies in a crockpot is not slave labour! Maybe the West is heading for a massive chlorination of the gene pool, a la social Darwinism.

You are my hero! You summed everything up so nicely! I give up most times because people just don't even want to try. I can explain it to them until I am blue in the face but if it actually requires them to DO something, forget it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-11, 15:40
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default The China Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Yes, that comment section is quite a hoot.
Did anyone bring up "The China Study" yet? -- that seems to be a standard counter to us eating red meat.