Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 23:17

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

I dont know what the need to add more color to it would be

The color might be added to the fish food to please people, not the fish. They're always doing stuff like that. Haven't you seen all the cute little dog and cat treats in the pet stores? Your dog doesn't care if a biscuit is shaped like the Easter bunny, but then, your dog isn't the one making the purchase. And aren't the dog food commercials entertaining, with dogs doing happy dances when they are served their meals?

I guess we shouldn't be surprised at anything the pet food manufacturers come up with. Considering the garbage the American food industry creates for humans, why should we expect anything better when they manufacture food for our pets?

And BTW,
Even the wild racoons in my neighborhood are eating chinese take-out from my neighbor's overturned garbage cans. And FYI, they are grossly fat. The raccoons, that is. (And so are my neighbors, come to think of it.)

Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:25

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Raw food for my pets

I've been feeding raw meat to my dog and cat (Bandit and Ruggles) for over a year and a half and they are both in excellent health -- and my Bandit's diabetes is totally controlled -- he'll be 14 on Thursday and he's as spry and healthy as a dog at least 5 years younger!

What I do is get a product that is frozen ground chicken and bones at the local Natural Foods Co-op. To that I add ground chicken livers, gizzards and hearts that I grind myself and olive oil and salmon oil. (I use the ground meat and bones because Bandit's teeth and gums are bad from all his previous years on dog "food.")

I add the organ meats for the vitamins and minerals the meat alone doesn't have. And I add the olive oil because they are not getting all the fat they would be getting from eating a whole carcass.

As far as I'm concerned, I will never feed dog or cat "food" to them or any other pets I have again.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 22:29

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Yay Deb! I am such a proponent of raw feedings. I agree with a dog with teeth problems you have to grind it. Bu you might also give him a chicken wing or something and see how he handles it.

I can't afford to buy the packaged stuff....and I hear there's a lot of good ones. Mine are also still young (about 15 months) and I'm hoping this will KEEP their teeth and gums healthy. I do know I've never seen such white teeth!

I give mine organ meats too. They love beef heart, which I cut into chunks and freeze...giblets too....we use these mostly as treats, rather than giving them biscuits (they get them once in a while too).

I'll never go back to packaged foods! Heck, I'm looking for a freezer to make things easier! LOL