Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 21:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221/214/
BF:
Progress:
Default Splenda?????

Hi! I have been doing a lot of reading online about candida and have started a program today. Everything that i read said that artificial sweeteners weren't allowed, including splenda, but I found a thread from this site that said it is okay.
Does anyone know for sure whether or not splenda is allowed?
It would make this diet sooooo much easier, but not worth blowing the program if it isn't allowed.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 22:27

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 143/137/120
BF:too much!
Progress: 26%

hi Lexi, I've been on the diet about a week and a half. I know what you're saying about the sugar, it's definitely the hardest thing to give up, also you don't realise until you start reading labels that it's in everything!

Anyhu, from what I understand artificial sweetners with aspartame aren't allowed, they feed the candida . I'm not too sure about Splenda as we don't have the product in New Zealand, but I've been using stevia (a natural sweetner) which is very strong and works well when you NEEEEEED something sweet.

Best to be quite cautious, if you're unsure don't use it.

good luck!
Row
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 19:30

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Splenda is a no no for a candida diet - sorry! I know how you feel, I miss sugar, too! Try Stevia. Kind of strange tasting at first, but you sorta get used to it!

-Denise
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 07:44
Registered Member

Plan: mostly Atkins
Stats: 152/132/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I don't understand why splenda is a no no. I use it and haven't had any more yeast problems once I got past the purging phase. Studies have shown that splenda can not be metabolized by yeast or bacteria. It passes through your body completely unmetabolized. That is the basis of its safety testing because if it were metabolized it could release the clorinated breakdown products which would make it unsafe.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 07:57
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Actually, splenda or any other artificial sweetener isn't a problem for Candida. It's the FILLERS that are used with these products ... typically dextrose and maltodextrin, which are carbs and will feed the yeastie beasties. These carbs are also derived from grain ... usually corn, sometimes barley .. and that can also aggravate a candida or IBS problem.

BTW, even some brands of powdered stevia will have these fillers, so you need to read labels carefully. However, some newer brands of stevia are using inulin as the filler, which is chicory root extract (also called chicolin). This is a fiber that is good for the beneficial bacteria in the gut, and can also help improve calcium absorption. Some brands of yogurt have inulin added, which is a good thing. Because it's a fiber, it's not absorbed and does not affect insulin or blood sugar.

Generally, liquid forms of artificial sweeteners are "safe" because the filler is usually just water. Liquid stevia extract may contain glycerin, which is ok, since you only use a drop or two at a time. Glycerin does not feed the yeast.

Unfortunately, liquid Splenda is not available in most countries, only for industrial use in food manufacturing.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 08:00
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Just an added note ... I forgot to say that aspartame/Equal/Nutrasweet may not be a safe sweetener to use for Candida, because it potentially breaks down and ferments into formaldehyde in the intestine. This is not desirable when you also have toxins from yeast and other intestinal inflammation going on.

my 2¢

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 06:41
Registered Member

Plan: mostly Atkins
Stats: 152/132/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 63%

While you can't get straight liquid splenda, you can buy products with it. The DaVinci syrups can be used for flavorings and sweeteners in recipes, you can make jello with Diet Rite soda flavors, and you can buy an uflavored form of splenda called fiberfit. The packets of Splenda have a small amount of maltodextrin and dextrine <1 g (no barley malt though so it is gluten free), much less than you would get in the way of sugars than is allowed on most candida diets but it is there.

To me Stevia tastes like licorice which I hate but for those that like it, it is a good alternative.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 21:22

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 143/137/120
BF:too much!
Progress: 26%
Default sweetners

just on this sweetner issue, any thoughts on using maple syrup (100% natural) or rice syrup (made from brown rice). I read on a candida website that maple syrup is allowed but I wanna get other opinons because it is soooo sweet I feel like I might be doing the wrong thing having it.

Row
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 09:24

Stats: 221/214/
BF:
Progress:

Thanks so much for all the info.
I mostly use Davinci syrups and Diet Rite Cola, only occaisionally packets, so I will cut the packets out. I hadn't even thought about the fillers. I just couldn't stand the thought of only drinking water. I force myself to drink it, but it's not my beverage of choice.
Thanks Again!
Lexi
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 12:06

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey ROwena:
My instinct is to say AVOID maple syrup at first (the pure stuff I assume). I'm sure because it has a much lower sugar content for the strong flavor it may be a good thing to use when you are trying to maintain control over the candida (the thought of adding splenda to the 100% pure maple syrup sounds like it may work for use as a sweetener on your low carb pancakes ).