Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 19:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/136/140 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Yeast Test

From another diet thing I read this:

"Yeast can be detected in saliva. Put a glass of water on your nightstand before retiring. First thing in the morning immediately upon arising (even before clearing your throat or brushing your teeth) gather some saliva in your mouth and spit it into the glass. Within minutes, if there is any yeast in your system, the saliva will immediately clump together and begin to "leak" down into the glass of water in "tentacle-like" fashion. It resembles a jellyfish if you've seen them under water.

If the saliva sinks down to the bottom of the glass quickly, you should consult a Health Professional to begin a cleansing program. Weight loss supplements may not absorb well in the presence of high yeast levels, but this can frequently be corrected easily with anti-yeast products.

If there is not too much yeast in your system, the saliva will simply disperse on the top and not sink"

Looks at DANDR, the too-much yeast symptoms are like very common for me. Dunno if this works but I'll give it a whirl.

Comments/suggestions on an easier way to know?

Thanx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 19:48
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Try it and tell me if it works. It sounds more like an old wives tale though.

I saw some pills to treat yeast in the intestines. I'm not sure if I have it or not though and would like to know. Can't really afford to go to doctor for testing though as I have no insurance,
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 20:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Even if the test shows yeast (not at all convinced that it's any kind of reliable test), I'm not convinced that a "cleansing" program would be needed. DANDR, does provide an "anti yeast" regimen that is quite effective at getting rid of the yeasty beasties quite quickly without risking also destroying the healthy needed flora in your body.
Yeast need sugar to thrive and replicate. Low carb deprives them of that, so they would likely die out on their own even without an anti-yeast regimen..it just might take longer.
FWIW, I used to get yeast infections montly before I began low carb and my blood sugars were out of control. Haven't had a single yeast infection in 2 years now.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 20:55
Registered Member

BF:

Actually, the book recommends that you cut out all dairy for up to 5 weeks.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 05:25

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Sox:

in my book he recommends cutting out aged cheese(chedder/brie/blue cheeses), but other cheeses e.g.: cream cheese/mozarella/feta cheese are ok?? is it different in your book??
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 10:33
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Here is a good web site that lists 3 different anti-candida diets. And Grapefruit Seed Extract (liguid) is a good anti-fungal that's cheep. I use it. Anti-candida diet Hope this helps.

I cut out all grains, dairy, fruit, nuts, & sugar for 3 months and all my symptoms went away. I recently had a flare up and started an antifungal again at night and in 3 days it went away.

Liz
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 18:23
Registered Member

BF:

Well I did the spit into the water thing and in about 5-10 mins I did see some "sinkage" and jelly fish type behavior. Ofcourse those instructions weren't all that detailed so I have no idea what that actually means. I haven't a clue how to tell if I have a yeast problem or not. The DANDR pg 332 lists a whole host of yeast symptoms. I can answer yes to 7/15. I'm also on (and have been for months) antibiotics which is listed as a provoker on pg 333.

PG 335 says to cut all yeast-and mold-containing foods for 4-6 weeks although it lists mozzarella and cream cheese as being ok.

PG 336 says that Probiotics are good and to find one with Acidophilus but also bifidobacterium and bulgaricus. Ones that that do not have to be refrigereated are preferable (so he says but doesn't list why except that they don't need to be stored in a fridge! ).. Cannot be milk based either.

Caprylic or undecenylic acid, oil of oregano and olive leaf extract are also listed as helpers.

OK. so what I want to know is if there is a dead on yeast test or something. I'm taking mild antibiotics (doxycycline hyclate 50mg 2x/day) currently (and for one more month) to help clear up acne. That won't stop as I'd rather be 10 pounds overweight than start breaking out again. I don't care about spending money really, I mean of course I care but if buying those probiotics will do the trick (how long are you supposed to take them?) then I'm all for it. Cutting all cheese and molds out for 4-6 weeks though will be very difficult as I'm just adding this stuff back in because my fat % was so low..

sigh.. ideas?

Thanks
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 18:41
Registered Member

BF:

Here's anothing link that talks about that same test.

http://www.adhdrelief.com/CandidaTest.html
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 12:41

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey Sox:
you will find that the antiobiotics takes care of your acne but it is only supressing it temporarily and making a candida infection worse. I made this mistake and took the Bactrim the doc prescribed...yup...worked on the acne but then I had a candida flare up within 6 months. If you get yourself completely off of the sugars and carbs (within human reason) and no antibiotics or birth control pills, you will find the acne going away on its own. I occasionally use retin-A on the skin to help peel the layers back so the acne can *fly and be free* somewhere else in the universe.