Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 17:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 294/255/155 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Antibiotics/probiotics

OK, I don't know too much about yeast, so please help me out. Never had a problem b4, but recently started taking antibiotics for rosacea. Lost just fine on Induction for 2 weeks then weight loss stopped for 4. During all my checks for what could be causing this I decided that I must have a yeast problem.

I checked out the Dr. Crooke test and my score was only 97, so the yeast problem must not be too bad.

This week I started to take probiotics. Will this counteract the antibiotics? And will I be able to eat the foods I have quit now? How long??? Do I just play it by ear? Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks!!!
Echo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:24
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Probiotics replace the beneficial bacterial that are supposed to be in your intestines that the antibiotics kill when they kill the bad bacteria also. Antibiotics can't tell the difference. The pro-b's won't effect the antibiotics. But as long as you're taking antibiotics it will kill some of the pro-b's you are taking now. Can you use a topical antibiotic instead of an oral one?

Depends on the foods you quit. If it's something that feeds the yeast, I'd say don't eat it for a few weeks till your yeast symptoms go away.

Good luck.

Liz
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:34

BF:
Default What symptoms

Well, as far as I know, (which doen't seem to be alot these days) I don't really have any symptoms that are obvious. Just the weight stall. I quit mushrooms and cheese, which were the only things I was eating that aggrevate yeast.

I just figured that if I was taking the antibiotic , it must be yeast problem. Especially since the weight started to come off again. I don't know, maybe it was just the aspartame that was aggrevating it.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 09:53

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi MTEcho:
First let me start by saying that I don't think my private messages are getting to you - I get some queer box that says *READER RECIPIENT's REQUEST?* or something odd like that and then it appears to send something to you. I know I am probably not supposed to give our my email address in this public forum but I don't know what else to do

As to the antibiotics (I know it appears a little late). If you took the Probiotics WHILE you were taking the antibiotics, you likely were replacing the *friendly* bacteria in your gut. If however, you started the probiotics afterward you need a two step process. You will need to kill off the newly constructed yeast with something like caprylic acid, grape fruit seed extract, etc and then later in the day, take the probiotics.
Why? Imagine there are only 100 seats in your gut and 80 of them were occupied by *friendly* bacteria and 20 of them were the yeast. The antibiotic comes in and wipes a BUNCH of the bacteria out (but doesn't touch yeast) and very quickly there are say 60 empty bacteria seats for the yeast to occupy, so they get busy multiplying in short order and take up the new spots. Now you have 80 yeast seats and only 20 bacteria seats (not good). Now you have to actively KILL the yeast off, so you can send the probiotics (friendly bacteria) down the gullet and fill those seats back up. That is also why you have to avoid sugars and *fermented* yeasty foods because they will help the yeast hold their seats (feels like a lesson in *gut congress*).
It actually can get uglier from here - the yeast can *morph* into a more complex form of fungus and make these *vein like* strands that puncture your intestine walls and make the yeast go SYSTEMIC into your blood stream and also cause undigested food to enter the blood stream and develop into food intolerances and/or food allergies. Fun huh? It's true and it happens.
I'm not sure when mine all started but when I was 6 I had pneumonia and the docs were losing the battle on my seondary infections. They gave me broadspectrum antibiotics for many, many weeks. I survived but I do recall after that episode my siblings always commenting on how I used to be *nicer* before the pneumonia and I had a STRONG desire for breads after that (I would sneak it at bedtime). I'm sure I already had an existing milk allergy and my mother believe strongly in milk as a drink in our house (had it everyday of my young life).
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 13:45

BF:
Default Thanks!

Thank you Jeanne,

That really helps alot. I didn't start at the same time, so I better get busy and fix it.

By the way, I got your PM this AM with your address. Thanks

Echo