Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 16:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/143/125
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Thanks Josee!

I appreciate you responding to me cry for help! I will request and RE who specializes with PCOS, never thought about that! I definitely want a second opinion. I do trust him, but realize that he can't possibly know everything!
Thanks for the input!

Chele
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 04:48

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 184/181/150
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default You're welcome

You are very welcome.

I was very lost when I found out I had PCOS. The Doctor I had at the time was an idiot who couldn't see the forest for the trees. But I fought and kept going. When I found my PCOS specialized RE she was a God Send. Right away she said what I thought to be true and it's all been better from there.

Now I only ask for doctors who are familiar and especially knowledgeable in PCOS.

Do not get discouraged. This isn't something you can have one day and not the next. Don't let them fool you.

Good Luck,
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 07:10

Plan: CAD
Stats: 272/267/150
BF:
Progress:

Shoog:

I'm very happy for you that you are having such success with taking Met. I do have a question for you. Something you said has been troubleing me so much. You stated that your periods are regular now but your not sure if your ovulating. This statement totally confused me. I thought if you had period, you were ovulating?!! Please help me to understand this. What am I missing? I am also taking Glucaphage and was under the impression that this medicine would help me to regulate my periods which gave me hope that I could get pregnant. From what your saying, you can basically have a period without ovulating? Any information or if anyone elso reading this can explain this to me, I would be so greatful!

Tara
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 17:22

BF:
Red face I didn't understand it either till...

I had the same question about 3 weeks ago for my doctor. I told her that as far as I was explained, periods happen because you ovulated. But yet another bunch of people who have led us into falshood!!!

She explained it to me in a way that makes sense:

Your ovaries send a signal to your uterus that it's producing a follicle (egg), and the uterus responds by thickening and getting ready in case the egg gets empregnated. Only the egg is never released (hence the poly-cystic name) and the uterus releases all that extra thickening and the such. Producing a period without an ovulation. Just like it would if the egg got released but never got empregnated.

In other words, our ovaries are tricking our Uterus into thinking that everything is happening as usual.

I hope this explained it to you. I was pretty confused till she explained this to me.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 07:55

BF:
Progress:

Josee:

Wow!!! I thought I had a good understanding on all of this PCOS stuff. Thanks for explaining the ovualation/period concept to me. I never thought about it like that before. It does make sense. I'm not happy about it because I was thinking every once in a while when I had a cycle, that I was ovulating. I have to admit that I'm even more discouraged about conceiving now. Do you have any knowledge on fertility drugs? Do they make you ovulate? I'm on glucaphage for 3 months to help me lose a little weight and to see if it will regulate my insulin levels which in tune is supposed to help my ovaries do their job!! I was just curious because my doctor said for me to be on the gluc for 3 months then we will add fertility drugs. Any info you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks for the info!

Tara
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 04:49

BF:
Default Met & Fertility

Hi Tara,

Don't ever lose hope. I know that just like me you're probably thinking "great another one tells me not to lose hope when I'm stuck in this situation" but so many people's lives are full of happiness even though we have PCOS. It's a matter of being determined and not giving up. Finding what's right for YOU.

This said:

I'm almost at the same point as you for fert. drugs with met. I've been on Met since November 1999, and on December 31st 1999 I got my first period on my own in months. It happened more regularly afterwards. Not at a 28 day cycle but still almost every month.

The weight loss was there but not hundreds of pounds. I helped myself out by going on lowcarb, which also helps the insulin. The better the insulin, the better weight loss and proper functioning of our ovaries and Ovulation. The BEST way to know if you're ovulating is to take your temperature every morning OR getting a predictor kit.

When I first found out about PCOS I read everything I could get my hands on. And I distinctly remember it saying over and over that ppl who were on fertility drugs alone often didn't get pregnant. HOWEVER if they combined it WITH glucophage (Met) it worked. I'm again thinking this is related to the proper usage of insulin when on Met.

So maybe the combination of 3 things would really help out:

Met
Low Carb diet
Fertility drugs

I'm hoping to find out very soon. I have to do some tests that my doctor requires to see if my ovaries are blocked (which I doubt they are) and then start the fertility drugs. Can't wait.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 08:36

BF:
Progress:

Josee:

Thanks for the support! I wish us both good luck...

Keep me updated... PLEASE!

Tara
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 12:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/260/140
BF:
Progress:
Default PCOS

I'm still taking BC pills 10 years after being diagnosed, to control my periods, but I'm hoping to lose some weight so I can go off the pills. I know if I could get down to a reasonable weight, the BC pills wouldn't be absolutely necessary. I know there is still that chance of getting cysts, but I at least want to give my body a break from the pill for a while.

I also know the PCOS makes it extremely difficult to lose the weight, and I am hoping this WOE will work for me. I'm sure going to try!
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 10:28

BF:
Default Little Update

Hi all,

Little update on me. I'm back on the waggon and I'm losing slowly but surely. In general I'm losing 2 lbs a week. Except for one week where I couldn't stick to my diet and didn't know I would start my periods at the end of that week (which explained my failure to stick to my diet AND the weight gain).

I have now lost 10 lbs!!! I know it's not much but hey, I'm on my way!!!

Also it's my second month with getting periods. Only last time and this time, I get it, it's normal the first week and like it will end and only last a week, but on the last day, POOF... it starts up again and gets more and more and more... then it tapers off in the 3rd week and finishes (FINALLY) I don't know what's up with that!!! Last time I thought it was due to stress due to events that happened at the same time, but this time I'm not stressed!!! So I can't explain it at all. I'm not complaining because I'd rather have it than not for months. But 3 weeks.... Oh well!

So how are things with you guys? I'm going to be single for a while now. Hubby found a job and they're situated in Kitchener. He will be gone till May 15th, then will be working from home. I can't wait for him to come back. I miss him so. But hey, it's easier to stick to my diet when he's not here, and I thought I'd really try to lose alot and surprise him with the new me when he comes home for good!!!
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 18:34
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Finally something that helped my daughter

After one week of this WOE my daughter, who hasn't had a period in a year, started her period today! I have been researching PCOS for about 6 months now and think finally we may have found something that, at least, helps her.

She started out at 12 with perfectly normal periods...then at 14....POOF...sudden weight gain, stretch marks, and no periods. I took her to the doctor and he put her on the magic "PILL". She had periods but felt awful...gained more weight etc. After a year of the "Pill" we decided it was not right for her and took her off. After she went off the pill, she had one period and then they were gone again.
It has been a year since she had any period at all. She started Atkins about a week ago and lost 4 pounds so far and today started her period! We are so happy that something seems to be helping.

I just thought this might be some encouragement to some that are struggling with this problem. I don't know what will happen from here, but we are greatly encouraged!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 06:15

BF:
Default Your Daughter

WOW! That's great! Keep on going. If she loses enough, then she might get them back completely.

Have you tried asking your doctor for Metformin? It truly is a miracle pill. I'm on it and I absolutely swear by it. It has brought back my periods, and helps me lose weight more easily.

I wish you and your daughter lots of luck!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 09:42
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Met is next if the diet doesn't do it

Thanks for the "Met" suggestion. That is next if she is not back to normal in a few months time. I have her on chromium...she has been for about 4 months now. I am thinking that is why the diet has helped so much so quickly.

Our doctors around here are clueless when it comes to PCOS. I am not even positive that that is her problem, but it is adding up. I do know that there is some sort of metabolic problem if she doesn't have periods. She had them normally for a couple of years and then just stopped and started the weight gain. I really hope that we can do it without medication, but it is good to know that that is an option if this doesn't completely do the job.

This girl lived on potatoes, meat and bread. Her dad had hypoglycemia....they never even checked her for this. I had her to several and all they would say is "the pill". I started researching myself and came up with PCOS. In fact, she read about PCOS in a book on reproduction and I read it and a light bulb went off. That is when I started researching this disorder and found this diet and all you wonderful supportive women
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 12:06

BF:
Default Hi.

Missing periods, weight gain... sure sounds like the beginning of it. I didn't used to have other symptoms but as the years went by and no doctor found what was wrong with me, the symptoms got worse.

Low carbing for me is great. I'm doing my own version of it and I keep losing. I did not want to get rid of carbs alltogether. So I have some in moderation. I try to keep it very low during the day and let myself indulge a bit at dinner time. So far it's working. (Thank God I love eggs though!)

I hope your daughter finds her own way with dealing with this. Weight loss is so hard to do, but is so gratifying when you achieve it. Somehow we have to find a happy medium.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 19:54
Registered Member

BF:
Default how true

That is so true. To strike a balance between keeping yourself healthy and still enjoying life is important. She kinda cheated today and had a slice of pizza at "Teen Outreach", a club she is in, at school. They meet after school and she was starving! She was beating herself up over it and I just laughed and told her to take an extra lap down the road and take care of what she eats tomorrow. She is doing so well so far.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 21:25
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/183/163
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default pcos

I'm so glad you are all getting help with your pcos. I was diagnosed with pcos in '89. The obgyn who diagnosed it, treated it like a ho-hum problem and so I never thought anymore about it.I have endured almost all of the symptoms from weight gain to hair loss to skin discolorations and to chronic medical problems.Only within the last two years have the symptoms come together as being part of the same affliction. Only now are the symptoms being seen as life-threatening. My present doctor is working with me for a viable lifestyle in which I can possibly gain some relief. And I understand the tears and frustration you've had when the former doctors rap you over the head with "willpower" comments. How many times have you wondered what was wrong with you, because you couldn't lose weight on a 1200 calorie diet? Thank God Low-carbing came into the picture! In just one week, (no Met yet...) I've lost an incredible 6 pounds and have gone off the Paxil. I can sleep through the night and wake up almost refreshed--I'll give that some more time too! Now I want to learn Yoga! Hope you all have continued success, I have enjoyed your stories very much! I am uplifted and inspired!