Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 11:26

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I wish I could remember where I read about the avocado being perfect for this purpose. Argh!
According to the USDA database a "California" avocado has 82% fat so it should be a good "fat fast" option
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 12:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Tj's had some ripe ones today. Phew!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 14:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Most of the non-fat "calories" are fiber, at that. Toss them out and it's more like 90 percent fat.

The magnesium and potassium don't hurt.

Awesome news about the fridge, ripe on Wednesday, rotten Friday always sucks.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 15:19

BF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeHMRbMqmNk

I think I met this fellow a few years ago, my friends had him as a guest one weekend. How many professional bodybuilder/competitive eaters named Pete could there be in Mississauga? This is a video of him eating 20 large avocados, 8000 calories.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 15:43
Experimenter

BF:

LOL! Wow... that's a few calories! I've had one avo so far and it is almost 3pm. Pretty good for coming down off a carb filled day. But stomach is starting to make demands now.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 04:36

Plan: fat fast
Stats: 143/137/109 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 18%

I've read this thread yesterday so I registered. I started avocado fast yesterday. I had been thinking of starting a green vegetable fast but they are so low in calories. I wouldn't be able to eat enough. It is totally a coincidence that I realized the best green veg in calories and carbs is avocado. It wasn't a part of my diet as a kid so I knew nothing about it. I didn't know it is the perfect veg in fat and carbs, and I think also in proteins.

I've tried Bulletproof Rapid Fat Loss Protocol before, and it was the only diet that worked for the last 5 years for me. But, I don't like butter so I couldn't go on. For me, it was kind of luck to discover avocado. I've already lost 3 pounds in one day. 33 to go. I'm planning to add rice with coconut oil and a glass of red wine in a week. And this as a whole sure can be my lifestyle.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 05:27

BF:

Why add rice and fat to this diet, once the fat fast part is complete? Why not protein? Outside of a fat fast, avocado is marginal in protein, rice is marginal in protein. Add fat and alcohol, and you get something below marginal... The point of a fat fast is to keep insulin as low as possible, without actually doing a complete water fast. Add rice and you lose that, and you lose the improvement in lean mass retention that you'd get if the added calories came as protein rather than carbohydrate.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 05:55

BF:

I can switch it with green lentils. But when I don't get any carbs after a week or so, I stop losing weight. It was the case during the rapid fat loss. I found it out when I gave up on the protocol and ate some rice. In two days I started losing again. Then I read somewhere women can use a small amount of carbs to overcome a plateau. Unfortunately it was years ago and I may not be able to find the source of information. However it worked with my body.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 09:05

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Why add rice and fat to this diet, once the fat fast part is complete? Why not protein? Outside of a fat fast, avocado is marginal in protein, rice is marginal in protein. Add fat and alcohol, and you get something below marginal... The point of a fat fast is to keep insulin as low as possible, without actually doing a complete water fast. Add rice and you lose that, and you lose the improvement in lean mass retention that you'd get if the added calories came as protein rather than carbohydrate.

I am rusty on all this stuff, but is the fat fast supposed to have lasting effects beyond the fast? If it's temporary, why do it? I can't remember the reasoning behind it. Is it just to reset after carb creep?
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 09:31

BF:

The original recommendation by Dr. Atkins was to break through a stall/allow weight loss for people who were so metabolically resistant that they didn't lose weight on induction.

I've found it useful if I've strayed a bit. Not usually stuff that high in carbs, but if I eat peanuts/nuts or cheese, sometimes I'll have an out of control appetite and start craving other stuff. So I'll go very heavy on cream, coconut etc., to really push the ketosis. Not necessarily that low in calorie. Anyways, next day my appetite's normal. Seems to help if I want to do more restricted fast, as well. So I sort of use it as a reset, but with more calories.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 12:05
Experimenter

BF:

This is to help me get my appetite manageable again and get some of the benefits of fasting without the awful hunger and weakness.

So far my appetite has really shrunk! I went almost to 11am without eating! Also peed a bunch yesterday, so getting rid of a lot of carb-water. I did add macadamia nuts to the fast because they're so easy to grab when you don't want to peel another avo.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 19:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

If you are going to eat carbs, why make them rice? Why not greens, or even root veggies. Rice is a grain, and there is so much data about how grains are actively bad for your health.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 20:59
Experimenter

BF:

Is someone eating rice in this thread?
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-15, 02:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Is someone eating rice in this thread?

Not now, but I will. While wheat literally hurts my body, rice doesn't. Also it helps with the diet, and it's cheap and easy to make. Of course I will eat greens, but I won't be able to eat enough. I can switch rice with something higher in protein. But, I don't see the big deal.

I went no carbs for two years, it helped a lot, primarily with pcos, but also bec. of the cheap bad fat in the things I bought, I started to feel tired and gained bad fat (and a lot of it, like 30lbs). Other people I know were ok on the other hand. It just doesn't suit me that way.

Then after a while I tried Dukan, I lost a lot of weight but I got sick.

Then months later, I tried butter fast, it helped with my health and weight but at some point I got stuck and disgusted with butter. I started to eat fish, meat and vegetables. But until I ate some rice I didn't get well. So I know a fat oriented diet is better for me than all the others. But also vegetable fats are the only decent ones for my body in my country. And a small amount of rice helps and is ok for my body.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-15, 07:14

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
The original recommendation by Dr. Atkins was to break through a stall/allow weight loss for people who were so metabolically resistant that they didn't lose weight on induction.

I've found it useful if I've strayed a bit. Not usually stuff that high in carbs, but if I eat peanuts/nuts or cheese, sometimes I'll have an out of control appetite and start craving other stuff. So I'll go very heavy on cream, coconut etc., to really push the ketosis. Not necessarily that low in calorie. Anyways, next day my appetite's normal. Seems to help if I want to do more restricted fast, as well. So I sort of use it as a reset, but with more calories.

Thanks, I still haven't found my Atkins '72 book. That's a great explanation.