Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 08:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think that's essentially what Dr. Eades last post was too.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 08:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Another way to state it-- Just as your gonad hormones can drive you to perform various behaviors to search out and find a mate, your pancreas hormones can drive you to search out food and not waste a lot of energy in the process.

Interesting that giving in to either type of hormone qualifies you as having committed one of the seven deadly sins.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 08:54

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC FP

Interesting that giving in to either type of hormone qualifies you as having committed one of the seven deadly sins.

Sort of "The Hormone-Driven Life".
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 08:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muata
I guess I'll chime in since I finished reading my copy yesterday. The weakest aspect of the book IMO is his reasoning why exercise doesn't cause you to lose weight and makes you hungry. He discusses this in chapter 14; however, it's not a convincing argument in light of his argument that hunger is regulated by hormonal and enzymatic controls. Since exercise is one way to lower insulin levels, besides diet, why would one be hungry when their blood is full of free fatty acids and ketones? Again, I'm assuming that the person is following a low-carb diet that he is talking about. If he is discussing that this hunger after exercise is seen in folks following the low-fat diet, then that's a different story and that should be clearly noted. Or maybe it was and I missed it.

The strongest point, besides the history and bibliography, is Taubes's twist on the laws of thermodynamics. Now, I'm definitely part of the energy balance equation school of thought, but I found his interpretation of the this equation very interesting and wanted to know what you guys thought:

from page 293
Change in energy stores = Energy intake - Energy expenditure
The first law of thermodynamics dictates that weight gain--the increase in energy stored as fat and lean-tissue mass--will be accompanied by or associated with positive energy balance, but it does not say that it is caused by a positive energy balance--by "a plethora of calories," as Russell Cecil and Robert Loeb's 1951 Textbook of Medicine put it. There is no arrow of causality in the equation. It is equally possible, without violating this fundamental truth, for a change in the energy stores, the left side of the above equation, to be the driving force in cause and effect; some regulatory phenomenon could drive us to gain weight, which would in turn cause a positive energy balance--and thus overeating and/or sedentary behavior. Either waY, the calories in will equal the calories out, as they must, but what is cause in one case is effect in the other.
All those who have insisted (and still do) that overeating and/or sedentary behavior must be the cause of obesity have done so on the basis of this same fundamental error: they will observe correctly that positive caloric balance must be associated with weight gain, but then they will assume without justification that positive caloric balance is the cause of weight gain. This simple misconception has led to a century of misguided obesity research.
When the law of energy conservation is interpreted correctly, either of two possibilities is allowed. It may be true that overeating and/or physical inactivity (positive caloric balance) can cause overweight and obesity, but the evidence and the observations, as we've discussed, argue otherwise. The alternative hypothesis reserves the causality: we are driven to get fat by "primary metabolic or enzymatic defects," as Hilde Bruch phrased it, and this fattening process induces the compensatory responses of overeating and/or physical inactivity. We eat more, move less, and have less energy to expend because we are metabolically or hormonally driven to get fat.

Muata

I like connecting these observations to the caveman. Taubes points to (short term) studies that show no weight loss from exercise. He says there's immediate hormonal effects of the exercise but the body counters it through the law of energy conservation. So insulin is suppressed through exercise but noone is exercising 24/7. It isn't stated, but is it possible that there's a rebound hyperinsulinemia sometime after the workout, possibly the next day?

He states, "We eat more, move less, and have less energy to expend because we are metabolically or hormonally driven to get fat.". I don't believe that. We aren't driven to get fat. We're driven to retain calories to prepare for famine. The caveman had an abundance of food in summer and dearth in winter. In evolutionary terms it is only recently that man was able to preserve food and store it for winter. For the majority of man's existence he survived like every other species, eating whatever he could whenever he could find it. I think obesity's cause is twofold: too many calories and too little exercise. Maybe 'metabolic advantage' exists and maybe not. There are studies that support both opinions. There are too many other benefits that exercise gives for me to quit exercising.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 09:00

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muata
Now, I'm definitely part of the energy balance equation school of thought, but I found his interpretation of the this equation very interesting and wanted to know what you guys thought:

from page 293
Change in energy stores = Energy intake - Energy expenditure
The first law of thermodynamics dictates that weight gain--the increase in energy stored as fat and lean-tissue mass--will be accompanied by or associated with positive energy balance, but it does not say that it is caused by a positive energy balance--by "a plethora of calories," as Russell Cecil and Robert Loeb's 1951 Textbook of Medicine put it. There is no arrow of causality in the equation. It is equally possible, without violating this fundamental truth, for a change in the energy stores, the left side of the above equation, to be the driving force in cause and effect; some regulatory phenomenon could drive us to gain weight, which would in turn cause a positive energy balance--and thus overeating and/or sedentary behavior. Either waY, the calories in will equal the calories out, as they must, but what is cause in one case is effect in the other.
All those who have insisted (and still do) that overeating and/or sedentary behavior must be the cause of obesity have done so on the basis of this same fundamental error: they will observe correctly that positive caloric balance must be associated with weight gain, but then they will assume without justification that positive caloric balance is the cause of weight gain. This simple misconception has led to a century of misguided obesity research.
When the law of energy conservation is interpreted correctly, either of two possibilities is allowed. It may be true that overeating and/or physical inactivity (positive caloric balance) can cause overweight and obesity, but the evidence and the observations, as we've discussed, argue otherwise. The alternative hypothesis reserves the causality: we are driven to get fat by "primary metabolic or enzymatic defects," as Hilde Bruch phrased it, and this fattening process induces the compensatory responses of overeating and/or physical inactivity. We eat more, move less, and have less energy to expend because we are metabolically or hormonally driven to get fat.

Muata
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
When I read that part of the book....my first reaction was "aha!" someone finally has stated it in terms that make sense from the perspective of the laws of thermodynamics....he's right, the laws go both ways, and it makes sense why weight gain happens when you take the laws from the opposite side of the equation!
OR to say it another way. . .

The equation
Energy intake - Energy expenditure = Change in energy stores
does NOT say JUST that
IF Energy intake - Energy expenditure THEN there is an EQUAL Change in energy stores
Which would imply a causal relationship.
RATHER, it says ONLY that Change in energy stores MUST be EQUAL to Energy intake - Energy expenditure.

After looking at what I had written I think I should try a second time.

Changing the equation to read
Energy intake - Energy expenditure = Change in energy stores
so it looks like the following. You can now say that the equation does NOT JUST say that IF Energy intake - Energy expenditure is non zero THEN the Change in energy stores is the same amount, positive or negative. Which would imply a causal relationship.
An “IF, THEN” logic operation.

To use an different example, sort of a converse one to demonstrate the “IF, THEN” logic operation versus the equal operation, you cannot say
Cows = Grass Eaters.
That would mean that a Grass Eater would be a Cow - not so! Lots of other animals eat grass. The statement: IF a Cow THEN a Grass Eater, is correct, as it turns out. BUT the inverse: IF a Grass Eater THEN a Cow, is not.

People forget, or do not know, that using equal between to operands (formulii) allows BOTH “IF,THEN” versions, i.e. f{a,b,c,d} = f{w,x,y,z} allows saying IF f{w,x,y,z], THEN f{a,b,c,d] BUT the inverse IF f{a,b,c,d}, THEN f{w,x,y,z} is also allowed and true. However, the truth of an “IF, THEN” statement does NOT imply the truth of the inverse.

Last edited by LarryAJ : Sat, Sep-29-07 at 10:12.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 09:34
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh
I think obesity's cause is twofold: too many calories and too little exercise. Maybe 'metabolic advantage' exists and maybe not. There are studies that support both opinions. There are too many other benefits that exercise gives for me to quit exercising.
I think what Gary would have said on "Nightline" if they had let him is the fact most people are just not going to put in 90 minutes of vigorous exercise a day to lose or 30 to maintain as is recommended. Its just not practical nowadays. Even Lance Armstrong said he had to go to bed "a little hungry" to control his weight for racing and these guys can burn 4 to 6K calories per day tour racing.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 10:02
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!

Quote:
He states, "We eat more, move less, and have less energy to expend because we are metabolically or hormonally driven to get fat.". I don't believe that.

I'll interject here that it makes sense metabolically - if insulin is suppressing release of fatty acids for energy, the body believes it is at an energy deficit because energy is being pushed into fat cells but then not released back out for use because the insulin is blocking it and after effects of glucose phosphate still remaining even as insulin starts to decline....I think the he's definitely talking about the context of our standard american diet, not a low-carb diet.....the hunger triggered by lowering insulin makes people eat more....they eat and set the cycle up again - insulin inhibiting fatty acid release, energy gets pushed into fat cells and stays there - the body senses again it doesn't have enough energy, lowers things to conserve energy including you move less, triggers hunger in an attempt to get you to eat something.....around and around in the cycle you go - getting fatter, needing more energy to maintain weight but metabolism sensing an energy deficit, all the while you're packing in plenty of calories, but they're shuttled away and can't be used.....does that make sense?
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 10:23

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Yes, it does, Regina.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 11:37

Plan: Ketogenic/Paleolithic
Stats: 310/179/175 Male 71
BF:44%/6%/5%
Progress: 97%

Larry: please explain that again to a math and logic idiot like myself so that I can understand it better because I really want to fully understand this association versus causation stuff as it relates to the energy balance equation. Thanks!

Kaypeeoh: Taubes addresses the theory you're talking about which is called the "thrifty-gene" hypothesis in chapter 14, and it was initially put forth by a Dr. James Neel in 1962, but he eventually rejected his own hypothesis in the late 1970s because he didn't have the evidence to support it; nevertheless, other researchers later picked up on the hypothesis and accepted its premise as fact. His discussion of this hypothesis starts on pg. 242. He makes an interesting argument. Also, the problem with the "metabolic advantage" argument is that it has not been proven under controlled metabolic ward conditions, which, ironically, is an approach that Taubes mentions when he, like Uffe, Colpo, and Kendricks, destroys the notion that high cholesterol and saturated fat leads to chronic diseases.

ReginaW: Your post makes perfectly good sense my friend! I don't have a problem saying that obesity is caused by metabolic and hormonal disruptions, usually due to diet, that, in turn, allows for the energy balance equation to still hold true. However, there is one area of obesity or weight management research that still needs more attention and that's metabolic adaptations that the body goes through in which it uses calories different the leaner one becomes. While I agree that one should count calories and slowly reduce them, and increase their physical activity, the TDEE formulas that we use, even the more recent ones like Mifflin and Katch-McArdle, are not exact and the leaner one becomes they become gross estimates. I've only read Dr. Ellis and now Taubes discuss these adaptations. Do you guys know about any other authors who discuss this too?

Thanks . . .

Last edited by Muata : Sat, Sep-29-07 at 11:53.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 16:08

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

I don't think this link has been put up yet:

Taubes with Sugar Shock author Connie Bennett - http://www.blogtalkradio.com/stopsugarshock
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 16:35

Plan: Atkins Modified?
Stats: 148/134/135 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
Sadly, I tend to agree. When people have deeply held beliefs, no amount of evidence will change their minds. The only ones who will believe it will be people who have experienced it, like most of us have. I hope I am wrong, but that is how I see it.

Yes... However most of us would not have experienced it without someone (Dr. Atkins) or whomever publishing these findings and books... There are more and more of these books that are coming out or already out; "The Great Cholesterol Con", "The Great Cholesterol Myth", etc... All of which are dealing with the issue of dietary fats and cholesterol... As far as carbs, I have been living the LC life for over eight years and I have to say, back then, nobody seemed to even know what a carb was. Things are changing... They just take time... And books like these are part of the reason behind the changes.
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 17:41

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 258/223/??? Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
I'll interject here that it makes sense metabolically - if insulin is suppressing release of fatty acids for energy, the body believes it is at an energy deficit because energy is being pushed into fat cells but then not released back out for use because the insulin is blocking it and after effects of glucose phosphate still remaining even as insulin starts to decline....I think the he's definitely talking about the context of our standard american diet, not a low-carb diet.....the hunger triggered by lowering insulin makes people eat more....they eat and set the cycle up again - insulin inhibiting fatty acid release, energy gets pushed into fat cells and stays there - the body senses again it doesn't have enough energy, lowers things to conserve energy including you move less, triggers hunger in an attempt to get you to eat something.....around and around in the cycle you go - getting fatter, needing more energy to maintain weight but metabolism sensing an energy deficit, all the while you're packing in plenty of calories, but they're shuttled away and can't be used.....does that make sense?

I think it was Lustig I heard in an interview who said that carbs put our bodies into a continual state of starvation. (ETA: Well, excess insulin, more accurately, is what he said.)

I am envious - I just got the book late yesterday and I am not a fast reader - I'm only on page 58! I'm in a coffee shop while my daughter volunteers nearby, reading away, but I took a break to see what you all were saying about it! I am VERY impressed so far - he's building his case very carefully. But there are a couple of things so far I'm prepared to disagree with him about, depending on how this develops.

Last edited by tortoise : Sat, Sep-29-07 at 17:52.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 17:47
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
um... ok serious question for those who've read the book... how is this any different from what dr. atkins published?

This is exactly what I was going to say!!! It's the exact same conclusions (except for the exercise making you hungry) that Dr A came to in my 1992 DANDR!
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 17:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 258/223/??? Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

He agrees with Atkins, but it really isn't a diet book, it's a science book, and he goes into a LOT more detail about more aspects of the whole picture.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 18:33

Plan: Atkins Modified?
Stats: 148/134/135 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
This is exactly what I was going to say!!! It's the exact same conclusions (except for the exercise making you hungry) that Dr A came to in my 1992 DANDR!

Yes... It is restating the same facts... The good that will come of it is that the more books there are stating these facts, the more people will be exposed to them and more awareness will be gained. A different group of people may indeed read this book rather than Atkins simply because a lot of people view Dr. Atkins book as just a diet book. The more people become aware, the more the knowledge spreads, the better for everyone.