Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-20, 10:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Type " :*tears: " or " * :*cry: " without the * .

I feel your pain, BTW. I'm sad to think of what I got away with when I started LCing and had a lot of success, but that was also before I had joint pain, gut issues and peri-menopausal hormones/body shape change/slowdown in metabolism. I'm teetering on the edge of the "overweight" BMI* category and I'm trying to stick to time-restricted eating and/or an approach closer to what Dr Ted Naiman recommends, basically prioritizing lean protein for satiety. It was an eye-opener for me to log my food and realize how little protein I was getting, and also realizing that when I emphasize that protein, I just don't have room for much else (fattier foods, etc.)

Goodbye LC beer and frequent cheats with little or no consequences.

*Not that I care about BMI, but my doctor seems to, and I'd prefer not to give her a reason to discuss it.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Oct-11-20 at 10:21.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 10:38

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bigtxgal
Now in my late 40s andso frustrated. I feel like the # of foods I can eat while losing weight is dwindling.

Being in your late 40's is when perimenopause starts... night sweats, hot flashes, irregular periods. Believe me you are on the right diet. I was trying to be vegetarian in my 40's and not getting enough protein. I ended up putting on 50 lbs total. I was a chub. Now I'm very close to my goal weight and its all because of low carb. It's the only diet that works for me and I have to live like this forever. Can't go off it. But who would wan to? It's so nice to be able to have a pan fried steak with the pan fat poured all over it.. (mushrooms too) and nice vegetable sides. So much better than low fat cardboard crap right?
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 10:43

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
It was an eye-opener for me to log my food and realize how little protein I was getting, .

Hi Kristine. Yea, the one thing I noticed about keto was you can go too low protein. I had watched a video on youtube about a young adult female who's hair was thinning on keto and she noticed her protein was not very high so she increase her protein and her hair grew back. I noticed that my hair was thinning so I adjusted my protein and I try to keep track of it on the Atkins site. My hair is a lot thicker now. I try not to go under 100 grams per day.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-20, 06:50

Plan: Low Carb + JUDD
Stats: 205/204/150 Female 5 foot 7
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
Being in your late 40's is when perimenopause starts... night sweats, hot flashes, irregular periods. Believe me you are on the right diet. I was trying to be vegetarian in my 40's and not getting enough protein. I ended up putting on 50 lbs total. I was a chub. Now I'm very close to my goal weight and its all because of low carb. It's the only diet that works for me and I have to live like this forever. Can't go off it. But who would wan to? It's so nice to be able to have a pan fried steak with the pan fat poured all over it.. (mushrooms too) and nice vegetable sides. So much better than low fat cardboard crap right?

I agree that low carb is better - I've eaten some version of low-carb for almost 20 years. Difference being sometimes I slack off and make full-carb biscuits once a month, or eat a cheeseburger+fries at a fast food place once a month, or go to a chinese buffet once a month. Other than that, my only carbs come from veggies, seeds, nuts, cheese and cream. With the occasional handful of peanuts. But even THAT is too much, and I gain weight.
I'm dying without coffee+ cream, and cheese, and a few almonds now and then... and about deciding that I'll just enjoy my low-carb lifestyle and give up on losing weight. I know the skinny chicks say 'nothing tastes as good as being thin feels' but obviously they've never eaten my cooking. HAHA.
I feel like I've given up so much already, it feels unfair that I have to give up cream and cheese and nuts TOO! I used to just sit and nosh on straight meat all day, and was fine with it, but now I guess I'm too stubborn or something. LOL.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-20, 06:52

Plan: Low Carb + JUDD
Stats: 205/204/150 Female 5 foot 7
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Type " :*tears: " or " * :*cry: " without the * .

I feel your pain, BTW. I'm sad to think of what I got away with when I started LCing and had a lot of success, but that was also before I had joint pain, gut issues and peri-menopausal hormones/body shape change/slowdown in metabolism. I'm teetering on the edge of the "overweight" BMI* category and I'm trying to stick to time-restricted eating and/or an approach closer to what Dr Ted Naiman recommends, basically prioritizing lean protein for satiety. It was an eye-opener for me to log my food and realize how little protein I was getting, and also realizing that when I emphasize that protein, I just don't have room for much else (fattier foods, etc.)

Goodbye LC beer and frequent cheats with little or no consequences.

*Not that I care about BMI, but my doctor seems to, and I'd prefer not to give her a reason to discuss it.

Hey, it worked! Thank you!!!!
My dr doesn't SAY anything about my BMI but puts it in her notes. Hmph.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-20, 14:18
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

This site feels really empty now. Seems like all the regular posters have left the building. This site is amazing. It helped me know how to eat, how to get my mind right and got me to my goal and beyond. I am back because I need to get back on track.

With all the fears, stress and restrictions of COVID, I have gained weight and I need get back to what works.

One day at a time....

This WOL works if you stick to it. It worked for me for a long long time but then I let myself slip and now I can't get back up and start. It's easy get confident when you are doing what you are supposed to but once you fall off the slope it's so hard to get back up.

I hope my one day starts soon. Today has been a good day but I feel myself wanting to go eat something I know I will regret. If I can just get through today.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-21, 10:59

Plan: ZC Carnivore 100%
Stats: 170/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Hey, Nordic and welcome. Many are following Atkins 72 on this forum, but they may refer to it as something else. I made a personal decision years ago that I would remain in induction permanently, as it helped quite a bit with improved health, lower weight, and more energy. "Why increase the carbs?" I reasoned. So, I've been maintaining as what I once referred to as a VLCHFKD (Very Low Carb, Higher Fat, Ketogenic Diet) state. I now refer to it as keto or VLC. I've increased my protein, tempered my fat consumption, and still maintain my health and weight using this approach.

So, when I say very low carb, I'm staying around or less than 20-25 carbs per day depending on the day. I think Atkins induction makes sense for those of us who have experienced carb addition in the past, yes, it's a real thing. I just made it my permanent WOE (way of eating). You'll find many on this forum who have a very similar WOE with interesting variations. We tend to find what works best, and it's an individual thing in many cases. Enjoy the group, as there is lots of good information shared here.

I'm on my way back to Atkins 72, having tried everything else since coming to the ALCF 2015,. I had my best weight loss with the induction level in months losing all excess weight ... back in the early 1970s when the book first came out & I was at university & in my 20s. I began there again 2015 but being an over-educated fool, experimented my way to failure. May be a week or two before I am here again, since I have a fridge full of unAtkins. I have a journal here, Desert Mo 2. Keep the faith . . .
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-21, 13:16

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Hi Desert Mo! Welcome back to Atkins 72! I believe it is the plan that works the best. I tend to stick to Level 1 - which is essentially the ketogenic or LCHF lifestyle. It works for me. I will likely not change that until I lose the weight I need to and want to maintain.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-21, 00:37

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1cutie
This site feels really empty now. Seems like all the regular posters have left the building. This site is amazing. It helped me know how to eat, how to get my mind right and got me to my goal and beyond. I am back because I need to get back on track.

With all the fears, stress and restrictions of COVID, I have gained weight and I need get back to what works.

One day at a time....

This WOL works if you stick to it. It worked for me for a long long time but then I let myself slip and now I can't get back up and start. It's easy get confident when you are doing what you are supposed to but once you fall off the slope it's so hard to get back up.

I hope my one day starts soon. Today has been a good day but I feel myself wanting to go eat something I know I will regret. If I can just get through today.

I'm in the same boat as you. The last year I took a hit and up went the weight. So I've come back to Atkins 72 Induction, which is my comfort zone for losing weight, it has always worked best for me and more important, I feel my best eating this way. It's home base for controlling my weight when it gets out of control. I've tried different things over the years, but I've always felt A72 was the absolute best.

I've been missing around here for quite a time....I'd pop in here and there as I tried to re-commit to strict Atkins eating, then I'd mess up and off I went again. This has been my pattern for the last 1-2 years, actually, but this time I'm back with a plan to reach my goal by August 1.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-21, 06:55

Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

I’m glad to see this thread coming back. I follow Atkins ‘72. I am also one that just stays in the 20-25 gr carb limit or I don’t lose. I eat too much cheese, that is my dairy downfall.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-21, 18:17

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCer4Life
I’m glad to see this thread coming back. I follow Atkins ‘72. I am also one that just stays in the 20-25 gr carb limit or I don’t lose. I eat too much cheese, that is my dairy downfall.

Interesting how inactive the Atkins threads have been. Atkins '72 is so simple and easy to follow, none of the complications that later Atkins and other plans may have. And best of all...it WORKS so effortlessly.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-21, 22:31

Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
Interesting how inactive the Atkins threads have been. Atkins '72 is so simple and easy to follow, none of the complications that later Atkins and other plans may have. And best of all...it WORKS so effortlessly.

Totally agree! Atkins ‘72 is the only one I’ve followed.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-21, 18:13

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM

I basically still follow Atkins '72, but it is so simple that there is not much to talk about in a thread. I do check in whenever someone posts. I tend to follow the more active threads like "Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes" (Bernstein aims for 24g carbs per day) and "LC Research/Media".
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-21, 10:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 215/215/170 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins 72

It has been sometime since I have perused Low-Carber Forums. I thought I recalled an Atkins 72 thead that was a bit more robust? What happened there?
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-22, 13:36
Registered Member

Stats: 140/140/115 Female 60
BF:
Progress:

It's been a long time since I checked in, too. Atkins 72 worked well for me, and still does when I use it. I hope people are at least checking in here, I have a question re bread.
Didn't Dr Atkins write that "Bread is not only fattening, but it makes you fat" ?
I think he did, but I haven't seen it in my books--I don't have the '72 anymore. Can anyone help? Thanks.