Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: General / Paleo / Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 31%

You should check out the book Your Body's Many Cries for Water. I say it in a health food shop and thought - what a strange title for a book.

Here's the website http://www.watercure.com/

The author's thesis is that essentially every illness (including obesity) is as a result of chronic dehydration. Your body can't do anything right unless it is well watered. I don't know if his very ambitious claims are true, but I do know that if I drink 3 litres of water a day, I lose weight, my mind is clear and my skin is lovely.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 11:33

Plan: zeroish carbs
Stats: 388/300/150 Female 66inches
BF:unfortunately
Progress: 37%

My father mentioned this book many years ago and I read it myself about 2 years ago. Very interesting read.

I still struggle to drink my water daily even though I see excellent results it still isn't enough of a motivator.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 16:01

Plan: whey protein
Stats: 135/110/110 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmommy
Even with seeing the great results it still is not as easy as pie. For me I am starting to really notice for some reason I find the texture of water odd in my mouth... I get flashbacks to having to take cod liver oil as a child because I feel the exact same way.

Yes, "Just do it" is a good quick move. But also, think about it. There's something about it in your mind maybe, and you can fix that. When I was young I didn't drink much water, and my mother, who was a nurse, reminded me to. Later, in my early 20's, she wasn't there to remind me, and I had two kidney infections. Expensive doctor bill. The second time, the doctor told me I could avoid recurring infections by getting into the habit of drinking water. He said, "Why don't you like it?" I said, "Well, I don't exactly dislike it. It's just always seemed like nothing - clear, empty, a waste of time." Then he told me about the benefits for ridding the body of toxins, etc. That put a whole new light on it. I had had a mindset against it because I really thought I knew what it was, and I didn't. Sure enough, I never had any more kidney infections.

Also, I kind of say to myself everytime I drink a glass of ice water: This is refreshing, cheap, no calories, better than another cup of coffee, great for my body.

Another little odd item I read on the internet yesterday: German doctors say that many people love Coca-Cola because the secret formula contains mimosa, which is an herb that has an anti-depressant effect.

Last edited by csusie : Sun, Jan-13-08 at 16:09.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 14:01

Plan: south beach
Stats: 338/288/199 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Loved the post, thanks for the laugh.

It's so hard to get all the water in, I have to sit down and chug it most days. Some days I come way short of my daily requirements. One thing I make sure to do is drink while eating. It helps me to eat slower and feel fuller.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-08, 12:53

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Okay I'm in, I'm drinking as I type this so to speak lol... I did read that it helps a stall in another low carb book so bottoms up!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-08, 22:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/157/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:?/24.7%/22%
Progress: 33%

Wow, this has inspired me. I actually gag when I try to drink water. I'm not losing--so maybe this is the tip I needed. 80 oz. a day is evidently what I need. Thanks for the thread!!!!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 08:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:

For those of you who have trouble drinking plain water- have you tried different types of cups? Maybe it would go down better in a sports-type bottle, or through a straw? Maybe a real glass (as opposed to a plastic or paper one) so you don't get any funky off-tastes from the container? Try differnent kinds of water filters to see if one brand makes the water more tasty to you? Maybe bottled water (though this can get expensive in the long term)?
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 13:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/157/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:?/24.7%/22%
Progress: 33%

Okay, so today I've already drank 32 ounces. I found what helped me was to use a straw. I found an old 32 oz. thermos mug with a lid and place for a straw. I figure if I drink at least 3 of these a day, that will cover my needed water intake. I was down .5 pound from yesterday, so maybe it helped. Too soon to tell, but one can always hope.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-08, 13:03

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP

I definitely need to drink more water and less Diet Pepsi...going to go fill up my 32 oz cup now....
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-08, 11:34

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 175/170/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hoping this is what will get me out of a stall. I used to drink a lot of water then gradually got out of the habit.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-09, 14:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/131/128 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 89%

loved your video journal
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-09, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbonnet
loved your video journal

huh? Not sure what you mean.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-09, 10:59

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I HATE water.....

But you all have convinced me.

sigh....

Guess I'll have to try.

I haven't lost in a while.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-09, 12:34

Well I am back to giving a try with water again too. Even with the great results I struggle to drink my water. I have all week off from work so no excuses. Bottoms up everyone.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Mar-22-09, 12:18

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/165/120 Female 5'3.5
BF:

Heh-I hated water too. After about a month of drinking my 8 glasses a day-I am addicted. I hate getting stuck in places without water now. Be careful not to drink more than a gallon a day. Drinking too much will cause you to retain again and wash out important vitamins in your body.