Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 14:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 258/251/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Default water retention

Did anyone have water retention after increasing water intake? I started increasing my water a week and a half ago and have retained a lot of water for 8 days. I'm now drinking 1/2 my body weight in ounces, but the water stays. I should start TOM soon (was hoping it would be yesterday or today - was anyone late for TOM after starting this WOE?). I am frustrated to say the least. I've tried an herbal water pill and it didn't work either. So over the last week and a half I have gained a pound and not lost any 'weight' because of all the water. I am hoping above all hope that I am still losing fat during all this.

At what point should I be concerned about this water retention? Before increasing water I know I was dehydrated (was lucky if I got 6 cups of water).

Darcy

Last edited by LC4me2 : Wed, Aug-27-03 at 14:28.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 08:00
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You don't actually have edema, do you? If so, you'll have to have that checked out at the doctor. Otherwise, it will probably sort itself out after TOM. Insulin is the master hormone, and the drop in insulin will affect your estrogen and progesterone levels. It's normal, and things will sort themselves out within a cycle or two. Soon, you will probably find a big decrease in PMS symptoms.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 09:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 258/251/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Default not sure

I don't know if I have edema or not - I sure hope not. I'm really hoping it's just PMS and sudden onslaught of water. I am hoping PMS symptoms will get better - they're usually not as bad as this, but have not been so fun lately (well, I'm not fun when I have PMS).

It was actually good that I didn't start TOM yet because I had an ultrasound this morning and in order to get a look at my ovaries they had to use the internal ultrasound and that would not have been possible with TOM and I would not want to have to reschedule. I was cramping this morning though so I hope with that and the ultrasound invasion I'll start today. If I still am retaining water when TOM is over I will go see a doctor for sure.

Thanks,
Darcy

Last edited by LC4me2 : Thu, Aug-28-03 at 10:00.