Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-19, 03:34

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Meat is crucial for feeding the planet, going vegan is not more green, say scientists

Meat is crucial for feeding the planet, and going vegan is not more green, say scientists

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...say-scientists/

Quote:
Meat is crucial for feeding the planet, leading scientists have said, as they warned it is not more environmentally-friendly to go vegan.

Experts from the University of Edinburgh and Scotland’s Rural College said farmers were increasingly feeling demonised by the unsupported ‘meat is evil’ claims being promoted by environmental lobbyists.

Speaking at a panel in central London, they argued that meat was critical for the physical and mental health of children, particularly in developing countries, and said that moving away from livestock farming would not improve land use.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-19, 07:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It's always great to see some sense in the news.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-19, 16:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Waste---- a new organization recently awarded a 500,000 $ grant purchased warehouses to store unwanted food. As wholesalers receive fresher product the old is dumped in trash.

Showed the rescue of 3 pallets of peaches. And the refrigerated warehouse is full. Staff work at whole sale markets to scoop up pallets and crates to reroute to the storage facility. The food is given away at food pantries. Food that was destined for the landfills.

Also the prepackaged greens are trashed. Cant be composted, cant be recycled as is. One trash facility created a complex sorter that eats those filled bags, then spits out plastic in one bin and lettuce in another to be composted. Looked complicated and expensive.

Bottom line was 30-40% of food never makes it to the consumer.

New resolution: I refuse to buy prepackaged vegetables. Loose only from now on!!

Bet meat is not wasted like that. Trimmings end up in dog food.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Nov-28-19 at 16:28.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-19, 21:19

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Also the prepackaged greens are trashed.

I don't know what the packers do to those greens, but they taste nasty. I tried a few thinking it would make preparing meals easier. Nope - harder. Had to sort out the greens that were already putrefying. And they smelled bad & tasted bad. At least with my unpackaged vegetables, I can notice when they are starting to go south & can feed them to the chickens instead of putting them straight into the compost.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-19, 23:42

BF:

I will Not buy those bags ever. Dont hold for long.

I find the boxes are a far better choice. And if a few are "petrifying" ,as you said, time to saute what is left.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-19, 23:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

The lettuces in those bags I'm convinced are sprayed with preservatives. They are usually leaves so what else would keep them looking so fresh for days?
When I buy lettuce I love to buy the living butter lettuce intact with roots in the plastic domes. They are about $2.50 but 100% of it gets eaten. Like I told DH once, if we're throwing away 1/2 of something that means we paid twice the price for what got eaten.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-19, 05:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
When I buy lettuce I love to buy the living butter lettuce intact with roots in the plastic domes. They are about $2.50 but 100% of it gets eaten. Like I told DH once, if we're throwing away 1/2 of something that means we paid twice the price for what got eaten.

Exactly.

I only buy greens from our local farms, sold in the health food store. Stays fresh for days and we eat every bit.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-19, 10:05

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Grasslands take tons of water, herbicides and fertilizer to grow veggies in. And making the fertilizer creates 100 times more methane than all the cow farts and burps in the world. Source : Cornell University, the Environmental Defense Fund and the EPA

Cows fertilize the grasslands with their waste products and need nothing but what mother nature provides - until they get send to the feed lot to eat corn to fatten them up so they can get more pounds out of the steer.

If you want to be kind to the environment, simply eat 100% grass fed (and not grain 'finished') beef.

Bob
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-19, 13:46

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
The lettuces in those bags I'm convinced are sprayed with preservatives. They are usually leaves so what else would keep them looking so fresh for days?
Good point.
In the 70s I worked in the restaurant business. When the lettuce got “rusty,” they washed it in some kind of chemical that took the rust out and the lettuce lived to see another couple of days. I don’t know what the stuff was made of.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-19, 23:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama

If you want to be kind to the environment, simply eat 100% grass fed (and not grain 'finished') beef.

Bob

Did I ever mention the farmer in VT that developed his own "breed" of hog?? He selected those from a group of breeds that didnot root up the soils but did more grazing . Rather clever integrsted system using apple trees, brewers grains, hay, and a pumpkin patch. The freerange hens produced eggs to meet the higher ptotein need of the piglets. The sows had a lovely igloo to give birth, and her own large pen . Eventually all brought out to the big pastures.

The property is well fenced with dogs to protect the livestock.

Far from the commercial hog facilities.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Nov-29-19 at 23:07.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-19, 23:09

BF:

Quote:

Good math!!!

Im ready to start a batch of lettuce.... so I know nothing is added.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-19, 23:15

BF:

From Walter at Sugar Mtn farm, Vermont

"
Daily Spark: What vegan’s don’t realize is that nut milk doesn’t come from cows, it comes from bulls."
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-19, 03:35

Plan: The Diet Cure
Stats: 155/105/100 Female 156 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 91%

If I read this a week ago, I would have been absolutely livid. Even since converting to eating meat again, it doesn't even remotely convince me I've made the right decision. I'm so glad that I can read it to see a different perspective, having been brainwashed for so long so thank you for posting.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-19, 08:15

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Did I ever mention the farmer in VT that developed his own "breed" of hog?? He selected those from a group of breeds that didnot root up the soils but did more grazing . Rather clever integrsted system using apple trees, brewers grains, hay, and a pumpkin patch. The freerange hens produced eggs to meet the higher ptotein need of the piglets. The sows had a lovely igloo to give birth, and her own large pen . Eventually all brought out to the big pastures.

The property is well fenced with dogs to protect the livestock.

Far from the commercial hog facilities.

Are they kunekunes? I just read about this breed a few weeks ago. They takes longer to grow to harvest weight, but sound like a good thing. Wish I had pasture.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-19, 08:37

BF:

Quote:
From Walter at Sugar Mtn farm, Vermont

"
Daily Spark: What vegan’s don’t realize is that nut milk doesn’t come from cows, it comes from bulls."

LOL. I know I'll be using that one soon!

I had my 90% carnivore Thanksgiving for the first time, and I loved it! Salad, shrimp and cheese, big plate of prime rib. I kept telling the carver "keep going" to the delight of the other people in line

I indulged in their ranch dressing, cocktail sauce, creamy horseradish sauce, but all homemade and not that sweet. I did eat the filling of two small wedges of pumpkin pie, with sweetened whipped cream, but it was still the healthiest meal at the buffet all day, I am sure.