Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 14:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've got a pretty good subset of Lupus symptoms, pleurlitic pain, photosensitivity, joint/muscle aches, chronic blood in urine. I don't have the rash but I do get a flush in the same area. My doctor is sending me for more tests, but so far 2 tests are positive: ANA Hep2 Cell, Hep 2 Pattern. The weirdest thing that happens to me is this pain right between my breasts when I breathe deeply. And I think the most pervasive symptoms is just feeling tired and sleepy all the time.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-06, 02:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Ah, I do so hope it turns out to be something else. I don't know about the Hep 2 pattern test; will inquire.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-06, 18:42

BF:

So I guess the ANA tests are just the first step - they say you've got some kind(s) of autoimmune disease, but not what type. This is a good site: Lab Tests Online

and it had this table summarizing the various tests and their interpretation: Systemic Autoimmune Disorders

There is an interesting article called The Mosaic of Autoimmunity here.

You may already know all this stuff - I'm interested because sometimes I wonder if the Hashimoto's is all that's going on for me, too.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-06, 19:39
Experimenter

BF:

Yes, I'm getting the ANA double stranded DNA test done next. Lab Tests Online rocks, I've been using it to investigate my results.

You know, I just had so many weird, symptoms and knew that whole gluten intolerance thing was linked to lots of autoimmune disease, I made a list of every little weird thing going on and brought it to him. Of course, I did my homework online and was pretty sure I had Lupus or something similar.

I guess there's some sort of disorder that predisposes some people to lots of autoimmune diseases too. Bleh!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-06, 23:11

BF:

Bleh, indeed. I spent months going through emedicine trying to figure out what was wrong with me while my thyroid condition was undiagnosed - then I lost interest/ability as it worsened and I just gave up. (I'm lucky to still be alive, actually. And ain't that a sorry statement about how often thyroid conditions are misdiagnosed?) Now that I've got my mind back, I'm much more aware of "little" things that aren't right, but that docs don't want to address.

Is your doc ordering these tests or are you able to get them done yourself? I don't think there's much chance of Canada's health system paying for gene testing, but I might be interested in self-funding if things continue to be weird. Right now, they're not so weird that they actively interfere with my life, but it's just a lot of things that aren't right. If that makes any sense...

(Love you new bunny thief avatar, btw. Hope that's a gluten-free cookie!)
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 10:59
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, isn't bunny awesome!?! I got him from here: cuteoverload.com. All I think of when I see that bunny is how much bunny gas there will be after he eats that glutenous thing.

Anyway, my doctor is ordering tests and sent me to a rhuemy. They're both ordering tests right now. So this is covered by my insurance. However, my gluten/casein intolerance testing I paid for myself and went through Enterolab.com. I knew that it wouldn't be covered. Actually, I didn't need the testing. I had already figured out what was up with that by following a GF diet. But he did find the casein intolerance and that really hadn't even crossed my mind. Plus I learned about my genes which was very interesting. I thought I would pass that info onto the family and they could get themselves tested too. So far, they've all just ignored it. Some of them seem like they have a lot of the symptoms.

I'm glad you got your thyroid dosed properly! It sure makes a difference to Mr. Brain doesn't it?

With whatever autoimmune thing I have going on, it really is causing a lot of fatigue and no amount of T3 seems to fix it. I think for me the best thing is just to manage my limited energy better. I got a nap yesterday and a bit of extra sleep last night and I feel great today! I'm also taking care to really keep out of the sun and wear my sunscreen.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-09, 06:45

Plan: my own
Stats: 161/159/135 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you!

Nancy - I read your blog and I felt like I was reading the story of my life. The only difference is I am now on Cytomel with my 150mg of Synthroid. Thank you, thank you, thank you...I am not crazy. I want to share your story with my husband, Mom, family, and my Dr. For crying out loud, maybe now they will know there is WAY more to this!!!!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-09, 13:34
Experimenter

BF:

That story was really old! I've been gluten free for a few years now. I also went dairy free (mostly) about 6 months later. I really do feel a lot better without the gluten and dairy. I don't use T3 at all any longer, feel better without it actually.

It seems like sticking semi-closely to paleo helps with many things for me.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-13, 17:48

Plan: 20-25 carbs day PSMF
Stats: 263/199/165 Female 5'9'
BF:
Progress: 65%

After going low carb for a year (and gluten free by way of low carb) I have also learned that my Hypothyroidism went away. I used to have to take Synthroid 100. After testing last November I was told I no longer needed the meds! I also was cured of my IBS. Ater doing a lot of reading and adding some gluten to my diet, I found I was gluten intolerant. I would get IBS symptoms along with many others after being gluttened! After researching the symptoms, I learned I had almost every single one of them! Now low carb, and gluten free, I feel wonderful!