Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-13, 16:02
Registered Member

Plan: wheatbelly variation
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress:

I just ordered a crock pot so I can try some of the low carb recipes I've been seeing, like yours! DO you cut up the meat first?
Also, what is the difference between a tenderloin and pork loin?
Is a tenderlion beef?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-13, 03:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Both pork, though a beef roast would work in that green salsa too. The result should be like the shredded meats in a spicy sauce put into tortillas at Chilpolte. Chicken works too but cooked a shorter time.
The pork tenderloins are long thin pieces with almost no fat, but TJs has those in stock more often than a standard roast, go figure. I just cut the tenderloin in half to fit into the pot. It just falls apart when cooked. Most beef chuck roasts or pork roasts you cook whole, but can also make stews in crockpots.
Our TJ's has Kosher Stew beef i use to make Italian stew, basic stew with a can of TJ's diced tomatoes and seasonings. Tip...many standard crockpot recipes are already low carb by their nature of being just meat and veg.
Here is one paleo recipe site that lists the slow cooker recipes separately. Recently posted a beef burgundy and a butternut squash stew.
http://www.rubiesandradishes.com/ca...es/slow-cooker/

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Oct-28-13 at 03:22.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-13, 12:31
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Great info, thanks Janet! I want to try yours first, sounds so easy! I get my crockpot tomorrow (love Amazon Prime!) it was less than $20!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-13, 11:18
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Do you brown the tenderloin first? I got the pineapple salsa instead of the verde!

Ok, I did not brown since you did not mention that. I also bought some bacon end pieces at TJ's and through some of those in. It smells really good!

Last edited by cuechick : Wed, Oct-30-13 at 15:42.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-13, 03:13

By this time, just let us know how it tasted.
Pineapple and bacon flavors together sounds good! I was looking at a few new TJ flavors of salsa...there are only slight variations in the carb count...some with more roasted or smokey flavors and think any of them would work in a slow cooker. I do not brown the tenderloin in this recipe but I usually do if making a big roast. Crockpots are the most forgiving method to make any meat...a wide range of hours, just about any flavor of sauce, brown or not...it all works.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-13, 14:22
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

It turned out great! I am very happy and yes they have a lot of great options. I bought some yellow thai curry, it is a bit higher in carbs than the salsas but I love curry and think it will be a nice option.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-13, 15:04

Another crockpot ...take the quick-frozen chicken breasts sold in a bag, put in crockpot with your TJ curry or other sauce, maybe some onion and carrot, cook all day on low. You may read some info about this method as being unsafe but I'm still here http://noshblog.com/2011/11/07/whats-for-dinner-2/ Like like the Red Thai sauce too.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-13, 17:53
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Yeah, I think the directions on my pot says not to use frozen meats... but that sounds good. I might try turnips instead of potato or carrot.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-13, 05:00

Not just TJ's, though Sarah uses many of their products. Two crockpot recipes here. Rachel's chili and the Smokey Roast with coffee...it seemed a weird idea but I tried last winter and it is good!
http://everydaypaleo.com/go-recipes/

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Nov-05-13 at 08:18.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-13, 21:50
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I picked up a package of "Hawaiian" style boneless short ribs and cooked them in my slow cooker with just a little onion, 1 small parsnip peeled and sliced and some water. Very tasty, especially the next day. I made it as a taco for lunch today with some fontina cheese and a low carb tortilla...yum!

Just loving my crock pot!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-13, 04:29

Plan: will follow LC
Stats: 305/305/155 Female 5' 5"
BF:unhealthy
Progress: 0%

So glad I saw this thread yesterday! Went to TJs and stocked up Thank You for the ideas!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-13, 14:24

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

trader joes is my main source for

grassfed beef
organic eggs
coconut oil
seasonings
olive oil
kerry gold butter
veggies
avocados
almonds
vitamins

love that place!
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-13, 21:58
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I went today and saw they now have a prepared horseradish. I make a super easy and fast guacamole with this stuff... just mix with very ripe avocados, fresh lemon juice, about 1/2 a teaspoon of the horseradish per avocado and salt & pepper... you can also add a little hot sauce if you like. That's it! Really good...!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-13, 09:42

From last year, I can recommend the fresh Brined Turkeys. The brining keeps them moist, and fresh is tastier than frozen. Just rub on butter. I make a SF cranberry sauce from the fresh bag of organic cranberries, add lots of orange zest. The cranberry chèvre log is yummy and pretty for an appetizer.

My usual quiet early Sunday shop was way busier today (no wine sold 'til noon). TJ's is loaded with Christmas gifts. Walk by the cookies and candies, there are soaps, bath salts, the four pack of mustards is back (bought extra for myself and used them all year), Christmas teas and coffees (Cinnamon Tempest, Peppermint Green Tea, spiced coffee called Winter Blend, etc.)

I noticed for the first time my store has "Just Cashew Meal" next to the Just AlmondMeal. Carbier, but looks much finer ground, more like flour. I didn't buy it as not much of baker and had not seen recipes with it (maybe it is more a gluten-free product than for LCs?) but if anyone else tries it, let us know.

btw, for the kitty people, my crazy black cat, who hates everything, including human tunafish, is in love with the cat treat from TJs! 12 years old and has never liked any brand of treat, or any wet food, gobbles these up. A complete mystery to me, but the Holistic Feline Treats do look healthy. Her coat, which has always been glossy is even thicker and shinier. https://www.benchandfield.com
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-13, 09:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yes! I bought some cashew meal and have been making "Bowl Cinnamon Rolls" from it (see Baked Goods for Lupin Cinnabon recipe). It isn't substantially better than the almond meal, so I probably won't buy it again. It isn't super fine. I can sieve it through a strainer and some larger bits can't pass through. Lupin flour is much finer.

I will have to try the kitty treats. I hope they're wheat free, I have a cat who wheat does not agree with at all! i.e. I have to haul him to the sink and wash his butt. It makes kitty and owner unhappy.