Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 07:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/170.5/150
BF:
Progress: 55%
Question What Side effects are normal...

I have been very faithful to the Atkins plan and have already dropped 5 lbs (which I am assuming is water). However, the side effects that I am experiencing are not fun. I have a dull headache all day. At the end of the day I am exhausted, but when I go to bed it feels like my metabolism kicks into overdrive! I am not feeling hungry (which is nice) and my cravings are starting to subside. My big question is: How long will the headaches last??

I am on the induction diet right now (day 3) and am following it exactly. I cannot complain to my husband because he thinks I am a little crazy right now (how can I possibly loose weight by eating all this fat...it's impossible!!!??? - whatever!!!).

Any help or similar experiences would be of great help.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 08:13

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

the headache is normal and usually only lasts a few days. you can help it along its way by doing a few things:

1) drink plenty of water; often headaches are a sign you're dehydrated

2) are you taking your vitamins and supplements? Along with water you're losing electrolytes (potassium/sodium/chloride) You can get potassium from a tablet (generally there are 99g per tablet, so you will have to take a few) or you can get some "NuSalt" which is potassium chloride. NuSalt can be found with the regular salt in your grocery store. 1/8 tsp disolved in a LARGE glass of water will give you over 500 mg of potassium. You will prorably be able to discontinue this once induction is over. Potassium will help with the fatigue. I also suggest a good calcium/magnesium supplement. They come together in one pill with a ratio of 2:1 (333mg cal/167mg mag). Make sure that the brand you get is chelated. One tablet with each meal and one an hour before bed will do the job. One of the nice side effects of magnesium is that it is very soothing and increases the quality of your sleep.

3) Try cutting out all artificial Sweeteners for a few days to see if that helps. Many people are sensitive to them and they can cause headaches.

Your husband is going to be pleasantly surprized This WOE does work, you're going to be feeling more energetic and healthier and you will continue to lose that weight.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 08:19

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I've experienced the night-time 'overdrive' too, and I think it's your body adjusting to ketosis. It went away after a couple of weeks.

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 10:02

BF:

Ok...at least I know I am not going crazy!!

Quote:
1) drink plenty of water; often headaches are a sign you're dehydrated

I drink a ton of water...so I don't think it is that. However, I am thirsty all the time (mouth dry, etc.). I probably drink about 70 - 100 oz a day.

Quote:
2) are you taking your vitamins and supplements?

Yes and no. I take GNC Womens Ultra Mega multi vitamin (2x per day) and cal/mag (yes cheltrated), vitamin E and Gamma Oil (all 1x per day). I didn't take the calcuim more because I was worried of too much....

I don't take artifical sweetners (I am not a sugar fan at all - just nice starchy carbs!!!

Thanks for the reply...at least I know this is some what normal. I will try your suggestions for more vitamins (especially potassium)
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 10:06
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Talking Side Effects

Headaches were a big problem for me at the beggining, and they will rear their ugly head anytime I have one of my planned "cheat-weekends". I think it is kind of standard. But, the guys and gals on this board have given you some awesome advice. . . I never get there in time !

Good for you on starting up though!

Mike
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 11:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally posted by tracysev
....... I take GNC Womens Ultra Mega multi vitamin (2x per day) and cal/mag (yes cheltrated), vitamin E and Gamma Oil (all 1x per day). I didn't take the calcuim more because I was worried of too much....
... WHOA!! .... does the label on those multiple vitamins tell you to take two per day???? Most multiple supplements are meant to be ONCE a day only!! The reason is that some of the nutrients they contain are already at or close to the maximum amount you should take in one day. Doubling-up could put you in an unhealthy situation ... especially vitamins A & D, iron and chromium. Multi's are meant to cover the basics, then if you need more of certain nutrients ... typically calcium, magnesium and potassium are present in amounts below the RDA ... then you would take these nutrients as a separate supplement.

I checked the GNC website, and they have posted a good article on the role of once-daily multivitamin & mineral supplements. Click here to read it.

Calcium is important for more than just strong bones. In fact BONE is technically just the storage form of calcium in the body. Calcium is most important for nerve conduction to the muscles. Adults under 50 yrs need at least 1,000mg per day, over 50 yrs need 1,200 per day ... women AND men. In fact, this amount is under review, and some experts recommend that RDA be increased to 1,200mg per day up to 50yrs, and 1,500mg per day over 50 yrs.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 12:05

BF:

Quote:
... WHOA!! .... does the label on those multiple vitamins tell you to take two per day????

Yep...it does. It states that Adults should take 2 per day or as directed by a physician. I had originally thought it was a lot, but my Naturopath suggested it twice (unless I was eating a lot of raw veggies and fruit).

I will definitely check out the GNC web site. I don't want to be doubling up if I don't need to.

As far as the calcium....thanks for the stats. I am always unsure about how much of the supplement I should take, especially if I am also eating cheese on a daily basis. I've heard too much calcium could also be a bad thing. Is this true??

Again, thanks for all the great info. I want to do this right the first time!!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 12:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by tracysev
I've heard too much calcium could also be a bad thing. Is this true??

According to the National Institutes of Health it should be safe for adults to consume up to 2,000 mg of calcium every day without adverse side effects, going over that may lower the absorption of certain medications, such as tetracycline, and of some nutrients, including iron.

Also, your body only absorps a small percentage of the calcium you give it every day (approx 30%)

Nat