Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 21:01

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%
Default It's Log!

Okay, time to start a workout log.
On friday, I picked up this:

Now, it's been about 10 years since I've been on a bike, so I'm way out of shape. I have been putting in some time on the exercycle at the gym, but it's not the same.

So today was my first day out. It was a warm day (for this time of year) in the philadelphia area, in the low 70s. Perfect to break in the new bike. I drove to French Creek park, mainly because a good portion of the park hasn't opened for the season yet, so I could drive the back roads and parking lots in relative privacy.

For the first time out on the bike, things went very well. I did a little over 10 miles, averaging over 10mph on some fairly hilly terrain. It wasn't an intense workout by any means, I stopped several times to rest, and generally just enjoyed it. Took time to get use to the gearing, and stuff like that. I probably would have stayed out longer, but I ran out of water.

The bike is great. A fairly smooth ride. The fitting when I picked it up certainly helped. Had a little trouble with the front derailer mid way through the ride, but it straitened itself out towards the end. I'm sure it's something that will be adjusted with the 30 day tune-up.

So, at the end of the day, I'm nicely tired, my legs are drained, and the saddle soreness is bad, but not as bad as I had been expecting. I'm looking forward to my next time out, whenever that is.

--nw
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 22:55

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Congrats on your first ride with the new bike! Going 10 miles at about 10 MPH isn't bad at all. The soreness you feel in your "saddle" goes away after a few rides, then the butt toughens up.

My only advice - speaking from firsthand knowledge - is be cautiouis about overdoing it! You'll probably feel progressively better with each ride and be tempted to push your limits. Some of that is great, but my recent knee problems kicked in when I went overboard. Fortunately I caught the issue early and was given strengthening exercises for my quads and hammies (helps a lot!), but it could've been a lot worse - and all due to my own over-exuberance...

Looks like I'll be able to pick up my Bianchi this coming week - I'm looking forward to that!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 11:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/219/150 Female 5'6"
BF:not done yet
Progress: 39%

Oh, heck, I have so many cents what is two more here? So, for what it is worth.... Flight Deck, Flight Deck, Flight Deck........ I swear I think it was the only thing that made going into a road bike and index shifting do-able for me. Shimano makes 'em and I know there are lots of other comps out there, but I have crashed mine, crushed mine, whacked mine, drown mine and given it about 6,000 miles, and it still works while showing a 'cockpit' type of layout so you always know where you are, gear-wize that is.

Now, on a lighter note, if either of you two gents feel like riding in Atlanta next weekend, or coming down for the tour, or anyone else that wanders across this for that matter, give me a holler!

sen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 17:07
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Just to let you know you didn't miss any good biking weather today! First day I thought I'd be able to get out since the family went away to their respective homes but NOOOOOO..... 40 degrees and windy here in Amishland. Yesterday would have been nice but I was out all day.
Maybe tomorrow......
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 20:52

Well, it was a nice sunny day, so off on the bike I went.

I pulled a muscle in my back on thursday night, and it was killing me on friday, but felt great this morning, so no excuses.

I did better with speed and distance, but I still have a tendency to stop every two or three miles to rest. Gotta work on that.

I managed to average 12.2 mph today. It was actually above 15, but I decided to hit some hills just before the end of the day. I totaled 13.13 miles today. Top speed was over 26mph (downhill)... First time i've broken the speed limit without a motor vehicle.

The bike was riding great. The front derailer that was giving me trouble last week seemed to be working fine today.

Proper bike shorts really helped with the saddle soreness.

--nw
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 20:29

beautiful warm day today... But since I only get one day at home this weekend, not much time. Also severely lacking sleep. Also too many things to get done before my flight tomorrow.

Anyway, enough excuses. My blood was boiling today over some personal issues, so as soon as I had a free moment, I grabbed the bike and went to Valley Forge park. I was hoping since it was around dinner time the park would be empty, but no such luck. Wound up doing 6 1/4 miles, something like 12mph I guess (didn't check). I was planning to do more, but I got hit in the eye by a bug, and it got stuck there. luckily I was close to the jeep, so I went home and washed it out.

I did much better with the moderate hills today, and stamina seemed better. Don't know if this is due to practice, or the rage I was dealing with.

Anyway, the rage is passing. The eye is washed clean. And at least I got some saddle time.

--nw
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 22:20
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Glad you had a good ride...... nothing like pounding out frustrations on pavement! Hope the eye is OK.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 22:40

BF:

Hey - sounds like you've gotten a couple good rides in - that's great. As for the bug thing - that's just strange! LOL It got caught there???

I finally picked up Mia yesterday - what a difference from my mountain bike! I'm waiting for the mount kit for my cyclocomputer (allows me to use same computer on 2 bikes), so I'm not sure how fast/far I went, but it was enjoyable!

Anyway - glad to hear you got some rides in. If you get a chance, you should take some pics of where you ride...
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 17:29

I must be the cruel one here, because I am laughing my butt off! You are supposed to ride with your MOUTH open so you eat those bugs for your during-ride-protein source, LOL! At least, that is what I always wind up doing, without even trying!

Can't tell you how many times I've nearly capsized, all for swallowing some flying protein and gagging.

Know what helps when you ride without sleep? Starbucks. I know your frame, the Sequoia that is, because I have the sister bike to it, the Sirrus, sitting here with a 'for sale' sign on it (a victim of an initial, non-educated buying choice a couple of years ago when the 2002's first hit), but it has the same triangle. Because I know the bike, I know that if you get a good grabby bottlecage, like a scusi, and squish it in on your seat tube mount, it will perfectly hold a grande with a sleeve on it, for your ride............
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 18:42

Thanks for the starbucks tip... I might just have to try that.

I'll start riding with my mouth open to catch the bugs, but keeping my eyes closed might be a problem. Sunglasses worked fine today, and a different location proved bug-problem free.

Anyway, a perfect day today. Put 15 miles on her today, but only averaged about 11mph on flat land due to heavy trail traffic. The bike is ready for it's 30 day tune-up, but it will have to wait till after my trip to Jazzfest next weekend. No bug issues today, and I really could have gone much further, but the traffic started to annoy me.

--nw
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 08:06

Hey There NoWonder-

I do perfectly recall riding in Philly, with the cars honking and cursing, which I prefer to assume is their way of letting me know I am looking better in my lycra!

I know Lance has been hit something like 5 times with no ill-effects, but I don't like the sound of being hit even once. Having said that, I still have come to the point where I love to ride in traffic for the 'push' that the airstream gives me. It's a high - but maybe I need a shrink.

sen
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 19:25

A good weekend... I thought I had to return to Baton Rouge on sunday, but luckily the flight is monday morning, so I decided to spend the afternoon on the bike again. Today was cold and a little rainy... I did manage to do 12 miles before I got too cold and went home. I was faster than yesterday, I think around 14mph, which is pretty good since I was still a little sore.

Glad I got the second ride in since I won't be home next weekend.

Sen: your honking excuse works fine for women...

--nw
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 12:35

Got a short 6.2 mile drive in last night. Stopped early due to darkness.

--nw
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 17:43

As penance for a week of debauchery, I managed 25 miles today. I'm sore, I'm tired. It was great.

The bike is well overdue for it's 30day tune-up. Gotta get it in the shop next weekend even if it means missing some riding.

--nw
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 20:15

BF:

Hey nowonder, great news on the ride! I did a long one today as well - nearly 40 miles (38.7 exact) - so I can identify with the soreness and fatigue. It does feel great too, though! I took Mia in for her 'new bike check-up' last week - so far she's performing admirably except I keep getting flats! Might have to look at some new tires if this continues - 3 rides, 3 flats - and always the front tire. Strange...

Take care...