Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 16:23

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
From my anecdotal observations on the board, often the people who lose some weight and then stall out while sticking to plan discover other issues--often food sensitivities/allergies, hormonal imbalances, thyroid issues, etc. Once these issues are identified and corrected, weight loss often resumes. Obviously there may be exceptions to this, but it does seem to be a pattern.

--Melissa

and I fourth it! I think you have to add in age as well, not that aging will prevent you from losing but combined with the above mentioned and previously mentioned inflammation makes it more difficult.

the real key though is finding either the medical professional to help you discover the imbalances or have enough $$$ to do it yourself.

this is a really interesting and thought inspiring thread.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 16:53

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRuth
BMI is genetically driven. Dr. Stunkard has proven that with his twin and adoption studies. Thing is, no one wants to admit that. Where would the diet industry be?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3941707

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/256/1/51

We know that the healthiest weight in terms of mortality is "overweight" to "obese." Scientists (but not the general public) know that the most unhealthy weight is "underweight."

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=10392

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/558227_4

http://www.imminst.org/forum/topic/...f-90000-adults/

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v...l/0801082a.html

Why don't we make what we eat all about health and not what the scale says? My answer is $$$ and the lies that we've been told for years.

ETA: Y'all do know that the act of losing weight increases mortality? It could be the re-gaining, but intentional weight loss is associated with increased mortality.

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v...ijo201041a.html

Yeah, I think this is what I am getting at - what if being thin does not = healthy? Everyone falls victim to this mentality. My husband has a 29" waist and looks muscular and extremely healthy and, yet, he's prediabetic (you can look at my profile pic to see him). For him, it's a HUGE question, can he reverse what 35 years of carbs and wheat did to him? 3-4 years of zero carb and obsessing about health have not fixed his blood sugar, just controlled crashes but his A1C still sucks. He would much rather have my extra 70 pounds than his risk of diabetes. For me, meh... Sure, I would love to be "normal" weight, but once I get below my "stasis" weight of around 205, I can take it or leave it from a health perspective - I don't feel healthier at all.
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 17:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Janine, what was causing your high cortisol? I just got my cortisol tested and it came back as high all day but the early morning it's rather lowish.
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 17:53

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
However, this guy - "cajunboy47" - who has been posting on this forum for a good while - seems to have reversed his diabetes and can now eat carbs in goodly portions with no blood sugar problems.
Thanks, yes, I asked him about it at one time and he referred me to his journal where he said he had documented the whole journey - and I keep meaning to go there and read it, along with the few dozen other things I keep meaning to do, . If I only had a 72-hour day I might actually be able to do them all!
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 18:06

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRuth
BMI is genetically driven. Dr. Stunkard has proven that with his twin and adoption studies. Thing is, no one wants to admit that. Where would the diet industry be?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3941707

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/256/1/51

We know that the healthiest weight in terms of mortality is "overweight" to "obese." Scientists (but not the general public) know that the most unhealthy weight is "underweight."

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=10392

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/558227_4

http://www.imminst.org/forum/topic/...f-90000-adults/

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v...l/0801082a.html

Why don't we make what we eat all about health and not what the scale says? My answer is $$$ and the lies that we've been told for years.

ETA: Y'all do know that the act of losing weight increases mortality? It could be the re-gaining, but intentional weight loss is associated with increased mortality.

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v...ijo201041a.html

The twin study merely shows that the time spent inside the womb has an ever greater effect than we thought. In other words, what the mother eats has a lifelong effect on one's physiology. What, you mean what we eat now that no effect on our current physiology? But how do we lose the weight now then, by praying to our genes? But we can't just blame our mothers. Try it just for kicks and see how far you go with that.

"Healthiest weight" in a civilized population is like comparing sick apples to sicker apples. There are no healthy humans in a civilized population. At least that's what Weston Price showed us with his observation of isolated populations vs the same genetic stock but now civilized. These isolated populations were all healthier than the rest of us city folks. None were overweight. Remember, crooked teeth and dental caries is the norm with civilized humans. With isolated populations, perfect teeth is the norm.

Or to put it another way, don't blame the diesel engine when you try to make it run on gasoline. The engine was designed to run on diesel, not on gasoline. So, don't blame our genes when you try to run them on carbs.

Last edited by M Levac : Tue, Sep-21-10 at 18:50.
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 18:35

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Yeah, I think this is what I am getting at - what if being thin does not = healthy? Everyone falls victim to this mentality. My husband has a 29" waist and looks muscular and extremely healthy and, yet, he's prediabetic (you can look at my profile pic to see him). For him, it's a HUGE question, can he reverse what 35 years of carbs and wheat did to him? 3-4 years of zero carb and obsessing about health have not fixed his blood sugar, just controlled crashes but his A1C still sucks. He would much rather have my extra 70 pounds than his risk of diabetes. For me, meh... Sure, I would love to be "normal" weight, but once I get below my "stasis" weight of around 205, I can take it or leave it from a health perspective - I don't feel healthier at all.

Some thin people I know in real life think they are healthy just because they are thin and believe they can eat all the crap they want. I wish they would learn this lesson. I also would rather be obese than prediabetic.
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 19:58

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
CORN SUGAR is an old name for pure dextrose derived from CORN ---- corn sugar is an old staple from long ago, and it has NOTHING whatsoever to do with corn syrup, or with high fructose corn syrup.
But if the makers of High Fructose Corn Syrup get their product renamed "corn sugar" as they are trying to do how will consumers tell the two apart?
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 20:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Janine, what was causing your high cortisol? I just got my cortisol tested and it came back as high all day but the early morning it's rather lowish.

I don't remember anything about how it is supposed to be different throughout the day or why but i do remember that mine was high "for the time of day". I think I was just under stress. We were "restructured" at work and I lost 80% of my colleagues. I had a serious concussion in October followed by a serious soft tissue injury in November (I tore my abdominal muscle away from the fascia that attaches it to the bone - it's called a sports hernia but it has nothing to do with a real hernia). I thought I was going to have to have surgery and there are only a handful of surgeons that even treat it and they all have different techniques so it's a big decision where to go, plus it's major abdominal surgery. I'll be interested to see if it's come down now that my injury is under control. When I had the test done I was in alot of pain all the time.
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 20:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball
Some thin people I know in real life think they are healthy just because they are thin and believe they can eat all the crap they want. I wish they would learn this lesson. I also would rather be obese than prediabetic.

That's why I don't really follow M. Levac''s logic about Weston Price's tribes. If remaining thin were the sum total of proof of adherence to a good diet, I can also sell you a bridge in Brooklyn... There are west African tribes where the women and, how shall we say, bountiful, and yet have no heart disease (talked about less often that the French paradox since it doesn't involve baguettes and Chanel, no doubt).
  #115   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 21:30

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
That's why I don't really follow M. Levac''s logic about Weston Price's tribes. If remaining thin were the sum total of proof of adherence to a good diet, I can also sell you a bridge in Brooklyn... There are west African tribes where the women and, how shall we say, bountiful, and yet have no heart disease (talked about less often that the French paradox since it doesn't involve baguettes and Chanel, no doubt).

Certainly, and they achieved that on purpose by drinking loads of milk from some animal or other. Which begs the question, how would they get fat on purpose without animal husbandry or agriculture? Never mind that they couldn't to it by mistake. A good diet indeed.
  #116   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 21:54

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by margot
After being stuck at 165-175 for years on low carb/VLC (after losing 50lbs) I removed all taste of sweet from my diet and all plant carbs and lost the last 40lbs in less than 9 months.

I then ate fatty meat and drank water and coffee with HWC and the weight fell off effortlessly. I have pretty much maintained that for a year now.

My specific metabolism at this point does not allow me any plant carbs at all, not without cravings, bloat, irritability and weight gain.

Good thing I love eating this way, because this is what I do

PS: I am 45.5 years old and have lost 80+lbs and at my lowest weight since I was 20 years old.

Holy crop Margot! I was just looking at your pictures. You and your hubby actually did that with zero carb and no exercise?
  #117   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 21:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I don't remember anything about how it is supposed to be different throughout the day or why but i do remember that mine was high "for the time of day". I think I was just under stress. We were "restructured" at work and I lost 80% of my colleagues. I had a serious concussion in October followed by a serious soft tissue injury in November (I tore my abdominal muscle away from the fascia that attaches it to the bone - it's called a sports hernia but it has nothing to do with a real hernia). I thought I was going to have to have surgery and there are only a handful of surgeons that even treat it and they all have different techniques so it's a big decision where to go, plus it's major abdominal surgery. I'll be interested to see if it's come down now that my injury is under control. When I had the test done I was in alot of pain all the time.

I'm not sure what's causing mine. I'm not stressed at all. I guess it's good to know. High cortisol can lead to weight gain.
  #118   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-10, 06:19

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003
Holy crop Margot! I was just looking at your pictures. You and your hubby actually did that with zero carb and no exercise?

I lost 45lbs on Atkins with exercise in 14 months (210-165). I maintained it for a year and then stopped exercising and lost 4 more lbs in 2 months (161). I started exercising again and gained the 4lbs back and stayed there until I got pregnant in 01/07.

I gained all the weight back (and then) some with the pregnancy. I went back on Atkins (<20carbs with more fat) in 03/08 and lost 45lbs with no exercise (220-167) in 5.5 months.

I started gaining weight again after that to the tune of about 10lbs in 5 months before I went ZC (177). I was eating 10-15 carbs a day.

I ditched those carbs and lost the last 40lbs with no exercise. Hubby does not exercise either. Hubby lost his weight around 4 months.

Neither does Peggy, who lost 77lbs in 11 months of ZC:

http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/...30576#pid230576

We at ZIOH do not condone exercise for weight loss, in fact, we discourage exercise while trying to lose weight.
  #119   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-10, 06:39
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball

20% of all T2 diabetics are normal weight.
  #120   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-10, 07:05

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default not all our ancestors ate VLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Our ancestors ate just meat, fat, and very few carbs for hundreds of thousands of years.

Hiya BawdyWench,

From what we know of our ancestors by looking at the remaining hunter-gatherer societies that still exist pretty much the way we believe they did 1,000s of years ago, it can be said that it is a myth to say that all our ancestors only ate meat, fat and very few carbs. There are various populations whose diets consist of mostly carbs. And they are healthy, too, even the ones who have now taken up smoking with a vengeance.

It seems that the "evil veggies", or too many carbs per se, are not what is responsible for our poor health, but a multitude of factors which are intimately connected with our western lifestyles, over-processed food and abundance of toxins in our soil, air and surroundings.

It is a gross over-simplification to claim that all our ancestors lived on a VLC diet and simply not true.

Read what Stephan Guyenet has to say about the Kitavans. This is the beginning of the article:

Quote:
There's a lot to be learned from the Kitava study. Kitavans eat a diet of root vegetables, coconut, fruit, vegetables and fish and have undetectable levels of cardiovascular disease (CVD), stroke and overweight. Despite smoking like chimneys. 69% of their calories come from carbohydrate, 21% from fat and 10% from protein. This is essentially a carbohydrate-heavy version of what our paleolithic ancestors ate. They also get lots of sunshine and have a moderately high activity level.

The first thing we can say is that a high intake of carbohydrate is not enough, by itself, to cause overweight or the diseases of civilization. It's also not enough to cause insulin resistance. I sent an e-mail to Dr. Lindeberg asking if his group had measured Kitavans' glucose tolerance. He told me they had not. However, I can only guess they had good glucose control since they suffered from none of the complications of unmanaged diabetes.

The rest can be read here:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.c...ping-it-up.html

amanda