Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 19:27

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Mintaka - I am so glad that you are doing so well. I do not have cancer but my 15 year old granddaughter was recently diagnosed with Ewings Sarcoma, an aggressive bone cancer. She is undergoing a brutal chemo regime, 5 days of in hospital chemo every 3 weeks for a year. Since I am her grandmother not her parent (she is my son's daughter) I don't get any say in her treatment. I would not suggest to her parents that she doesn't need chemo but I wish I could suggest to them that a low carb diet could be helpful. I have mentioned it but I have to tread very lightly. I wish I could do more. It's frustrating, to say the least.

Jean
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-17, 04:21

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh, Jean that is horrid news. I have never heard of it. Only 15. She has youth and vigor on her side. Her parents are probably beside themselves.
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-17, 13:50

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Another great talk on You Tube by Dr. Colin Champ at The IHMC...his second on Cancer and Nutrition. This one is titled:
Cancer Prevention Through Diet - Tangible Takeaways

https://youtu.be/EWt1HNudyKM

He starts by reviewing many of studies that drive common dietary cancer advice , e.g. High dietary fat increases breast cancer risk, and how they were wrong. Like the saturated fat studies and Taubes criticism of those epidemiological studies in light of the new AHA advisory, he shows where they went wrong. Trans fats and Omega -6 fats, especially when heated, are a problem; the saturated fats, can be a healthy part of an anti-cancer diet. The end of his talk are the "Tangible Takeways"...what should you eat? What does he eat? And not eat (fasting is a key component in the cancer diet world) For the possibility of cancer prevention?

I'm a big fan of Dr Champ. His first lecture at IHMC, Augmenting Cancer Therapy with Diet: Have We Found a Sweet Spot? and his recent STEM-talk interview are also good. https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalks/ Episode 18, The right Nutrition and Exercise can help treat cancer.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jun-20-17 at 11:13.
  #109   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-17, 10:50

There is so much going on with Cancer and the Ketogenic Diet, hardly know where to start when updating this thread.

The article that may have the most traction is a new one at DietDoctor.
Quote:
Can a Keto Diet Treat Brain Cancer?

Can a ketogenic diet help brain cancer patients like Senator John McCain? Emerging research — and some dramatic patient stories — suggest it might.

When news broke in mid July that US Senator John McCain had been diagnosed with an aggressive form of brain cancer, neuro-oncology researcher Dr. Adrienne C. Scheck, PhD, tried to get a message to the McCain family in Arizona. She posted on his daughter’s group Facebook page and linked to research she has conducted through her role as an associate professor of neurobiology at Barrow Neurological Institute, in Phoenix Arizona, where McCain lives.

Scheck’s message to McCain: Try the ketogenic diet along with the standard therapy of surgery, radiation and chemotherapy.

Over the last decade, Scheck has been studying the effect of altering cancer cell metabolism, specifically with the ketogenic diet, to improve survival and minimize side effects for patients with malignant brain tumours. On July 14, 2017, McCain received the diagnosis of glioblastoma multiforme (GBM), a notoriously deadly cancer that arises in the glia, the connective tissue of the brain. GBM has a grave prognosis, with an average survival time of 18 months from diagnosis. For McCain, a nine-hour surgery removed a large tumor above his left eye on the day his cancer was diagnosed. Then, in the first week of August, he started radiation and chemotherapy, according to media reports.1
The connection between keto and cancer

Says Scheck (pictured to the right): “Based on our research, I definitely think someone with a GBM should go on a therapeutic ketogenic diet as soon as possible, in addition to standard therapy. Our pre-clinical research suggests that it potentiates both radiation and chemotherapy, and can enhance the anti-tumour immune response. Even ketones alone can have this effect in cell culture. There is nothing to lose by trying it.”2

So far, Scheck has not heard from the McCain family, likely, she feels, because they are being inundated with all forms of advice and because many people, including physicians, wrongly lump the ketogenic diet in with “fad” diets that have no scientific basis. But Scheck stresses the ketogenic diet for cancer is no fad. “This is not a ‘diet’ in the typical sense of the word. It is a regimented metabolic therapy with quite a bit of peer-reviewed science behind,” she says.

In fact, Scheck not only has conducted a number of promising studies in mouse models of the disease, she is the principal investigator of a current clinical trial with GBM patients, using the ketogenic diet plus radiation and chemotherapy. The clinical trial has two goals: to show that patients can tolerate the diet and maintain low blood glucose and high blood ketone levels; and to see if patient survival is prolonged.3

Scheck’s study is one of 10 clinical trials registered at clinicaltrials.gov, now studying the role of the ketogenic diet in the treatment of glioblastoma, eight of which are still actively recruiting. The studies are being led by teams in three other US locations as well as China, Germany, and the UK.

Taking into account other types of cancer — including lung, breast, pancreatic, prostate and melanoma — a total of 23 clinical trials are currently registered at clinicaltrials.gov that are investigating the ketogenic diet as an adjunct to standard cancer therapy. Over the last decade, research investigating the ketogenic’s diet role in basic cancer research and in emerging therapies has burgeoned, with more than 170 studies or theoretical papers currently in the research literature. The number is increasing each month.

How carbs can fuel cancer

At the heart of argument for using the ketogenic diet to help combat cancer is the fact that cancers need glucose — a great deal of it — to fuel their rapid growth. In fact, that is precisely how a PET scan is used to diagnose cancer: an injection of radioactive sugar lights up the malignant cancer cells because they use glucose at a much higher rate than normal cells. Glutamine, which is an amino acid created from the breakdown of proteins, can also fuel cancer growth.4

Starving cancer cells of the glucose and glutamine they need to grow, and using ketones instead as fuel for our cells is the conceptual theory behind the ketogenic diet as an adjunct to cancer treatment. “Normal cells have the flexibility to switch to ketones for energy, cancer cells do not,” explains Dr. Thomas Seyfried, PhD, who is a professor of biology at Boston College (pictured to the right).

Seyfried is the author of the influential 2012 book Cancer as a Metabolic Disease. In that book, as well as in recent research papers, he sets out evidence that cancer is a disturbance of cellular energy metabolism, particularly linked to abnormalities in the structure and function of the mitochondria.5
In a 2015 paper, Seyfried and his colleagues specifically promote using metabolic cancer therapy —i.e the ketogenic diet — as a treatment for glioblastoma. “The goal is to restrict GBM cells of glucose, their main energy substrate,” says Seyfried. This chronic starvation of the fuel they need to grow, stresses and weakens the cancer cells, and if not killing them outright, makes them much more vulnerable to treatments such as radiation, chemotherapy drugs or hyperbaric oxygen. “It is like a one-two punch, stressing them with starvation by ketones, then hitting them while they are down,” said Seyfried.

This one-two punch concept —which Seyfried and his colleagues call “Press-Pulse” theory, was recently detailed in their February 2017 paper. The conceptual framework is to stress the cancer by starving it of glucose and suppressing insulin signaling (the press), then making a sudden strike with hyperbaric oxygen, metabolic-based drugs or milder doses of chemotherapeutic drugs and radiation (the pulse.)6
Professor D’Agostino’s lab

D'Agostino
“Denying cancer cells glucose is like taking the foot off the gas pedal,” explains co-author Dominic D’Agostino, an associate professor of molecular pharmacology and physiology at the University of South Florida and a research scientist at the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition. D’Agostino’s extensive research on the ketogenic diet has also been featured in several Diet Doctor videos (see right and below).

D’Agostino decade-long research has been focused on nutritional neuroscience — how the brain changes in response to dietary influences. He started by studying the ability of the ketogenic diet and ketone supplementation to help prevent seizures associated with central nervous system oxygen toxicity, a limitation of US Navy SEAL divers who use recircuit breathers.

Now his lab, specifically with research associate Dr. Angela Poff, is investigating the role of nutritional ketosis as an adjuvant in cancer therapy. Dr. Poff’s video about exploiting cancer metabolism using ketosis is a popular video on the Diet Doctor site.

D'Agostino
D’Agostino says their hypothesis is that glucose, insulin, and inflammation are all closely linked to cancer growth and to cancer treatment and prevention; they are tightly associated with the metabolic health of cells. “While the current dominant theory of cancer’s origins are that it arises through mutations in cellular DNA, the stability of DNA is strongly correlated to the functioning of the mitochondria and oxidative stress,”D’ Agostino says. “Nutritional ketosis with periodic fasting supports healthy mitochondrial functioning, autophagy (cellular recycling), suppression of oxidative stress, suppression of insulin signaling and reduction in specific pro-inflammatory pathways.”7
D’Agostino stresses that research on the ketogenic diet and cancer is still in its infancy. “We need more clinical data about how best to apply these concepts to the patient with GBM,” he cautions. “However, it is very reasonable for someone with a diagnosis of GBM —with an average 12-18 months to live — to implement a ketogenic diet (with a qualified nutritionist) to their standard therapy.”

Stories of controlling brain cancer with keto

Pablo Kelly, 28, from Devon, UK (pictured to the right), couldn’t agree more. He was diagnosed with GBM in 2014 and credits the ketogenic diet with saving his life. “My GBM was declared inoperable because of its location in my brain, in the parietal lobe, with a tendril going into my motor cortex,” said Kelly, who soon after the diagnosis began a restricted calorie ketogenic diet.

He credits his three years of strict keto eating, as well as supplementing with exogenous ketones, MCT oil and anti-inflammatory supplements, with shrinking his tumour enough so that 90 % could be removed by an awake craniotomy earlier this year. A MRI scan in May shows the cancer has not grown, says Kelly, who connects with people through his open Facebook page, Pablos Journey Through a Brain Tumour, and through media stories, which have been shared by thousands. “Three years ago I had to search really hard to find people who were doing ketogenic for GBM,” says Kelly who these days is regularly contacted by people around the world hoping for more information and help to try keto for their brain tumor. “I want to inspire as many people as possible.”8

Canadian teenager Adam Sorenson’s (pictured to the right together with his father Brad)9 journey with GBM and the ketogenic diet is another inspiring anecdotal story. He was diagnosed with Stage IV GBM in September 2013, the day after his 13th birthday. The tumor was the size of a baseball and uniformly fatal.10

Doctors performed surgery to remove as much as possible, but his father, Brad, did extensive research to try to improve his son’s odds for survival. “The overriding rules I set was that it had to be safe, it had to have at least some clinical trial data published, and it had to be accessible.” His parents also consulted with Dr. Jong Rho, an expert in the ketogenic diet for epilepsy, and a former mentor of Dr. Scheck at the Barrow Neurological Institute who had been recruited to the Alberta Children’s Hospital to the Hotchkiss Brain Institute at the University of Calgary.11 The Sorensons also consulted with Drs. Seyfried, D’Agostino and Scheck.

They came up with a protocol that included a ketogenic diet consisting of 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbohydrates combined with radiation treatment, hyperbaric oxygen, and the drug metformin. Four months after starting the treatment, Adam had an MRI scan in February of 2014 that showed no visible tumor. Thirteen subsequent MRIs to this day have remained clear of cancer. Adam has remained on the ketogenic diet and metformin ever since. “It is basically really low carbs with lots of whipping cream, eggs, pork, nuts and seeds,” says his dad.

In a compelling video, Adam says the diet is not always easy as a teenager, especially when out with friends. “When I realized I was not going to be able to eat some of my favourite foods like pizza and candy, I was a little sad. But I thought, it’s going to help me live.”

Adam was a keynote speaker last November at the Global Symposium on Ketogenic Therapies, held in Banff Alberta and sponsored by the Charlie Foundation for Ketogenic Therapies. The foundation began as an organization focused on ketogenic diet for epilepsy control, but has now branched into its use in brain cancer, autism and other cognitive disorders.

When asked what he would say to families dealing with GBM, Brad Sorenson said, “I am really hesitant to act as the role of a doctor. I am concerned that I could add to a stressful situation. I don’t want to give them false hope.”

Sorenson, who is the CEO and founder of two biotechnology companies notes however, that the keto diet seems to be most effective when started before radiation and that steroids, which are almost uniformly given to brain cancer patients, can interfere with effective ketosis. “Adam’s protocol invites a lot of pushback from doctors.” So Sorenson simply tells people what they did for Adam, shares a slide deck with their protocol and its rationale with references, and encourages them to find a qualified dietitian.

“I do not believe the diet alone is a game changer but I do believe it helps improve the potency and efficacy of other cancer treatments,” says Brad. “I am very aware that Adam’s story is anecdotal. But I am totally confident that if we had gone with the standard of care, Adam would not be alive today.”

Anne Mullens

If interested in this topic, you might read it on the DD website so you can open the references to studies. This article is also followed by the videos the website already has on Cancer.

Dr. Jason Fung has a new post on Obesity and Cancer, first part of series.
https://intensivedietarymanagement....ancer-cancer-1/

The Single Cause, Single Cure foundation mentioned on this and another thread has changed name. http://www.foundationformetaboliccancertherapies.com

Quote:
We have decided to change the name of our foundation from The Single Cause Single Cure Foundation, to The Foundation for Metabolic Cancer Therapies. We think this name better reflects our ethos. It was pointed out that perhaps Single Cause Single Cure could be interpreted as encouraging patients to seek a single cure. That is not the case. Research has clearly shown that combinations of metabolic acting therapies are synergistic, and have outcomes that far exceed any single agent. We have granted research awarded to investigate synergist “cocktails” of metabolic therapies. The preclinical work is very encouraging. Our goal is to empower patients with these largely non-toxic therapies that may greatly enhance standard of care.

The new second edition of Tripping Over the Truth seems to be picking up steam, 308 five star reviews.

There was a negative Systematic review: isocaloric ketogenic dietary regimes for cancer patients. recently published in Medical Oncology.

Quote:
Abstract
The efficacy and benefits of ketogenic diets (KD) have recently been gaining worldwide and remain a controversial topic in oncology. This systematic review therefore presents and evaluates the clinical evidence on isocaloric KD dietary regimes and reveals that evidence supporting the effects of isocaloric ketogenic dietary regimes on tumor development and progression as well as reduction in side effects of cancer therapy is missing. Furthermore, an array of potential side effects should be carefully considered before applying KD to cancer patients. In regard to counseling cancer patients considering a KD, more robust and consistent clinical evidence is necessary before the KD can be recommended for any single cancer diagnosis or as an adjunct therapy. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28353094

....but that has brought forth comments with lists of studies that DO show benefit. Here's one from Hungary.

Comment on “Systematic Review: Isocaloric Ketogenic Dietary Regimes for Cancer Patients” by Erickson et al
Csaba Tóth, Andrea Dabóczi, Madhvi Chanrai, Zsófia Clemens
http://pubs.sciepub.com/jcrt/5/3/2/#Cor

and Beneficial effects of ketogenic diets for cancer patients: a realist review with focus on evidence and confirmation.

Klement RJ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28653283

Quote:
Abstract
Ketogenic diets (KDs) have gained popularity among patients and researchers alike due to their putative anti-tumor mechanisms. However, the question remains which conclusions can be drawn from the available human data thus far concerning the safety and efficacy of KDs for cancer patients. A realist review utilizing a matrix analytical approach was conducted according to the RAMESES publication standards. All available human studies were systematically analyzed and supplemented with results from animal studies. Evidence and confirmation were treated as separate concepts. In total, 29 animal and 24 human studies were included in the analysis. The majority of animal studies (72%) yielded evidence for an anti-tumor effect of KDs. Evidential support for such effects in humans was weak and limited to individual cases, but a probabilistic argument shows that the available data strengthen the belief in the anti-tumor effect hypothesis at least for some individuals. Evidence for pro-tumor effects was lacking completely. Feasibility of KDs for cancer patients has been shown in various contexts. The probability of achieving an anti-tumor effect seems greater than that of causing serious side effects when offering KDs to cancer patients. Future controlled trials would provide stronger evidence for or against the anti-tumor effect hypothesis.

Dr. Nasha Winters has done quite a few interviews/podcasts, but not all with the usual LC podcasters. Check Resources/Media on her website.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-16-17 at 16:16.
  #110   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-17, 09:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
"But I am totally confident that if we had gone with the standard of care, Adam would not be alive today.”

I am sure he is right. They were offered no hope. It's not a miracle; it's science.

Which means it is accessible to everyone.
  #111   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-17, 08:31

Dr Fung, in a few weeks, is up to Part 5 of his new Cancer series, and only at the point of reviewing the Proximate and Ultimate Causes of genetic mutations that lead to Cancer. Same arguments he used when explaining obesity or the failure of CICO. He is a kidney specialist, but maybe his style of writing from outside the oncology world is what is needed. His Fasting series went to 29 parts, who knows where this will end up. https://idmprogram.com/cancer-proxi...auses-cancer-5/
  #112   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 03:57

I cannot find a thread on the recent study out of Belgium on the relationship between sugar and cancer...it was everywhere.

CNN took the ball ran with it further today with this article:

Is there a link between Sugar and Cancer?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/27/healt...tudy/index.html

The original study announcement was: Scientists reveal the relationship between sugar and cancer.

http://www.vib.be/en/news/Pages/Sci...m4Z7iw.facebook

Press covered it everywhere.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...71013103623.htm
http://www.newsweek.com/cancer-eats...gressive-686726
https://genengnews.com/gen-news-hig...learer/81255056
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-say/775963001/
http://www.businessinsider.com/canc...-effect-2017-10

A nutrition blogger wrote this thought experiment on it:
Sugar and Cancer: Connecting the Dots.

https://unlearn-rethink.com/2017/10...B%BFf%EF%BB%BF/

And Dr Fung continues his cancer series, now at Part 6. Considering it is only at how Research has taken a wrong turn trying to make the somatic mutation theory fit in light of the results of the Human Genome project, there is a long road ahead. Terrific
https://www.dietdoctor.com/procrust...andom-mutations

And if have an interest in using Keto while in active Cancer Treatmant, cannot recommend highly enough Miriam Kalamian’s new print book, Keto for Cancer.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478439

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Oct-27-17 at 04:28.
  #113   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-17, 02:44

Op-Ed in the LA Times by Sam Apple, who is working on a book about Cancer Metabolism. Oct 27, 2017

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...1027-story.html

Quote:
Op-Ed It's getting clearer — the diet-cancer connection points to sugar and carbs

In August of 2016, the New England Journal of Medicine published a striking report on cancer and body fat: Thirteen separate cancers can now be linked to being overweight or obese, among them a number of the most common and deadly cancers of all — colon, thyroid, ovarian, uterine, pancreatic and (in postmenopausal women) breast cancer.

Earlier this month, a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention added more detail: Approximately 631,000 Americans were diagnosed with a body fat-related cancer in 2014, accounting for 40% of all cancers diagnosed that year.

Increasingly, it seems not only that we are losing the war on cancer, but that we are losing it to what we eat and drink.

These new findings, while important, only tell us so much. The studies reflect whether someone is overweight upon being diagnosed with cancer, but they don’t show that the excess weight is responsible for the cancer. They are best understood as a warning sign that something about what or how much we eat is intimately linked to cancer. But what?

When insulin rises to abnormally high levels and remains elevated, it can promote the growth of tumors directly and indirectly.
The possibility that much of our cancer burden can be traced to diet isn’t a new idea. In 1937, Frederick Hoffman, an actuary for the Prudential Life Insurance Co., devoted more than 700 pages to a review of all the medical thinking on the topic at the time. But with little in the way of evidence, Hoffman could only guess at which of the many theories might be correct. If we’ve made little progress since then in pinpointing specific foods that cause cancer, it’s in large part because nutrition studies aren’t well-suited to cracking the problem.

A cancer typically arises over years, or decades, making the type of study that might definitively establish cause and effect — an experiment in which people are randomly assigned to different diets — nearly impossible to carry out. The next-best option — observational studies that track what a specific group of individuals eats and which members of the group are later diagnosed with cancer — tends to generate as much confusion as knowledge. One day we read that a study has linked eating meat to cancer; a month later, a new headline declares the exact opposite.

And yet researchers have made progress in understanding the diet-cancer connection. The advances have emerged in the somewhat esoteric field of cancer metabolism, which investigates how cancer cells turn the nutrients we consume into fuel and building blocks for new cancer cells.

Largely ignored in the last decades of the 20th century, cancer metabolism has undergone a revival as researchers have come to appreciate that some of the most well-known cancer-causing genes, long feared for their role in allowing cancer cells to proliferate without restraint, have another, arguably even more fundamental role: allowing cancer cells to “eat” without restraint. This research may yield a blockbuster cancer treatment, but in the meantime it can provide us with something just as crucial — knowledge about how to prevent the disease in the first place.

Lewis Cantley, the director of the cancer center at Weill Cornell Medicine, has been at the forefront of the cancer metabolism revival. Cantley’s best explanation for the obesity-cancer connection is that both conditions are also linked to elevated levels of the hormone insulin. His research has revealed how insulin drives cells to grow and take up glucose (blood sugar) by activating a series of genes, a pathway that has been implicated in most human cancers.

The problem isn’t the presence of insulin in our blood. We all need insulin to live. But when insulin rises to abnormally high levels and remains elevated (a condition known as insulin resistance, common in obesity), it can promote the growth of tumors directly and indirectly. Too much insulin and many of our tissues are bombarded with more growth signals and more fuel than they would ever see under normal metabolic conditions. And because elevated insulin directs our bodies to store fat, it can also be linked to the various ways the fat tissue itself is thought to contribute to cancer.

Having recognized the risks of excess insulin-signaling, Cantley and other metabolism researchers are following the science to its logical conclusion: The danger may not be simply eating too much, as is commonly thought, but rather eating too much of the specific foods most likely to lead to elevated insulin levels — easily digestible carbohydrates in general, and sugar in particular.

This is not to say that all cancers are caused by too much insulin or that we should never eat sugar again. Michael Pollak, a metabolism researcher and director of cancer prevention at McGill University in Canada, says that the best approach to sugar is to think of it like a spice — something to occasionally sprinkle on foods, as opposed to an ingredient in nearly every meal and too many drinks.

Nutrition is an inherently messy science. But recent advances in cancer metabolism research are sending us an increasingly clear message about our diet. Winning the war on cancer may depend upon whether we’re ready to hear it.

Sam Apple teaches science journalism at the University of Pennsylvania. He is working on a book about cancer metabolism. ~samuelapple

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Oct-29-17 at 06:43.
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-17, 05:36

Adding this short article about a recent study, mainly because of title in the NYT with photo. Readers may actually notice it

Quote:
Two Hidden Cancer Causes: Obesity and Diabetes

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/04/...ner=rss&emc=rss

The study was published end November in the Lancet, I thought the numbers underestimated, but the NYT gives it weight. http://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...0366-2/fulltext

At least the number for "Lifestyle" which includes smoking and Diet, has long been estimated much higher.

Study in Nature Dec 2015. Substantial contribution (70-90%) of lifestyle factors to cancer risk. It is not just bad luck. http://www.nature.com/news/cancer-s...ignancy-1.19026

In 1981, Doll and Peto concluded that 75-80% of cancers in the US may be avoidable with lifestyle and diet changes. This March 2015 study confirms their estimate still holds true 35 years later. Cancer link offers further reason to avoid highly processed carbs. 11 cancers associated with obesity, study March 2017. http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsande...3-2017-10-31-54

DietDoctor was posting this article the same time I was adding to this thread.
We must read the same RSS feeds.
More here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/type-2-d...sed-risk-cancer

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Dec-05-17 at 05:53.
  #115   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-17, 08:10

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
The original work, Hannun and his colleagues argue, assumed that the two variables — intrinsic stem-cell division rates and extrinsic factors — were entirely independent. But what if environmental exposures affect stem-cell division rates, as radiation is known to do?

This in the nature article brings up something else, environment exposures that can affect stem-cell quality, Valter Longo's fasting and fasting-mimicking studies come to mind.

Extrinsic vs. intrinsic. With schizophrenia, it's debated, but twin studies show if a twin is schizophrenic, there's a fifty percent chance their twin will also be schizophrenic. So, how do you look at that? Genetics only gives a person a fifty percent chance of schizophrenia? So, lots of room for environment. Looked at another way, schizophrenia in the general population is only around 1 percent, so if your twin is schizophrenic, you're 50 times as likely to develop the disease. Environment can pull the trigger, but first somebody has to set up the dominoes.

Suppose a family was 100 percent celiac, everybody got in trouble if they consumed wheat. Genetics explains everything. Those unexposed to wheat or related foods have no trouble. Environment explains everything. The answer to nature vs. environment here is "no," it's not nature or environment, it's nature and environment.
  #116   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-17, 03:59

Longo has a new book coming out for a general audience, appears it is suggesting the Fasting Mimicking Diet four times a year, which of course his company can provide.

The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight

https://www.amazon.com/Longevity-Di...n/dp/0525534075
  #117   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-17, 19:01

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

The link to dietdoctor article had his own link to this French news site written in English.

What I found Interesting is that the French eat three times the amount of butter than we do in the US!
Why does butter make French people happy?
https://www.thelocal.fr/20171115/bu...-love-of-beurre

Last edited by Meme#1 : Wed, Dec-06-17 at 19:10.
  #118   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 06:59

Dr. Colin Champ updates his two most important articles for 2018.

http://colinchamp.com/the-ketogenic...-stand-in-2018/

The Ketogenic Diet and Cancer: They Myths and Where We Stand in 2018

Quote:
I wrote my first blog post on the ketogenic diet and cancer just over five years ago: A Ketogenic Diet for Cancer followed by another article four years ago, The Ketogenic Diet and Cancer: Where We Stand. I have been meaning to update this for the past two years, but then life got in the way. I finally sat down to complete my views (for what they are worth), on the current state of the ketogenic diet and cancer.

The Top Ketogenic Diet and Cancer Myths:
Myth 1: A Ketogenic Diet Fights Cancer by Itself
There is absolutely no data to support that a ketogenic diet, by itself, fights or manages cancer. In fact, when we assessed all animal studies with Rainer Klement at the helm, the diet provided some synergistic effects with treatments, including current treatment like radiation therapy and chemotherapy. When the animals already had cancer, the diet in itself did little to stop growth.1 In animals that did not have cancer, the diet appeared to be protective. Many people are using the term “manage” to describe the effect. There is not data to support this, and the definition of manage seems to vary based on who is using it.

continues

Embedded video, graphs, etc.
  #119   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 04:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Longo has a new book coming out for a general audience, appears it is suggesting the Fasting Mimicking Diet four times a year, which of course his company can provide.

The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight

https://www.amazon.com/Longevity-Di...n/dp/0525534075

I must quote Dr. Fung: "Why make a big deal about how to fast? You just DON'T EAT."
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 07:27

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think how to fast is a good question. Longo might have gone with his fasting mimicking diet because he didn't think people would comply with total fasting, and their doctors wouldn't support them in it, which increases the risks. But the question of where the therapeutic effects of fasting start is a genuine one for science. I often see a day of fasting on water given as preferable to one with beef broth, or one where somebody's taken in 500 calories. Is it? It might seem prudent to assume that that's so, but for all we know, some small calorie intake might not only not ruin the therapeutic effect, it might make things better.

I just feel like there's a risk of jaundicing people against effective interventions that they're actually willing to do, and have easier access to medical support for, in defense of fasting purity. Some of the arguments for making a fast pure water don't really hold up to scrutiny. I've seen Dr. Fung talk about the micrograms of protein in a cup of coffee as preventing autophagy, a claim that astonishes me with how poorly founded it is. Maybe in cells isolated in a petri dish, but you'll have way more of your own proteins in your digestive tract being autodigested in the normal course of events than you'll ever get from that cup of coffee.