Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-13, 18:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178.8/171.2/135 Female 65 inc
BF:
Progress:
Default new here after total thyroidectomy...

I had my left lobe removed in november 2012. Came back positive with thyroid cancer.had remaining side remived in feb 2013. My levels are not regulated yet. Have had alread 3 med admustments and goung for blood work next week. I know it will need to be upped again. I am so very tired all the time, I am moody, my memory sucks!!! And I am of course gaining weight no matter what I do. I feel terrible and I tired of just making it through my days.

Does anyone have a diet plan that they felt works? I did Atkins and after 3 week of only losing 4 lbs and feeling absolutly terrible I quit that. I am trying to stay after from sugar for the most part and I am fine with cutting down on carbs but I find I feel the best having a certian amount of carbs. I was going to the gym but lately I am jyst too tired to get myself to get there. Any suggestions would be wonderful!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-13, 20:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, there's no substitute for proper thyroid treatment. No diet can take the place of thyroid hormones. http://stopthethyroidmadness.com is a great website with lots of info.

I'm so sorry about the cancer. It might not work for all forms of cancer, but there is a low carb ketogenic diet that is becoming popular.

Seyfried, Thomas N. Cancer as a Metabolic Disease -- he advocates starting with a fast, which might be a little brutal.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cantin-Ke...s/dp/1477567593 -- I'm not sure what she's about, but I"ve heard a little about this diet.

Anyway, those are two options if you want to possible combine dieting with anti-cancer therapy.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-13, 19:01

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Unfortunately this forum doesn't get a lot of traffic. However, there are many people who frequent the main boards who are very knowledgeable about thyroid issues.

I highly recommend the Stop the Thyroid Madness website that Nancy shared above. It has been a HUGE help to me as I have tried to heal. The website is a little disjointed and daunting, but it's worth the hunt.

I had my thyroid removed Sept. 2012. I was fortunate that I was able to lose to goal on Atkins even before being diagnosed. I did do the <entire> diet, climbing the carb ladder and all. I have read many sources that say that people with thyroid problems should be having at least 50 carbs per day. I seem to do well at a higher carb level.

I am taking NP Thyroid, which is a natural dessicated thyroid as recommended on the above website. I am also taking a slew of vitamins and minerals. It took me a couple of months to get things optimized, but I finally feel better than I have in several years.

I hope you are able to get things figured out and find what works for you. It's no fun to be in bad health.