Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 09:39
Beautiful Disaster

Plan: tbl/common sense
Stats: 380/341/299 Female 6'0"
BF:so i've been told
Progress: 48%
Talking ahoy :D

meep.

i've never been very good at introducing myself, so i guess i'll get right to the point.

i'm fat.

yep, that's right! i'm fat and i don't like it anymore.

well, no, i never liked it, but i was used to it. it was comforting to know that people weren't ever going to try to get too close to me. defense mechanisms and all, y'know?

not only am i fat, but i'm also tall for a female. a solid 6' even. i'll never fall under the 120lb mark. right now i'd be happy to be under the 220lb mark

i don't have a scale at my place (which i'll be remedying this weekend), but last i checked i was about 327lbs. i'd like to get down to about 165.

i'm not going to be one of those people who lie and say they've tried every diet in the book and just can't lose weight. i have, and i did lose weight - i just suck at keeping it off. i never got down to under 250 but i've lost hefty chunks of weight...infact, if i were writing this a year ago, i'd be saying i was about 400lbs and not 327..so i have already lost a small teenager's weight worth of fat, but i'm not done yet.

i have medical weight problems that i only found out about 9 months ago. yes, i do like my cookies, but i don't like them that much. i found out I have PCOS - for all you curious -- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome - it caused my hormones & metobalism to be out of whack. at least now that i know how to treat it i can work on losing all the weight.

i turned down gastric bypass, as i don't feel comfortable going under the knife for my own mistakes, and i'd like to give this a REAL effort before i do so, so..for myself and my fiancè (who's got about 70lbs he wants to drop), this is where we're starting.

I wanted to go on Weight Watchers .. but i'm not comfortable enough to go sit in a group of people and listen to them talk about the benifits of spinach..heh :b

i'm joining this community because here, one can be honest. we're not sitting next to that girl who's only 22lbs overweight and trying to convince her that we only want to lose 40lbs. "no, really, i'm only 180lbs..i swear, that's all bloating".

i feel that in this environment, i can be a bit more open, get a bit more support, and not have to look at all those beady eyes if i slip once or twice

anyway, it's nice to be here, i'm glad there's so many other people in the same boat i am.

i'll be hitting up the tdc here in a few just to say a brief hello, and then onwards to the journal section.

..and as i sit here, my co-workers are pigging out on fudge cookies. pft, i have cheese

.muse.

Last edited by .muse. : Fri, Feb-24-06 at 17:14. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 10:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/153/135 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 47%

Welcome to the site! We are glad you are here.
You seem to know what you want and how to get there. AND you have the benefit of a loved one to join you.
The members will offer plenty of support and advice, just browse around or ask.

#3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 17:13
Beautiful Disaster

Thanks, Lazydaisy.

The loved one is definately going to be a great addition to my weight loss, and vica verca

Now, off to buy that scale!

Last edited by .muse. : Fri, Feb-24-06 at 17:13. Reason: typo
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 17:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

You have a great attitude muse! While you are out getting the scale, make sure to pick up all the Induction safe foods you need.

Take care, Julie
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 19:37
Beautiful Disaster

Thanks, and we did. I don't recall Atkins being as expensive as it was this time around, though. I figure with the two of us doing it the right way we're gonna spend about 400$ a month on this diet, give or take.

Anyone have any hints? :x
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 04:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/217/140 Female 5ft. 5in.
BF:
Progress: 26%

Welcome to the boards!! Regretfully buying whole natural foods is more expensive than carb loaded processed crap. Let's face it pasta, breads, and sugar loaded stuff are much cheaper than fresh vegetables, fruits, and meat. But the added expense is definately worth being healthier. One thing that might work out as a money saver is to buy the family packs of meat, and split them into smaller portions and freeze them. Also I look for reduced priced meats, and freeze them right away. When I am ready to take them out I cook them that night. Big savings and the meat is just as good. Once the weather is nice again, find a farmers market, the produce there is usually nicer than the store and cheaper. Hope that helps.

Again welcome and good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 07:56
Beautiful Disaster

I don't think I've ever seen a farmers market out here in Florida, to be truthful. I think Dan & I are going to look into a costco membership, because I know things are a LOT cheaper there

.muse.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 10:32
Registered Member

Plan: The GI Diet
Stats: 297/260/155 Female 69 inches
BF:
Default Welcome!

Welcome to the board .muse.! I agree with the others, you've got a great attitude and we'll all help each other to succeed with the requisite kick in the toosh every now and again

I too was recently diagnosed with PCOS and it's amazing how even a small drop in weight affects the symptoms. There is a great forum here for PCOS as well as the TDC, lots of great information. (I've been perusing both!)

I couldn't do the weight watchers thing either, the meetings would have been a little much for me. And you're chuckle for the day? I'm not sure what it's like in Florida, but around here, the WW planners seem a little sadistic ... all of the meeting places I've seen are beside either fast food places or ice cream parlours!

Keep in touch!

p.s. Love the 'cute but psycho' avatar!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 11:15
Beautiful Disaster

i so know what you mean about the sadists. there's 2 weight watchers places out here. one is right by an all you can eat chinese buffet, and the other is next to mcdonalds on one side and dairy queen on the other.

i remember one time i was at a meeting and there was 2 french fries dropped by the door on your way in and i swear every single woman who walked by it looked like she wanted to bend down and eat it. haha..

as for the PCOS thing, i had no IDEA that so many people who had PCOS were overweight. I'm sure there's got to be some corrolation between the two. I didn't know there was a PCOS board so I'm going to definately check that out .. one board to support two of my demons, woot

As for the avatar..if you had any idea how true it was

.muse.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 21:07
Registered Member

BF:

haha Glad to hear it's not just the Canadian WW planners that are cruel. (Maybe it's part of their marketing strategy to make you feel so guilty while enjoying one of those 'naughty' treats? Either that or a testament to superhuman willpower!)

There is definitely a link between PCOS and obesity, although not everyone with PCOS is overweight. I'll try and dig up an article I had on it and post it for you.

Your posting great progress so far! Keep it up.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 07:58
Registered Member

BF:

Here is the article I mentioned in my previous post:

http://www.obgyn.net/pcos/articles/whatispcos.htm