Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 18:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/193/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%
Exclamation Watch Out For Stuffed Seafood!!!

I just got burned on a road trip over the Labor Day weekend. I found myself in a seafood restaurant where the only thing I could afford in both price and carbs (or so I thought) was a stuffed seafood platter:

1/2 lobster stuffed
4 stuffed shrimp
1 stuffed clam
broccoli
small salad

I intially figured this meal at around 12-15 carb grams (OK for me, I am on OWL) but I didn't really know what was in the stuffing - I assumed mostly crabmeat. It must have been really bread heavy or there was sugar somewhere because two days later I had gained ONE POUND. The rest of the day was 12 grams. No other meal I had could have caused this. It was a delicious, wonderful, meal of course - but I paid the price. Please be careful in restaurants, there is really no margin for error. My total for the day must have been well over 30.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 18:27

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

If a restaurant meal says "stuffed with crab", ASK if it is REALLY crabmeat or that "imitation crab" or sealegs stuff. It can be shaped into sticks, legs, cakes, and other shapes. Or ground up again and used for stuffing because it is MUCH cheaper than real crab meat.

The imitation is made from a small fish called pollock - caught off Alaska among other places. After being ground, it is flavoured by the addition of a broth. The broth is made by boiling crab SHELLS to extract the flavour and adding SUGAR & some other stuff like wheat. Then they add red colouring which may also contain sugar. It is very high carb for its size.

You're right - diner beware! At least now you know a question to ask first.
That pound will soon be gone.

#3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 18:53
Registered Member

Stats: 210/193/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Good grief! Thanks for that Tofi, that sure sounds like the culprit. We gotta watch out for any 'imitation' food I guess...

JeffE
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 180/154/140
BF:
Progress: 65%
Arrow Bread

I also wonder if some stuffings, including seafood, might also have bread crumbs or cracker crumbs. Not sure if a restaurant would use those items, but I know I did when making salmon cakes at home.

I'd imagine one could find fillers (like bready type stuff) in all kinds of foods at restaurants.

Ginger in MD
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 15:00

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Jeff,

The old saying, "buyer beware" has new meaning, doesn't it? Thanks for the warning. If we decide to cheat, that's one thing, but it's really annoying when you cheat without know it.

You might be interested in this site....
http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html

It's a list of several restaurants with a breakdown of their menus. Not all show carbs (the list was originally intended for WW--poor fools), but its gradually being updated.

judy