Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#331   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-17, 18:30

Plan: induction/lowcarb
Stats: 182/182/155 Female 5foot 3 inch
BF:
Progress:

Glad I read this thread I was craving salt like crazy and actually pourd some in my hand at work and licked it ) several times)

I felt so weird and guilty lol
Sponsored Links
  #332   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-17, 19:30

Plan: Atkinds
Stats: 230/218/195 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug73
Glad I read this thread I was craving salt like crazy and actually pourd some in my hand at work and licked it ) several times)

I felt so weird and guilty lol

I've done the "salt on hand lick also."

It works and it's quick.
  #333   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 10:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A new book All about Salt being frequently recommended in the LC Twitter world.

The Salt Fix: Why the Experts Got It All Wrong--and How Eating More Might Save Your Life

by Dr. James J. DiNicolantonio, Pharm. D. A respected cardiovascular research scientist, doctor of pharmacy at Saint Luke's Mid America Heart Institute in Kansas City, Missouri, and the associate editor of British Medical Journal's (BMJ) Open Heart. He is the author or coauthor of approximately 200 publications in medical literature.

https://www.amazon.com/Salt-Fix-Exp...g/dp/0451496965

Heard a good interview with him on 2 Keto Dudes podcast, especially good since their focus is the salt needed on with LC/ketogenic diet. Also had much other fascinating info on salt, iodine, electrolytes, potassium, salt reduction impact on insulin, blood pressure, recommended salt for minerals (Redmond Real Salt) etc. A good wide ranging interview with author that seem to highlight much from the book.

http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=71

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jun-21-17 at 04:06.
  #334   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 02:52

25 minute interview with Dr. DiNicolantonio:
Should You Eat MORE Salt?
https://www.dietdoctor.com/should-you-eat-more-salt
  #335   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 11:44

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

That was an interesting interview/presentation - thank Jey
  #336   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 14:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Ordered the Kindle edition today. I am impressed with the depth of information on salt as an essential ingredient and its role in health.
  #337   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-17, 08:04

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Thanks, Janet, for those links.

One of the Ketodudes recommends taking a 1/4 tsp of salt under your tongue, letting it dissolve, then chasing with water (he credits Megan Ramos of Dr Fung's office for the original idea). He claims it helps when fasting if you start feeling weak, and also to squelch hunger when fasting. I tried it yesterday some time between lunch and dinner (I was not fasting but getting back to serious LC after a couple of relaxed weeks in Europe) and it really helped. After taking the salt, I never noticed any hunger; before I knew it, it was time to cook dinner.

On one of the 2 podcasts above, Dr N suggests that sometimes we overeat to get enough salt in our daily diet. It makes me think salt is what makes nuts so irresistible for some of us. I'm going to try skipping the nuts and going directly for salt when I get those late afternoon munchies.
  #338   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 02:21

Thanks for putting that tip here, Liz. I was either driving or walking when I heard that, and of course, totally forgot by the time home. Will try it! Amazon delivered the Redmond Salt yesterday. Good point about the nuts, unsalted nuts or almond butter are no fun at all. One tip to control the amount of nuts is to buy the raw unsalted varieties, but then, why bother
  #339   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 05:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I bought a big bag of the pink Himalayan salt, and I'll grind it into a little pile on my palm and chase it with water. Now I'll do it more!
  #340   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 07:01

Definitely use the fine salt. A 1/4 tsp of coarse takes a long time to dissolve under tongue..ask me how I know
  #341   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 07:37

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I use a mixture of sea salt and sea vegetables:

http://www.seaveg.com/shop/index.ph...&products_id=98

This way I also get iodine. My bone broth is also liberally seasoned with himalayan salt and sea weed flakes.

http://www.seaveg.com/shop/index.ph...products_id=100

I never fell for the low salt advice.

Jean
  #342   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 09:01

I just ordered the Redmond Sea Salt as well, though it will not be here for 10 days or so. Till then I'll finish up my Himalayan pink and Polish grey (from a mine near Krakow).

Jean, does the sea salt + sea vegetables taste overtly like seaweed?

I've never bought into the low salt thing for me, but cringed when I saw my (late) mother, with long term hypertension, adding salt to her food. I now know that salt did not cause her high blood pressure, and perhaps made it no worse. I have never much salted food when cooking, and it always tasted fine to me. Since going low carb, I have learned to love a burst of salt sprinkled directly on cooked vegetables and eggs. And I find that deliberately eating salt increases my sense of well-being.

Rob, I'd love to hear what you think of The Salt Fix.
  #343   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 09:21

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Liz - I don't find the taste of the salt/seaweed combo to have a really strong seaweed taste.

Jean
  #344   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 17:54

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Why are people putting it on their tongue instead of in water? I tried a fourth tsp of ground Him pink salt like that and I thought it was awful.

I'm going to buy this book after reading all the available pages on Amazon. I generally feel pretty crappy when I fast from not putting enough salt in my bone broth, I suspect. And interestingly, I have been on a real cottage cheese kick for my main meal, which just happens to have 1000 mg per cup.

I typed this out from the excerpts:

Quote:
"Scientists have found that, among all populations when people are left to unrestricted sodium consumption, they tend to settle in at 3, 000 to 4,000 milligrams per day. This amount holds true for people in all hemispheres, all climates, all range of cultures and social backgrounds--when permitted free access to salt, all humans gravitate to the same threshold of salt consumption, a threshold we now know is the sodium-intake range for optimum health. ...

Heart rate is proven to increase on a low salt diet. ...And what has a bigger impact on your health: a one-point reduction in blood pressure, or a four-beat-per-minute increase in heart rate?...

Recent research even suggests that chronic salt depletion may be a factor in what endocrinologists term "internal starvation." When you start restricting your salt intake, the body starts to panic. One of the body's defense mechanisms is to increase insulin levels, because insulin helps the kidneys retain more sodium. Unfortunately, high insulin levels also "lock" energy into your fat cells, so that you have trouble breaking down stored fat into fatty acids or stored protein into amino acids for energy. When your insulin levels are elevated, the only macronutrient that you can effectively utilize for energy is carbohydrate.

See where this is headed?

You start craving sugar and refined carbs like crazy, because your body believes that carbohydrate is your only viable energy source. ...

What's clear is that we have been focusing on the wrong white crystal all along. ...

From an evolutionary standpoint, evidence does not suggest that we evolved on a low salt diet."

Besides all the animal parts that have salt that would have been eaten in the ancestral diet,

Tiger nuts: 3,383 mg of sodium in 100 grams.

Grasshoppers: 152 mg of sodium per 5 crickets.

I bought tiger nut flour to make dough balls, but never did. I'm feeling a bit more motivated now.
  #345   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
Why are people putting it on their tongue instead of in water? I tried a fourth tsp of ground Him pink salt like that and I thought it was awful.

I'm pretty sure the Ketodude said NOT to dissolve it in water, but of course I can't remember WHY. For me the salt on my tongue and a water chaser tastes good. Does salt in water taste good to you?

Dr N does say that if you have sufficient sodium, eating more of it won't taste good. If you are eating so much cottage cheese, perhaps you are in good sodium balance?

I'll look for the salt + seaweed, Jean. It sounds like an interesting change.