Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-21, 13:34

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Liverwurst???

This might be moved to another location, but here goes.

I need suggestions for eating liverwurst when you don't like liver. At all. Fry it in butter? Make a pate (but then what do you eat it on)? Other ideas???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-21, 15:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Well, here is a couple suggestions. Just note that I can tolerate liver. Used to really like it, but not so much anymore. I do cook it regularly for my dog. And force myself to eat it. Two serving a week is s goal, lol.

Liverwurst slice topped with sliced onions. Used to eat as a sandwich between two pcs of white bread. Should be tasty even without bread. Onions can be tamed by soaking in water for a few minutes and drained before topping the slice of wurst.

Brands taste different. One might appeal more than another.

Another option is not a wurst but fresh or frozen liver. Beef or chicken. Saute with bacon. And onions. Get the onions browned. Add salt, pepper to taste. ( Again, flavor and textures vary by source. Some are firm, some mushy. Chicken livers are different flavor than beef liver.)

In the past, I've consumed the whole roll of wurst, slice by slice. Too busy to add onions.

Check the ingredients as content varies, including sugar.

Many recipes 😋 online to make your own wurst, too. Some are fancy using conac.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-21, 15:35

BF:

Thanks. No onions for me, though, since I've been total carnivore for 2 weeks now and am loving it. I'll try gently sauteeing it in butter. I could have it alongside another protein and grab a bit of the liverwurst along with a bigger piece of the other protein.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-21, 15:57

BF:

Sauted in butter sounds delicious!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-21, 23:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Liverwurst is mostly fat, so adding butter would be "gilding the lily" as it were . It will disintegrate when fried, turning into crispy solid bits swimming in liquid oil .. without adding any extra fat. Just sayin' . Just be aware .. it's salty.

Eggs and liverwurst go well together. I like to tuck some gently heated liverwurst (just till it gets soft, but not liquefied ) inside an omelet .. usually with fried onions, but by itself is good too. You could always add a sprinkle of onion powder . You can also top hot scrambled eggs with a couple Tbsp liverwurst .. stir until it melts and mixes in all creamy and yummy . Make deviled eggs by cutting boiled eggs in half, mixing the mashed yolks with softened liverwurst then piling back into the whites. Again, a sprinkle of onion powder, and/or a sprinkle of chopped fresh dill or dried dillweed would be awesome, but not pure carnivore. Oh well.

I love liverwurst. Just like some folks eat peanut butter straight out of the jar with a spoon, I do the same with liverwurst. So good!

Read labels carefully. Some brands have added milk powder or other dairy ingredients. Just in case that's a problem ....

Enjoy!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-21, 06:11

BF:

Ms Arielle, yes, ANYTHING sauteed in butter sounds delicious! When the bread basket comes to the table at our favorite restaurant, I forgo the bread and ask if I could just slather the butter on my fingers. Hubby frowns on that!

Doreen, thanks for the tip. I knew it was high in fat, but didn't realize the full extent. I'll try mixing it in with some scrambled eggs. I also have a friend who eats it "au naturel." Who knows? Maybe I'll get there one day. I once tried to make pate from chicken livers, and it was awful.

Also an excellent point to look at the ingredient list. Will definitely do that. I'll ask to see the label.

Doreen, by the way, does this forum allow discussion of carnivore eating? I kind of remember something about not allowing it, and I don't want to break any rules.

Last edited by BawdyWench : Mon, Sep-06-21 at 06:20.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-21, 06:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

We had some long discussions about it in 2016. Both under Zero Carb and Carnivore. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471960 Many links to other websites, like Dr Baker's MeatRx in those posts. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471960
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-21, 07:03

BF:

Thanks, Janet!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-21, 09:33
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Doreen, by the way, does this forum allow discussion of carnivore eating? I kind of remember something about not allowing it, and I don't want to break any rules.

Carnivore, zero carb/ZC, meat & eggs ... all welcome and have always been . What's not allowed is flaming, insults, bashing and intolerance of other plans. Our forum rules are pretty standard in asking members to participate in a civil, respectful manner.

Years ago some ZC devotees engaged in the above-listed violations, often repeatedly. Unfortunately the moderators were accused of "not allowing discussion" when in fact we simply asked for the inflammatory behavior to stop.

Just sayin'
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-21, 10:13

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Love liverwurst. Usually prepare it like a deli sandwich with thin slices of Swiss cheese on the outside, slices of liverwurst in the middle, and flavored with spicy-brown mustard. Add a dill or half-sour pickle, and it's a great and easy meal.

I'm very close to being a carnivore ("carnivorish," as Paul Saladino terms it). Enables me to emphasize nutrient-dense protein including organ meats with a few lc veggies and berries occasionally. For me, it's an effective WOE.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-21, 18:58

BF:

Rob, that sounds great: comb ine strong flavors. Lol

I'm learning we don't eat enough organ meat. Liver is esp high in B12, a vit not found in veggies.

I had the fortune to sell a couple head of sheep to a group that processed the mature ewes on my farm. It was a party of men, who educated me on how they traditionally used everything but the pelt for food. A humbling experience. Sheep have a good size liver, but I've never seen it at a market. Just beef or chicken.

IMHO, humans developed eating huge amounts of "meats", nose to tail, along with berries , nuts , soft leafy greens , and root vegetables. Nuts likely ground, or soaked, possibly cooked; and roots cooked to very soft. To be digestible, most veg needs a light saute at the very least. The more fibrous, the more cooking needed to release the nutrients.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, Sep-06-21 at 19:03.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-21, 06:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Years ago some ZC devotees engaged in the above-listed violations, often repeatedly. Unfortunately the moderators were accused of "not allowing discussion" when in fact we simply asked for the inflammatory behavior to stop.

I think I remember those days!

Rob, I just read "The Carnivore Code" by Paul Saladino, and now halfway through "The Carnivore Diet" by Shawn Baker. This is in addition to lots of blogs and YouTube channels devoted to the carnivore lifestyle. I had tried it a couple times in the past and never had any success. Now I realize I wasn't eating nearly enough. I would still have my 4 or 5 oz of protein at each meal and think that was enough. Nope. I'm struggling to get the "recommended" 2 pounds of meat in per day, but usually get a bit more than a pound in. Any more and I'm uncomfortably full, even 6 to 8 hours later. I'd rather eat two meals of 8 or 10 ounces of protein (plus lots of fat) and feel comfortably full than try to force two meals of 16 ounces of protein each ... let alone one meal of 32 ounces! Yikes!!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-21, 06:48

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I get a German brand of liverwurst that I actually like. I get a 1/4 pound and eat a slice or two a couple of times a week. Do check those ingredients! I think it makes a world of difference.

BawdyWench, I'm on all animal products/botanical fruits kind of plan and will look forward to your future threads as you explore this radical change

In my case, it made a radical change in my body and health, too!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-21, 07:05

BF:

Yes, carnivore is different. For now, I'm doing just meats and fats, no plant foods of any kind. I do use a few seasonings here and there, but no whole fruits/veggies. I feel better and starting to feel a LOT leaner, even though I've only lost 5 pounds and my measurements are the same. I put that down to losing fat all over in an even layer, if you will, rather than losing an inch off my waist, for example.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-21, 08:52

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I think I remember those days!

Rob, I just read "The Carnivore Code" by Paul Saladino, and now halfway through "The Carnivore Diet" by Shawn Baker. This is in addition to lots of blogs and YouTube channels devoted to the carnivore lifestyle. I had tried it a couple times in the past and never had any success. Now I realize I wasn't eating nearly enough. I would still have my 4 or 5 oz of protein at each meal and think that was enough. Nope. I'm struggling to get the "recommended" 2 pounds of meat in per day, but usually get a bit more than a pound in. Any more and I'm uncomfortably full, even 6 to 8 hours later. I'd rather eat two meals of 8 or 10 ounces of protein (plus lots of fat) and feel comfortably full than try to force two meals of 16 ounces of protein each ... let alone one meal of 32 ounces! Yikes!!!

Saladino's book provides good guidelines. My brother went carnivore on January 1st this year, and is now going into month 9. Says he's never felt better, and this is from a committed low carber since the early 2000s. I wondered how people would feel over a longer term, but he and many others have benefited. Keep us posted on your experiences.