Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 10:42

Plan: Schwarzbein Principal
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks to Tazzione and Santabarb for feedback!

To Elizlea -- Considering my own weight gain since starting SP (down 5, up 13, down 8, up 10, down 8, now up 3 -- leaving me at 5 pounds over what I was when I first started, but five pounds lower than I was at New Year's of this year -- I can totally relate to the frustration! You haven't mentioned your weight, and neither have I, but I'm guessing if you didn't have too much to lose in the first place, your body is just adjusting to the change in diet. I have a lot to lose, and so didn't consider the net gain of 10 pounds huge (five of those now gone), but certainly annoying! Also, you have to keep in mind that if you are exercising more, you are increasing your muscle-size. Over time this will help control weight by burning calories faster, but for now may be contributing in part to your weight gain.

Meanwhile, after a recent visit to my doctor, when I was listing what I was eating (having not quite gotten to filling in the food diary he'd given me), I went away thinking, hmmm, I'm actually eating more carbs than I "should," if I go by what worked for me on Atkins (when Atkins still worked for me). That would be around 30 carbs a day, but here I am sometimes eating that much in a meal!

So, I'm figuring I need to lower my carbs overall, even while staying with SP. I think she recommends going low-fat for some people, though I haven't tried that yet. If anything, it seems to help when I do one all protein/high fat meal per day or every other day. (This is extracted from Atkings "extreme metabolic resistance" short-term plan, which I've posted about on one thread or another here.)

I think your and my experiences show that we need to make adjustments as we go along until we find what works. For me, for now, I'm going to try lowering the overall carbs to no more than 40-45 per day, and to keep trying to increase my exercise.

I'm still taking Glucofast (also on another thread), though have stalled at this 5-8 "wavering" pound range. Meanwhile, though, I had another case of bronchitis in the past month, which again slowed down my exercise. Until I get that back up (to at least 20 minutes 3x per week), I can't say, since the intial "bang" of 8 pounds off in the first month of taking Gl., whether the "wavering" is because that's as much effect as it will have on me, or because of the illness/less exercise.

Thank you all for being there, and I'm happy that a number of us are actually checking in so often!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 05:34

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizlea
Sorry I haven't posted in ages, I have had a busy time with family and school. I'm still gaining weight and am at my wits end. I have tried so hard for so long, doing all the right things (I thought), first with WW and now with TSP. I don't eat processed food, I measure my carbs, I eat sufficient protein and fats and vegetables, and I do as much exercise as living with Chronic Fatigue allows. And yet here I am, still gaining weight after already gaining 20 pounds. I can't take it any more. My self esteem has always been fragile but now it is going down the toilet. I would do anything to be healthy and be the weight at which my body is happiest. But I don't feel right with flab in folds on my tummy, and cottage cheese thighs. I have no idea what to do. What am I doing wrong? What can I feasibly do??? I have no idea but I needed to vent because I am so frustrated and fed up with doing my best and getting no where. AAARGH !!!!!! *Tears out hair*... at least I'm having my periods again I guess.

My best advice to you,which is based on what is currently working for me, is gently lower your carb intake. How many carbs are you getting at a meal or in a day? That number is too high for you.
Schwarzbein is about building health, but it's not necessarally about weight loss, I find. Your calorie intake may also be high now in comparison to WW.
I'm not saying zero carbs, just try gently bring it down to maybe 20 carbs a meal and keep working with it.
My experience with this is that I hung out on the carnivore threads and meat and egg threads, and seeing their experience became confident I could progress better to my goal if I allowed myself to eat more meat and eggs and lose the brown rice, cheese, all wheat, all beans, all bread. This happened to coincide with a time of the month (TOM) or period . I lost all cravings and gained immense energy. Pounds dropped off. Actually too fast, so for the last couple of days I've added more veggies back to slow the weightloss because I'm aiming for about 1-2 lbs a week loss rather than a precipitous drop. I think for a lot of people Schwarzbein is good for maintenance, but not weight loss unless you have two or three years to play with.
That's my experience. Because you have delicate health concerns I would work slowly and not allow the body panic.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 05:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessMom
Thanks to Tazzione and Santabarb for feedback!

To Elizlea -- Considering my own weight gain since starting SP...I can totally relate to the frustration! You haven't mentioned your weight, and neither have I, but I'm guessing if you didn't have too much to lose in the first place, your body is just adjusting to the change in diet.

Meanwhile, after a recent visit to my doctor, when I was listing what I was eating (having not quite gotten to filling in the food diary he'd given me), I went away thinking, hmmm, I'm actually eating more carbs than I "should," if I go by what worked for me on Atkins (when Atkins still worked for me). That would be around 30 carbs a day, but here I am sometimes eating that much in a meal!

So, I'm figuring I need to lower my carbs overall, even while staying with SP. .... If anything, it seems to help when I do one all protein/high fat meal per day or every other day. (This is extracted from Atkings "extreme metabolic resistance" short-term plan, which I've posted about on one thread or another here.)

I think your and my experiences show that we need to make adjustments as we go along until we find what works. For me, for now, I'm going to try lowering the overall carbs to no more than 40-45 per day, and to keep trying to increase my exercise.

Thank you all for being there, and I'm happy that a number of us are actually checking in so often!

LessMom, I think you answered your own questions. My experience matches yours. I am certain that wheat messes up my system now--and grains in general are out for now. The peace I feel and freedom from cravings is remarkable as I joyfully partake of eggs and meat and throw in vegetables like broccoli, avocadoes (a fruit) and salads as needed or desired.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 05:53

BF:

BTW, Eliz==
That you are having your periods again is a notable marker of internal healing and hormonal adjustments. It seems to me that too many carbs AND/OR carbs from the wrong source--wheat, grains, beans, potatoes--overtax the system. Check Ben Balzer on google to see his input on that.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 12:53
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/my own
Stats: 215/220/140 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: -7%

well and it is a fact that when you go from a very low carb diet like atkins to a higher carb diet like SP there will be weight gain just simply from the increase in carbs, probably it would be better to transition to a plan like SP than just dive in head first :-) give your body a chance to adjust and I don't think there would be anything wrong with limiting your carbs to whatever level you found allowed you to feel healthy but not gain--I know how the doc feels about it, but in some cases gaining 20-30 lbs can present/aggravate already existing conditions, also I think the choice of carbs makes a big difference, I personally am finding that I can't seem to eat just a small amount of carbs, if I eat any I am a goner and I have to have lots, this I know is partially mental, but it is also physical, my body knows what it is used to and wants to keep the status quo....it is clearly going to take some time for me to learn this new balance both mentally and physcially....
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 23:31

BF:

Elizlea and Tazzie--
Might I suggest a thread where you will find a bunch of Schwarzbeiners who have found a more workable way? It's called Fat's Where It's At and BawdyWench, JandL'sMom and others give their insight. I've found it enormously helpful and it's helped me get out of this too-high carb quandry with Schwarzbein. Eating much more meat and fat cleared away alot of the deadwood for me.
BTW, I con't understand why this here thread never comes up in my inbox. I have to hunt around to re-find this 'neighborhood'.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-06, 07:51
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/my own
Stats: 215/220/140 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: -7%

I looked for the thread but couldn't find it ...can ya point me to it?
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-06, 14:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzieone
I looked for the thread but couldn't find it ...can ya point me to it?

Would love to, but sadly my computer skills on this site are not that advanced. What happens if you click under one of our names? I could send a message to Bawdy our thread moderator and see if she can find you.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-06, 16:33

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by santabarb
Would love to, but sadly my computer skills on this site are not that advanced. What happens if you click under one of our names? I could send a message to Bawdy our thread moderator and see if she can find you.

Me? A thread moderator? Not a chance! I'm just a poster like everyone else.

Here's the link to the thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=287013

Actually, the link is to the last page of the thread, but you might want to start at the beginning and at least skim through to see what we're all doing.

See ya over there!
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 07:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Me? A thread moderator? Not a chance! I'm just a poster like everyone else.

Here's the link to the thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=287013

Actually, the link is to the last page of the thread, but you might want to start at the beginning and at least skim through to see what we're all doing.

See ya over there!

Well, that hefty bison by your picture makes you look like a moderator.

Last edited by santabarb : Sun, Apr-23-06 at 07:46. Reason: space
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 08:16
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Barb, it will say Forum Moderator under a user name when they are such. Those of us with fancy animals just talk a lot.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 22:24
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein!!
Stats: -/-/- Female 162 cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 1600%
Question

Again, it's been a while since I posted, thank all for trying to help...

I've gotten to the end of my tether. I prayed on it, and the next day in the mail I got a pamphlet from weight watchers australia advertising that they had now begun to offer the australian version of the "CORE" program, called "No Count". Basically you eat until your satisfied of X foods. I figure I'll do that, within the guidelines of schwarzbein on carb intake as well as protein, and spend the points they give you for "treats" on healthy fats in avocados and almonds, etc.

What do you think?

I haven't gotten the info yet, it should be coming to me in the mail any day now.

I'll keep posting my progress, if that's ok??

P.S. - I will still eat unprocessed, natural foods - it's become really normal now. I had one coke zero the other day and it made me feel soooooo bad!! I won't do that again!
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 07:12
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 198/183.5/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 44%

Elizea-
I could be wrong, but the Core allows very high carbs as long as there is no fat. For example, you can have as much brown rice as you want with your meal (same with whole grain bread etc..) To me, it is just like South Beach. You may be allowed to eat any of the core foods (and as much as you want), but it is very low-fat and high carbs (complex...but as we know, that doesn't always matter if you are wheat sensative).
Obviously you can try it and see, but just remember that for every diet we go on, you will gain 2-3 lbs after and I just read last night in the awesome book "7 Secrets of Slim People" that it can take up to a year for your body to recover from each diet you go on. That is why it can take that long for Schwarzbein to "kick in". Your body needs to know that it is not going to be starved.

I totally understand the feeling of wanting to lose weight...I've been trying for 4 months now, but let's not lose sight of why we all started Schwarzbein to begin with!! We did it to get off of the crazy diet cycle and just focus on eating healthy. I will say that I have been playing with the carbs (lowering them to 15-20 per meal and I even might try to not have any after 3pm--I find I really don't want them with dinner anyway). So we'll see what happens. I also highly suggest going to see a naturopath or nutrionalist! I did and he did a physical exam and said that my adrenals were in trouble and he is going to put me on a program as soon as I get my thyroid tested and see what that says. He said that the physical exam NEVER lies and that it is more accurate than saliva testing. Just a thought...

Have you read Muriel Hemmingways autobiography yet? She devotes a whole chapter to Schwarzbein and talks about how she gained 10 lbs when she started and it stayed on for 1 year! Now she is this lean, mean yoga machine who has (in my opinion) the most beautiful body! She did say that she stopped using cream and cheese but still eats a lot of fats every day. She was basically anorexic when she started so she said that even just gaining 10 lbs was HUGE for her (probably felt the way 20 lbs feels to us!). Her husband also got stage 4 cancer and she put him on TSP right away (he was a typical American eater--lots of junk and sugar) and he went on to fully recover and the Drs credited TSP way of eating with "starving" the cancer cells from having sugar (I guess that can stimulate them??) Anyway, my point is to remember that we are doing this for life-long health too
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 19:27
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein!!
Stats: -/-/- Female 162 cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 1600%

Thanks Momto3boys,
The reason I felt like giving WW another go was because, with the core type program you would not be restricting calories, which is compatible with TSP, and you would be eating unprocessed real foods. Just because the program does not limit carbs does not mean I won't limit carbs myself. So if I limit carbs, include protein and fats... I just figure that is basically exactly what TSP says to do. I don't want to go on any crazy diet... I just don't know what to do. I weigh about 75kg now, which means I've gained over 15 kilos or thirty pounds.
I did go to a naturopath, and I ran by her everything I was planning on trying, i.e. ww. She said that sounded fine, but added trying not to eat carbs after 6:00pm. I told her what I was eating on TSP and she said she could not imagine me gaining that much weight from that amount of food, and that I was eating one of the healthiest diets she's seen.

Blaaaaargh I just don't know what to do. There is so much conflicting opinion out there!!!
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Apr-29-06, 09:19

BF:

Eliz-
I did WW Core for 3 weeks in January. It's fairly labor intensive, but if you make lots of stews without potatoes. plenty of celery, onion and tomatoes,for example, it tastes great and you keep the carbs lower.

I felt hungry all the time, like I always do on WW. In my particular case, I can now understand that I have to keep a sharp eye on carbs, use plenty of meat and fat. The fat is what satiates and helps with myriad body processes.

I agree with most of what Mom to 3 Boys says. Honestly, I'd stick with Schwarzbein--it's healthier than jettisoning the fats. Who says you can't do a lowish carb version of Schwarzbein?

I can't handle sodas either.