Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 10:42

Plan: Schwarzbein Principal
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks to Tazzione and Santabarb for feedback!

To Elizlea -- Considering my own weight gain since starting SP (down 5, up 13, down 8, up 10, down 8, now up 3 -- leaving me at 5 pounds over what I was when I first started, but five pounds lower than I was at New Year's of this year -- I can totally relate to the frustration! You haven't mentioned your weight, and neither have I, but I'm guessing if you didn't have too much to lose in the first place, your body is just adjusting to the change in diet. I have a lot to lose, and so didn't consider the net gain of 10 pounds huge (five of those now gone), but certainly annoying! Also, you have to keep in mind that if you are exercising more, you are increasing your muscle-size. Over time this will help control weight by burning calories faster, but for now may be contributing in part to your weight gain.

Meanwhile, after a recent visit to my doctor, when I was listing what I was eating (having not quite gotten to filling in the food diary he'd given me), I went away thinking, hmmm, I'm actually eating more carbs than I "should," if I go by what worked for me on Atkins (when Atkins still worked for me). That would be around 30 carbs a day, but here I am sometimes eating that much in a meal!

So, I'm figuring I need to lower my carbs overall, even while staying with SP. I think she recommends going low-fat for some people, though I haven't tried that yet. If anything, it seems to help when I do one all protein/high fat meal per day or every other day. (This is extracted from Atkings "extreme metabolic resistance" short-term plan, which I've posted about on one thread or another here.)

I think your and my experiences show that we need to make adjustments as we go along until we find what works. For me, for now, I'm going to try lowering the overall carbs to no more than 40-45 per day, and to keep trying to increase my exercise.

I'm still taking Glucofast (also on another thread), though have stalled at this 5-8 "wavering" pound range. Meanwhile, though, I had another case of bronchitis in the past month, which again slowed down my exercise. Until I get that back up (to at least 20 minutes 3x per week), I can't say, since the intial "bang" of 8 pounds off in the first month of taking Gl., whether the "wavering" is because that's as much effect as it will have on me, or because of the illness/less exercise.

Thank you all for being there, and I'm happy that a number of us are actually checking in so often!