Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-01, 23:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default SomerSweet

Found this on Suzanne Somers web site...Too good be true or what?

Be afraid, be very afraid... I see too many desserts in my future.

"When I was first developing SomerSweet I looked at a product called lo-han; but I found that, like Stevia, I was detecting an aftertaste when I tried to cook with it. Then I was introduced to a blend, including sweet fibers, that tastes incredible and holds up beautifully in the cooking process. It's like a dream come true! I have never had such success making desserts without sugar, until now.

With SomerSweet, you can heat it, you can freeze it, you can boil it, bake it, fry it, broil it and toast it. You can make delicious cakes, puddings, tarts, ice cream and more. You can even caramelize it to make caramel sauce, caramel pudding and a perfect caramelized top for crème brulee!

...it's a great source of pre-biotic fiber. You know, fiber… the stuff your body needs anyway? Well, SomerSweet gives you the fiber your body needs with the sweetness your taste buds crave!

The wonderful thing about SomerSweet is that it won't start the craving cycle that sugar does.

After you eat a dessert with SomerSweet, you won't be wishing for more an hour later, because SomerSweet will not send your insulin levels soaring!"

http://www.suzannesomers.com/Home/

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-01, 23:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

LOL, there's no plant or chemical called SommerSweet. Whatever it is. It's re-packaged from another brand called SlimSweet, I think.

If it's obtained from a fruit (as opposed to a leaf like stevia) it may be categorized like fructose. No?

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 09:22
Forum Founder

BF:

I suppose we'll find out more when the product is actually launched!

If it's fructose based, I'm going to scream, and not in a good way.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 18:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default it's a kind of fructose but ...

... my investigations reveal it's modified somewhat and in some way. I haven't actually got some SomerSweet to test yet, Karen, but I have found a local "equivalent" in the form of OptiSweet in the shaker jar (not the little envelopes... also has attached a wee little serving size spoon which is ~ 1/5 tsp by volume soooooooo I've been testing the SomerSizing recipes in volume 3 with that.

It works quite well, the 1/5th tsp (<1g carb & weight per the label) sweetens about 2 tsp worth of more of regular sucrose, and it works very well synergistically with Liquid Sugar Twin or Stevia Working Liquid... (1 tsp white stevia extract powder to 3 tbsp filtered water).

Beware with your sweets issue, but be aware it's out there...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 19:05
Forum Founder

BF:

What appealed to me about SomerSweet is that it can be caramelized. Can OptiSweet be caramelized?

I would love to serve a LC creme brulee or caramel mousse at a dinner party. My friends would plotz!

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 00:37
Registered Member

Talking hmmmmmmmm

There's a test I haven't dared as yet... caramelizing. But then, I'd have to disbelieve the label because only a true sugar caramelizes, no? Or a large volume of this fine stuff would have to be used (and would it not then be TOO sweet?). Only one way to find out.

I'll test it if you'll loan me your propane torch?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 00:38
Registered Member

Smile PS

... derived from Kiwi ...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 00:46
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
I'll test it if you'll loan me your propane torch?

Yeah, I'll mail it to you!

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 01:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Low Glycemic
Stats: 203/199/125
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Ingredients

Hello all!

Straight from the website, the ingredients in SommerSweet are:

Oligofructose, Inulin, Fructose, Sprouted Mung Bean Extract, Acesulfame-K.

I'm very new to the low carb lifestlye, I have read parts of Dr. Atkins New Diet Rev. and The Complete Guide to Fat-Storing Carbohydrates.

If fructose is considered low glycemic, why can't we have it on the Atkins diet? I'm starting to get a little confused here...

...and here's why:

As Karen has pointed out earlier in another thread, Splenda is an approved Atkins sweetener. The powdered form contains dextrose and maltodextrins (which are high glycemic.)

On the other hand, fructose is not allowed on the Atkins diet though it is low glycemic. See why I'm STILL confused.

By the way, I found "Diabetisweet" at Target which contains Isomalt and Acesulfame-K. (both low glycemic!) I'll let you guys know how it tastes....

Misuzu
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 08:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default SomerSweet

I saw SomerSweet offered on either QVC or Home Shopping Network (television retailers) here in the states over the holidays. It was offered in a small sack, and looked like a bag of sugar. They mentioned that it can be used just like sugar and callers raved about it.

Interested to learn what y'all think of it.

Donald
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 13:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I posted this back in October to someone else who had these exact questions about SomerSweet and fructose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we hear the word fructose, we think "fruit sugar". Sounds healthy enough. After all, fructose is the main sugar found in fruits, vegetables and honey, right?? True. But the fructose that gets added to food, even so-called "natural" food, and the white crystalline powder that is sold in bulk food and natural foods stores in definitely not natural, and does not come from fruit. It is a highly refined monosaccharide sugar, made from corn syrup or corn starch. More recently, they've discovered a way to treat white table sugar (sucrose) chemically, so that it converts part of its glucose content to fructose. This type of sugar is very cheap to produce, that's why the food industry loves it, and because it is sweeter, they can use less of it. But it is everywhere, soft drinks, "natural" juices and fruit drinks, baby food, desserts, candies .. you name it.

Fructose is readily absorbed into the cells to be used as fuel .. without requiring insulin to do so. Thus, there is no significant rise in blood sugar (the fructose is so rapidly absorbed, it doesn't stay in the blood long enough) nor insulin levels. This is what makes fructose have such a low "glycemic" value. However, your body will use the fructose for fuel first, therefore your fat-burning will be put on hold. It can and will halt ketosis.

But that's the good news... .. The bad news is -- the fact that fructose doesn't require insulin to enter the cell actually increases the likelihood of developing insulin resistance. Many researchers are blaming the alarming increase of type 2 diabetes in KIDS to the fact that fructose, in the form of high-fructose corn syrup, is THE most commonly added sweetener in processed foods, especially the "healthy" fruit drinks.

As well, fructose is now known to increase blood lipids, in particular triglycerides. And it has been linked for years to increased risk of heart disease .... Glucose sugar binds with proteins in the body, and in the process it damages the DNA of the protein. Research has shown the link of this sugar-damage to the plaque buildup and hardening of artery walls. Fructose can bind to proteins 10 to 15 times more readily than glucose.

In Protein Power Lifeplan, the Eades discuss the dangers of fructose pp 159 - 162. As well, you might want to read this eye-opening article, written by Jack Challan, the Nutrition Reporter. I guarantee you will think twice before allowing your family to consume anything with fructose in it. ... http://www.nutritionreporter.com/fructose_dangers.html

Read and Learn.

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 14:22
Forum Founder

BF:

This is why it makes me mental to see "sugar free" products that contain fructose!

Sugar-free ice cream? So many ice cream stores sell this. And it contains fructose. Grrrr!

As always, knowledge is power. It's also freedom.

BTW, the original SomerSweet was supposed to be something different.

Here's the link to the folderol: Lo Han Gold

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 10:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Low Glycemic
Stats: 203/199/125
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Thanks!

Hi All!

I've downloaded the article on fructose. I also went to the Lo Han Gold website. I was trying to find the particulars on the Dr. Allen/S. Somers debate. Thank you for the site address.

Give me time to read the report, it's pretty long... I also downloaded the article on Acesulfame-K (Ace-K) from the Lo Han Gold link above.

I bought two more sweeteners: "Agave Nectar" (100% Agave Nectar-low glycemic) and "Aspartame InstaSweet" tablets. (Ingredients: Lactose, Aspartame, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Cellulose Derivatives and Leucine)

I am doing a modified Atkins/Low Glycemic program.

Agave and Aspartame: approved or not?

Just wanted to thank everyone in advance. It's great getting knowlege from experienced low carber's (Is that a word?)

I've purchased a lot of different sweeteners in the past few days... I'm slightly obsessive/compulsive
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 14:22
Registered Member

Agave, approved or not? Depends on your program... in Atkins, the total carb count, or carb load, is what matters and no real emphasis on glycemic index. So you must decide if it is "approved" for you on your personal approach.

Aspartame, that's easy. Atkins disses it big time! A no-no on Atkins.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 16:31

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%
Default more on Somersweet

Hi, gang...

Before I decided to do give Atkins a go, I did a few weeks of Suzanne Somers' program. I actually enjoyed it, but didn't lose (or gain) a pound. Might make an excellent maintenance program for me. Anyway, I ordered some of the Somersweet from Suzanne's website (she has an LC forum that you might want to check out). I don't know how it is going to impact my weight loss, but to me, it tastes pretty much like a standard AS. (like Splenda or Nutrisweet). And yes, it does caramelize. She has a recipe for creme brulee that her followers rave about. (I haven't tried it -- not the most adventurous cook!)

I'm still using a little of the Somersweet because I have it and it's easy, but unless you want to caramelize something, Splenda is probably just as good (or bad, as the case may be). If you read some of the forum comments about Somersweet, you'll see that the product causes a lot of people to get crampy, gassy pains. I've had no such reaction. As I said, the product seemed very average to me. It aint sugar, that's for sure -- probably just as well -- I'd eat tons of it!

I think common sense should rule here. The product is listed as zero cals (in a small serving) and if used prudently, it probably wouldn't screw up weight loss, but if you dump tons of it in your foods-- which could happen if you're making desserts--there may be problems.

Also, FWIW, I've read about a lot of people having trouble with receiving the Somersweet they ordered. Again, I was lucky and got mine without any problem. The product is also very pricy.

OK, that's more than you ever wanted to know about AS!!
As I said, I'm a newbie, so if you have time, check out my journal (under the J's).

Chat with you soon!