Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 01:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Prevention magazine quiz

Check it out. I only got five "right," then e-mailed them to explain that THEY were misinformed on the other five.

http://www.prevention.com/cda/quizl...s1-7309,00.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 07:42

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I did slightly worse than you...

Quote:
9. When you have to have fast food, what's your least offensive option?
Salad with low-fat dressing
No-bun burger
Baked potato with sour cream
Grilled chicken BBQ sandwich

The correct answer is Salad with low-fat dressing

But it's important to go easy on the cheese, croutons, and bacon bits as well as fatty dressings like ranch and creamy Italian. While a no-bun burger limits your intake of no-nutrient carbs, you're still loading up on what is probably not the highest-quality red meat. If you must have the burger, order it sans "secret sauce" and other fat-packed toppings. The baked potato--even without sour cream--provides a whopping number of carbohydrates (71 or 73), while the barbecue chicken sandwich weighs in with 43.

How enlightening... NOT.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 07:53

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

It was obvious that the quiz was designed by someone with little knowledge of low-carbing and a belief that fat is bad. Some of the questions and choices were really meaningless.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 08:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/268.5/145 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 12%

I got 6 right, but I guessed at some of them, Teehee. Peg
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 09:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 152/???/130 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 14%

I agree with Mike, some of the choices they gave were meaningless for someone who has read a LC book. Was the quizz for someone in induction or OWL? As far as I know no oatmeal or red wine is allowed during Induction>.........(for those of us on Atkins)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 11:05

Plan: TNTDIET
Stats: 327/234/220 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 87%

That test was wrong in so many ways.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 12:22

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Unknown

That was a Will Rogers quote. And I couldn't agree more.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 12:36
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah, I keep meaning to update my sig. The site I found the quote on had it as "unknown." Thanks!

And I know. I explained to them in detail why their answers - and most of their choices - were wrong. And why it's not just about the number of carbs (which is why they picked the cookie over the strawberries) but also where they come from. And why their answer about fat and fast food was completely off-base.

And suggested if they want better information, they should come here!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 13:24

Plan: Anabolic diet
Stats: 355.0/308.0/230.0 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

so, low carb AND low fat as well? just where are they supposed to get their energy from?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 13:52
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Well I got 7 out of 10 but I am willing to debate the incorrect answers with them. It is also hard when they do not allow me to pick "none of the above." Being an Atkins geared person, I am greatly lacking on the South Beach info. I wouldn't order the sweet potato either! An oatmeal cookie? where is the Atkins Cheesecake option????? Would have kick myself in the ass for having any of the choices.

And what do I care if a term has not been evaluated by the government, I can figure it out myself. Wasn't that Atkins one o one!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 17:01
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rloveman
Check it out. I only got five "right," then e-mailed them to explain that THEY were misinformed on the other five.

http://www.prevention.com/cda/quizl...s1-7309,00.html

Totally stupid.

Their "best low carb dinner" part made me lol. Every dish contained so much starch and so little fat I felt icky just reading it I wanted to shuck all the starch off the plate and take the actual nutritious lower carb veggies instead (the carrots, peas, broccoli rabe) . Oh, and give me back my beef fat and chicken skin please, thanks.

THen the dessert part was even better. Eating an oatmeal cookie is better than strawberries dipped in dark chocolate. On what planet is the refined sugar, refined grain, zero nutrient processed monstrosity known as an oatmeal cookie superior to the delicious and nutritious low carb anti-oxidant rich berries in dark chocolate? I don't even understand how they can say this from a purely low carb point of view. A strawberry dipped in non-sugared chocolate is way lower carb than a small oatmeal cookie. Oh, I forgot. Chocolate has some fat. Applesauce moistened oatmeal cookies do not. Ha ha. Oh, and all the other foods - which can be made very low carb - were almost entirely fat (cheesecake, icecream), so "we must rarely indulge in them".

What a joke. If you pass this quiz, it only shows how little you know about LC(or alternately, it shows that you know they know very little about LC). Only take this quiz if you assume that fat is the enemy, and that we should be eating grains and tubers for energy... or in other words if you have absolutely no idea how to do a LC diet.

They don't get it. Low carb works because you're not eating the starch and you're eating the fat instead. That's the magic. Eating a potato and taking the skin off your chicken breast isn't low carb. It's lower carb maybe (or what should really be called "sane carb" seeing as how ridiculous a regular diet is), but certainly not low carb.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 17:28

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

LOL Is this the same quiz that was on CNN? That was a joke too!

I got 4 wrong:

Quote:
2. If you follow a low-carb diet, you can consume more calories.
The correct answer is False

Many people gain weight because they scarf down huge plates of pasta or other carb-laden foods, but a calorie is a calorie, and if you consume too many, you will tip the scales--whether you're noshing on chicken or capellini.

I consume about 50% more calories and am loosing faster than high carb

This one is just plain wrong!
Quote:
7. What's the best low-carb option to satisfy your sweet tooth?
The correct answer is An oatmeal cookie

Of the above-mentioned choices, the oatmeal cookie deserves top dessert status, racking up only 10 carb points. Strawberries dipped in dark chocolate (which packs in the antioxidants) come in second. The other choices are best enjoyed rarely--and in small doses.

Strawberries and DARK chocolate is so much healthier than a cookie! What, because it's oatmeal it's good for you!?!?!?!?

When will they learn! It's NOT JUST THE NUMBER, IT'S THE QUALITY!!!!! (sorry...didn't mean to shout!)

I chose the burger over the salad too. Of course, I'd probably choose nothing.....fast food places make me sick. I'd have black coffee or water.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 17:30

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

broccoli rabe

? What is that?

I picked that answer because at least it was broccoli!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 19:21
Registered Member

BF:

It's some sort of leafy green vegetable. Better than PEAS, that's for sure!!

I knew you guys would find it amusing/ annoying!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 20:37
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 269/269/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

This goes to show just how stupid Prevention is...

I subscribed to their magazine for many years...My sub was up over two years ago and they still send it to me.

So that tells me they are pretty much oblivious to what is going on around them.

Birdy...