Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-20, 07:46

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
This supports what I had long suspected. The people in the worst metabolic health get fed the worst possible diet.

Yep, it's the worst - but in this topsy-turvy world, it's considered to be the best, healthiest way to eat for everyone.
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-20, 08:32

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Yep, it's the worst - but in this topsy-turvy world, it's considered to be the best, healthiest way to eat for everyone.

I'll be in the hospital overnight for a procedure. I plan on telling them that I eat low carb with NO grains, fruit, starchy vegetables, or sugar. I wonder what I'll get? If need be, I can fast for the one or two meals I'll be there - and I may not feel like eating anyway.
  #243   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-20, 08:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I'll be in the hospital overnight for a procedure. I plan on telling them that I eat low carb with NO grains, fruit, starchy vegetables, or sugar. I wonder what I'll get? If need be, I can fast for the one or two meals I'll be there - and I may not feel like eating anyway.

Whatever you do, don't ask for the diabetic or heart-healthy diets.
Unless, it has changed even Duke does not have a true low carb choice. The advice we have given to the support group is to order off the a la carte menu...pick eggs from breakfast, sliced chicken lunch meat, etc. All the best your visit goes well and you find something to eat
  #244   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-20, 10:54

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:

Guessing that, under current circumstances, you won't even be able to have a "support person" with you.

The following advice comes from having been my Dad's support person for probably 2 dozen hospitalizations over the last 4 years of his life (in 6 different hospitals that I can think of...twice at Duke!) plus for my husband for 2 major extended hospitalizations and once for a dear friend who had open heart surgery.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself stuck on the so-called "heart healthy" or "diabetes diet" after your procedure regardless of what you tell them upfront. Trust me, I've dealt with too many "hospitalists" who simply follow a set procedure of putting every surgery patient under their care on the heart-healthy diet! And once you're on that limited menu, getting it changed takes an act of Congress.

Fasting is an option but your body needs protein and energy (fats) to heal... plus, [TMI warning] depending on the procedure you're going in for, they may not release you until you've pooped... and that requires that you eat. Also, it is possible that, while you're knocked out for surgery, they MAY give you an I.V. containing dextrose which will raise your blood sugar, then they'll give you insulin to bring it back down... So you may wake up already on a blood sugar roller coaster! That'll make fasting almost impossible.

Your best hospital menu options will likely be scrambled egg-whites and low-fat turkey sausages for breakfast, side salads and whatever meat choices are available without sauces for other meals. In my experience, a hospital side salad is about 1/2 cup or less of veggies. You can and should ask for two!

For lunch & dinner, you can mix and match items from different meal options. Eg., one meal option might be roast turkey slices with masked potatoes, dressing and gravy, while another meal option is lasagna with steamed broccoli. You can tell them you want the roast turkey slices DRY with the steamed broccoli on the side and they'll honor that request. And, in most places you can also ask for things like tomato slices and extra leaves of lettuce b/c they have those to put on hamburgers for folks eating in the hospital cafeteria.

With those options, it's POSSIBLE (but not always easy) to get enough protein. The problem is getting enough calories. If I were going in for any kind of procedure right now, I'd pack the bottom of a big purse (or maybe my make-up case) with some shelf-stable low-carb options like individual packs of salmon, chicken or tuna, a pull-top can or a jar of olives, a handful of fast-food individual packs of real mayo, plenty of nuts, plus a small jar of coconut oil or some of those individual tubs of real butter that restaurants have. (Butter, coconut oil, and olives keep just fine without refrigeration!) Add coconut oil or butter to your coffee to make BP coffee; and butter to steamed veggies and to the over-cooked dry meat that you'll be served. You can also create a half-way decent low-carb high-fat salad dressing by mixing mayo with chopped green olives. It won't win any culinary awards but it will make the salads go down easier!

If you're not allowed a support person, they will stick your purse/make-up case in your room for you. Once you're feeling well enough to sit up, just ask any care-worker to get it for you...then just wait till you're alone to pull out your "stash" and jazz up your "heart-healthy" meal. When you're done eating, cover any "trash" (opened mayo packs, etc) with the plate cover that your hospital meal come covered with.

Good luck!
  #245   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-20, 22:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
If you're not allowed a support person, they will stick your purse/make-up case in your room for you. Once you're feeling well enough to sit up, just ask any care-worker to get it for you...then just wait till you're alone to pull out your "stash" and jazz up your "heart-healthy" meal. When you're done eating, cover any "trash" (opened mayo packs, etc) with the plate cover that your hospital meal come covered with.

Good luck!

What a great idea! Even without Covid, my husband wouldn't be able to stay. The hospital is 70 miles from home & I have animals that need to be taken care of. I'd rather he take care of them than me. If they try to keep me past afternoon on the 2nd day, I'll be kicking up a fuss. I truly hate being in hospitals.

My surgery is early in the morning so husband said he'll stay until I wake up - maybe a little longer. But I'll be on my own for the meals - if I feel like eating.
  #246   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-20, 07:06

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Good luck!!!!!!!
  #247   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-20, 07:09

BF:

https://youtu.be/mxxl5I0B7bg

Thought I would post this as it is very detailed.

And this one, too.
https://youtu.be/c_cIeBIkVSw

Dr C 's view is high insulin, driven by those high carbs, is directly responsible for low D3......food for thought.
  #248   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-20, 09:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

This is a great thread, really thoughtful and lots of good info. Thanks.
Bonnie, best of luck with your procedure.
At the time of my surgery, I read an article by a PHD dietitian who showed research that the protein in whey powder is especially accessible by older women for use in healing. (I can’t find the original link but a quick search on this topic brings up a lot of information, including research articles that emphasize the benefits of protein for healing after surgery.) I found smoothies easy to digest after surgery. You can get grass fed whey powder (not cheap), and while I don’t love the taste of stevia, the vanilla flavour made with water or milk and some frozen strawberries was pretty good.
  #249   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-20, 10:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ruby
At the time of my surgery, I read an article by a PHD dietitian who showed research that the protein in whey powder is especially accessible by older women for use in healing.

Good to know!

And good luck with that surgery!
  #250   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-20, 11:00

BF:

Thanks for the good wishes & ideas! I'm stressing over this more than I should be (need more meditation & deep breathing!). Doesn't help that I have to be tested for Covid this week & surgery is next week. Plus being off work for a week or more after surgery. I won't be able to drive & guess what most of my job is? Census driving.
  #251   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-20, 11:28

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ruby
At the time of my surgery, I read an article by a PHD dietitian who showed research that the protein in whey powder is especially accessible by older women for use in healing. (I can’t find the original link but a quick search on this topic brings up a lot of information, including research articles that emphasize the benefits of protein for healing after surgery.)
I'll second the whey powder. I also read something similar and added in whey protein shakes while I was recovering from surgery after breaking my ankle a few months ago.

Hope all goes well with your procedure Bonnie and that you recover quickly.
  #252   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-20, 12:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I went to Mark's Daily Apple. He's a fan.

Not Just for Bodybuilders: The Many Wheys Whey Protein Can Improve Your Health
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/not...ve-your-health/
  #253   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-20, 16:13

BF:

Good read, WB.

Hard to find whey based ricotta. Its all whole milk ricotta.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, Aug-17-20 at 16:19.
  #254   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-20, 11:13

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Good read, WB.

Hard to find whey based ricotta. Its all whole milk ricotta.

Traditional ricotta making is a way to extract the last bit of milk curd from whey after other cheese making to avoid food waste. Since curd is still used, I don't know how much the traditional method increases whey content in the finished product compared with whole milk ricotta making. For whey-related nutritional or medical needs I use a powdered product because it's a highly concentrated source and you know how much of what you're getting for your needs.
  #255   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-20, 02:18

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

COVID-19: Boost your health with BEEF!

“Chronic diseases often result, not from inadequate medical care, but, from an unhealthy diet,” says Don Lyman.

https://www.beefmagazine.com/beef/c...our-health-beef

Quote:
Every person you ask has their version of how best to reduce the spread of this virus to keep us safe. Masks, social distancing, hand washing, sanitizing surfaces, limiting the size of crowds, and the list goes on.

But is there something missing in all these safety protocols?

It’s glaringly obvious and blatantly ignored.

Not once that I can recall in any news conference I’ve listened to during this pandemic have the experts mentioned focusing on our health and wellness.

There has been plenty of talk about limiting exposure to “high risk” Americans, but there’s been no talk about how to reduce your risk and improve your immune response through diet, exercise, rest, water, supplements or other health-boosting practices.