Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, May-11-20, 07:38
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I've been in-person shopping once a week and using Instacart for my Sam's Club shopping, as it's still a circus. I noticed Instacart prices being out of sync with the real in-store prices. Also, Instacart added a sales tax to raw ground bison. When I asked about it through customer service back and forth, I just got a runaround. Hate to say it, but they're crooks.

Yesterday I used Sam's Club online ordering, curbside pickup for the first time and it went flawlessly. I won't be using Instacart again.

Nevada is about to re-open, but I'll continue most of the same behavior. Why not be safe.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, May-12-20, 06:12

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

That's my point. Just because certain businesses are reopening, it doesn't mean you have to go there. If you don't feel safe, no one is forcing you to go. Stay home and stay safe.
  #93   ^
Old Tue, May-12-20, 06:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Mask wearing/social distancing makes a big difference! That's the latest info. I've been doing that since lockdown: and according to our Governor, our area just needs more testing to start opening up again.

Always good to know there's something we can do for ourselves.
  #94   ^
Old Tue, May-12-20, 08:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Just came back from Costco this morning where I went to restock on protein during seniors' hour. I noticed the meat department was rearranged and the usual NY Steak (USDA Choice) was not in stock. Fortunately, I have a lot in my freezer, but I picked up one USDA Prime package of 4 steaks, a good wad of 88/12 ground beef (delicious, by the way), and 3 packages of wild sockeye salmon. Plenty of pork (Boston butt, tenderloin, chops, and miles of sausages available along with the salmon both wild and farmed raised. Will likely get some pork and chicken next trip even though I favor beef. Their wild salmon is a favorite at our house as well, it's now a weekly and sometimes twice weekly menu item.

Walking in the store, there were several pallets of Charmin TP in 30 packs, so if you're looking for it and you have a local Costco, you likely will find it in stock. Once again, going in that early (seniors' hour is now from 9-10 in my area), I was in and out very quickly. People who work there are extremely pleasant, maybe because they are dealing with us old codgers, but I still feel 35 and am in massive denial.
  #95   ^
Old Tue, May-12-20, 08:35

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I've been in-person shopping once a week and using Instacart for my Sam's Club shopping, as it's still a circus. I noticed Instacart prices being out of sync with the real in-store prices. Also, Instacart added a sales tax to raw ground bison. When I asked about it through customer service back and forth, I just got a runaround. Hate to say it, but they're crooks.

Yesterday I used Sam's Club online ordering, curbside pickup for the first time and it went flawlessly. I won't be using Instacart again.

Nevada is about to re-open, but I'll continue most of the same behavior. Why not be safe.

Having worked in a grocery store, I saw instances when something was mis-classified in the system. In the particular instance I'm thinking of, I can't even remember exactly what happened, but I think it had to do with tax that time too, and I think it involved a dairy product. For some reason it had been mis-classified as a prepared food (like the salad bar, which was taxable), instead of as a non-taxable grocery item. They did eventually get it straightened out, but since the mistake was in the computerized system, you know how that goes - takes what seems like forever to fix every place it shows up in the programming, so that it doesn't automatically revert back to the original mistake.

Companies that do your shopping for you (instacart, pea pod, etc) often have prices which differ from the store price - it's just part of their business model. Our store provided online ordering through pea pod, which shopped some of the orders at a "ware-store" facility, others at a Pea Pod "hub", and still others are shopped in the actual store. Pea Pod's list of available products did not include every item in the store, and the prices were often different from the store's price - something which I've found to often be the case when it comes to ordering from a store vs shopping in their brick and mortar store. Pea Pod also had their own list of sale items, which might have some overlap with the store's sale prices, but not all of them (and there might be things you can order that are on sale, while the store has them at regular price), another reason the prices aren't always the same.

I'm not saying nothing shady was going on with your instacart order, just trying to give some insight as to what might have been the causes of the discrepancies.