Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-14, 12:04

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Zero Carb Forum?

I was clicking on old bookmarks just now and one of them was "Zeroing in on Health", Charles Washington's zero carb forum. It's not there anymore. And Charles' ZIOH link leads to his professional page.

I guess this is just idle curiosity, but I was wondering if anybody here knows what happened to that community?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-14, 12:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/

The following message appears at the top of the page:
Quote:
This bulletin board is currently closed. The Administrator has specified the reason as to why below.
-----------------------------------------------
These forums are currently closed for maintenance. Please check back later.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-14, 13:11

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

You're not missing much. He catered to 20-something male bodybuilders with ~5% body fat & was rude & obnoxious to dieters & lowcarbers who dared to ask questions on his site.

Have you checked Meat & Egg threads on this site? They eat close to 0% carbs and discussions on this site are more friendly.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Jan-19-14 at 13:16.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-14, 13:12

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

yeah, i was on that site at one point, mainly reading, but left because the leader was very narrow minded, his way or you were banned.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-14, 18:32

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Yes, it says "closed for maintenance", but since the main "ZIOH" link leads to Charles' notary site, it seemed weird.

I don't want to participate in ZIOH, just was wondering if anyone knew what was up.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-15, 17:14

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I just went to check the ZIOH forum... looks like Charles ran out of other people to ban or something, and finally gave himself the boot.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-15, 17:38

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I just went to check the ZIOH forum... looks like Charles ran out of other people to ban or something, and finally gave himself the boot.

I love your comment teaser....
He ran out of other people to ban
Good one!!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-15, 19:57

Plan: HF/MP/LC
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:26.5
Progress: 43%

I remember when Charles dissected Gary Taubes' book on Jimmy Moore's website, recapping each chapter. He did an excellent job and it was a great service. This was many years ago when things were still friendly and he and Jimmy were still buddies. Charles got so crazy after a while, quickly banning many from his ZIOH site. I'd check in every once in a great while and the last few times, I noticed that people were rarely posting. I suspect that interest just faded. Speaking of zero carb, does anyone remember Lex Rooker? He was an interesting guy (not mean or crazy) who got healthy by eating raw "pet mix" meat that he got mail order. He did some crazy experiments and was always fun to read.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 03:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Interest in ZeroCarb has not faded...I know some LCers who now are eating that way, people I would not have expected to take a more extreme approach.
But when you already eat at 20g a day, going down to zero is actually not much of a leap. Just accept that vegetables have no useful purpose in the diet.

Most have moved to Facebook groups, a couple are active, and the Reddit Keto pages.

RawNut just posted this story from one of the ZeroCarb websites:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467964
Another active ZeroCarber for five years is Amber O'Hearn.
http://www.empiri.ca/p/eat-meat-not...mostly-fat.html

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jun-07-15 at 06:40.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 05:17

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

A general question to help me understand the Zero Carb woe - does it just mean really low carb with no veggies? I think I may be too literal, so when I first saw someone saying they were doing Zero Carb, but eating eggs and having coffee with heavy cream I did get confused. Shellfish made me wonder too. Just curious. Thanks.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 06:30

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

They seemed to be a little more lax on carbohydrate from animal sources on the site.

One point of contention I find interesting is the need for salt on a zero carb diet.

This is from the Bear's page at zero carb zen;

Quote:
The only thing careful about my diet is: I don’t use salt; I don’t cook the meat much; and I make sure to eat a lot of fat. Virtually any meat is okay, even for long periods. It is strictly a matter of personal taste. I eat butter, of course. Mayo is normally made with polyunsaturated vegetable oil and is high in omega 6. If you like the stuff – which I do – you should make your own from egg yolks, macadamia oil, and lemon juice. I also love garlic.

Quote:
Dairy is a kind of meat, but whole milk is sugary- with lactose. Cheese, cream, and butter have had most of the carbohydrates removed and are okay.

Quote:
Those who are only very slowly losing fat or have stopped losing probably need to lower the carbs to less than 5 gms per day, which I term ‘zero carbs’.

I think I remember Dr. Atkins referring to less than 5 grams as 'effectively zero carbs,' or something similar in one of his books. Which perhaps explains where the strict limits on cheese and heavy cream come from--you can fit a lot of heavy cream and cheese into a 20 gram per day carb allowance, but not very much into a 5 gram allowance.

http://zerocarbzen.com/the-bear/
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 06:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Marie, The person I know is Meat and Water Only. Amber has her Five Rules in that link above. Eggs and dairy are optional, but then considered by some hard core advocates, not Zero Carb.

Quote:
What to eat
There are five simple rules.

Rule 1: Eat nothing but meat.

You can also optionally have eggs, and optionally a little high-fat dairy such as butter or heavy cream.

Prefer “pure” meats like beef, pork, chicken, fish, turkey, lamb, etc. over “processed” meats like sausage or cold cuts. Don't eat meat with high-carb additives in it, such as hot dogs which come with added sugar, or with added corn syrup (which is another word for sugar).

Be aware that some people do not fare as well with a lot of dairy in their diet, and so it is wiser to wait and add it after the initial trial.

Four other rules follow. Drink water, she does add salt.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jun-07-15 at 06:45.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 06:55

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the info. I was just curious and as mentioned, also too literal sometimes!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 07:59
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Facebook zero carb group
Between Toni, Steve and Amber... they should be a big help.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 10:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser

" . . . and finally gave himself the boot." Hilarious

On another thread in this forum, a link to Kelly's page was provided, and on her blog, she provides links to the low carber facebook page she assists with among other links. At any rate, she writes well and her story of going from low carb to zero carb is well told:
http://myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.com/wp/

From what I understand, zero carb means only animal foodstuffs with no vegetables, fruits, grains or related fiber sources. There was another site supported by a family who embraces the zero carb WOE, Charlene and Joe Anderson and their two kids who eat beef only. I found an article below, and what brought this family to this WOE was the result of looking for a nutritional cure for Charlene's Lime Disease. She has an informative site, but I can't locate it. Here are some additional links for zero carb:

https://gistonice.wordpress.com/201...-past-17-years/
http://zerocarbdaily.blogspot.com/
http://zerocarbzen.com/