Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-01, 00:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/270/179 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Serial restarter restarts

Hello! I've been off and on low carb diets of various types for two years; I always have allowed myself to get derailed.

Started again last week (Protein Power). Am wearily, grimly committed/determined this time.

I'm a live-alone, work-at-home writer/editor, 53, female. I've been heavy all my adult life, but it's escalated over the past 15 years. I've never succeeded in making this routine. I need to have a time where I can completely control my schedule -- no deadlines, no days that begin with teaching a class at 8:30 in the morning and end with writing an overnight review at 12:30 at night, no have-to-get-the-issue-out-in-three days. I'm in one of those periods now. So please keep your fingers crossed for me

This is a lovely board. I've been reading you all week and like the tone very much.

Xan
282/276/160
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-01, 00:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi and Welcome Back

<<This is a lovely board. I've been reading you all week and like the tone very much. >>
Ditto. I discovered it a few weeks ago and have to have my "daily fix" by checking out the new post. Particularly love "The Lighter Side".

<<Am wearily, grimly committed/determined this time. >> Way to go. After the first week of 100% commitment it gets EASY and automatic. But I'll keep fingers, toes, legs and arms crossed for you
Take care
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-01, 00:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 265/244/145 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Welcome Xan!!

You can do it this time!!!
I've only just re-started, myself. I'm going to do it this time, too.
The support here is fabulous!!
Keep us posted on your progress.

Jeanette
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-01, 10:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/270/179 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thank you both for the warm welcome!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-01, 11:54

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Hi, Xan!

Sounds like we're in the same boat, work-wise. I also write and edit from home and teach classes of various sorts. As those of us who are 'self-employed' know, there are ups and downs to this lifestyle!

Having a fixed schedule can be a Good Thing, but I find after a while (like two weeks) it gets stifling....I find the best way to deal with a busy, sometimes unpredictable schedule, is to always have cooked meat on hand; whole chickens, a small roast, whatever - then I can just whomp up some veggies and eat anytime. If you're like me, and want to snack when you're stressed, you might find that pumpkin seeds in the shell fit the bill; it takes ages to nibble through even an ounce or so. Get the carby stuff out of your cupboards, if you can, and stock up on low-carb foods.

I am also making an effort to ENJOY my time off, instead of constantly worrying about where my next contract is coming from!

You can do it!

Cheers,
Rachel
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-01, 14:30

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome xan! i'm a serial restarter too! i just keep picking myself up and dusting myself off and starting again. i'm determined each time that this is it! we're all here for you!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-01, 14:53

BF:

What is important is not how many times you fall but how many times you pick yourself up .
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-01, 15:39

Stats: 188/163/145?
BF:
Progress:
Default New too

Hi Xan. I just started 6 weeks ago and not for the first time either. This time, at age 52, I really need to be successful. So far, so good. I was killing myself with my high carb lifestyle. Anyway ... welcome and I love this forum too. I too get my daily "fix" by reading all the encouraging posts. If all these great people can do it, why not us too, right?? I feel better already and know you will too. Keep up the good work. Cheers, Lara
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 17:53

Plan: Under 20 carbs a day
Stats: 150/150/135
BF:
Progress:

I have been on the diet for 13 days. I went to Ryan's Steakhouse today (it is a buffet). They really did not have anything low carb, so I decided that this was going to be my day to eat some carbs. I am starting on the diet tommorrow. I did not do to terribly bad. Do yall feel guilty when you cheat a little? Isn't that funny?!?! Well good luck to you all. We can all restart together!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 16:07

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Talking

Hello, Xan. I also am a serial restarter even though I am very successful each time I start. Just have trouble after induction. I also work from home and then train. The absolute best thing I have found for those long nights of working on the computer is Hormel Pepperoni - Snackin' Bite Size. You can pop them in your mouth and it satisfies for me lots of cravings I get when it's late and I'm working on the computer.

I have just recently restarted. Wish us all luck!

Mark.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-01, 23:51

BF:

Hi Bobbie .. Hi Everyone

<Do yall feel guilty when you cheat a little? Isn't that funny?!?!>

I used to feel guilty about anything and everything. But I am changing. My thinking is much clearer and I am better at analysing WHY I cheated rather than wasting energy on guilt now.

I know what a high carb diet did to me and I just feel soooo good on the low-carb diet that I never want to go back to that again. Of course there are times when I give in to old habits but that only brings back the addictions and for me gives my motivation a fresh boost and I go straight back to strict low-carb immediately before I lose myself. It's got much easier now my cupboards do not contain any carbs.

The test will come when I get some visitors - soon - and I have to stock up for them!

Good Luck. Take care.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 21:05

BF:

Hi everyone

Confession time. I was very strong and stuck firmly to the protein foods ALL day.

Had a wonderful day with my visitors and made sure they left with all the carbs THEY brought for the picnic.

Went to bed exhausted but happy. Woke up 3am (hayfever - all that grass) and tucked into a nice plateful of left-over saffron rice. It was sooooooo heavenly went for a good second helping.

And my visitors had such a good time they are coming back In fact they'd probably have stayed if they hadn't made another commitment elsewhere! God help me.
Take care.