Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-19, 11:56

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
This might be an interesting thread all on its own. It would seem self-evident that strength and balance and stamina would be required to manage extra weight, and that might lead to athletic performance as well.

I think the idea that more strength is required to manage extra weight is part of the misconception. Our bodies are not machines, but exquisite systems. Different sports require different physiques, too. You rarely see a very small competitive swimmer. Once you get into marathon swimming, girth helps a lot, too. 350 pound football players are not unusual at all. Some things like running you will see all body types. It just depends on the task at hand. But there are basic things that are really hard to see like core strength, balance, agility. We've been conditioned to see those things as functional consequences of looking like a fitness model but that is not so much the case. Unless you do it, though, or watch a lot of people do it, you never see that.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 16:35
boopchick

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I chose my goal weight according to what I remember feeling good at previously but I am not married to that number if I find that I feel good at a higher number.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 11:54

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I think the idea that more strength is required to manage extra weight is part of the misconception. Our bodies are not machines, but exquisite systems. Different sports require different physiques, too. You rarely see a very small competitive swimmer. Once you get into marathon swimming, girth helps a lot, too. 350 pound football players are not unusual at all. Some things like running you will see all body types. It just depends on the task at hand. But there are basic things that are really hard to see like core strength, balance, agility. We've been conditioned to see those things as functional consequences of looking like a fitness model but that is not so much the case. Unless you do it, though, or watch a lot of people do it, you never see that.
Your post reminded me of all the football players who take ballet to improve their stamina, coordination and flexibility.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 12:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
Your post reminded me of all the football players who take ballet to improve their stamina, coordination and flexibility.

Believe me, those guys, no matter how big they are or how much fluff they have, are already super strong and agile, even without ballet! All of us can do it, though - we just rarely try it out.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 12:15

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

My goal weight is what I weighed at my most fit, at around the age of 24. Maybe that is a stretch goal, or maybe it is a goal that I can just briefly touch and then falls away quickly when I 'normalize' my eating.....which is what happened last time.

To be frank, I would just be happy to fit easily into 36 waist pants, and maybe 34 waist pants, and maintain a waist line that lacks love handles (I could handle a little gentle roll). For that, I really just need to stay below 200.

But back to the crazy goal of having back the body I had at 24...it is a fun thing to shoot for.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 12:30

Plan: verylowcarb
Stats: 223/205/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I used to be 135-140 lbs. until I hit 36 and then gained a lot of weight (as a side effect of a medication). Since I have a small frame my goal weight is about 150, even 160 would be nice. I'm not 36 anymore so...140 seems to be too extreme. I used to be very slender and fit (I'm a former gymnast) and now I still have some muscles but the extra fat is too much for my frame. I just want to lose it and get rid of the back pain. This is my first motivation.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-19, 12:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniggle
My goal weight is what I weighed at my most fit, at around the age of 24. Maybe that is a stretch goal, or maybe it is a goal that I can just briefly touch and then falls away quickly when I 'normalize' my eating.....which is what happened last time.

To be frank, I would just be happy to fit easily into 36 waist pants, and maybe 34 waist pants, and maintain a waist line that lacks love handles (I could handle a little gentle roll). For that, I really just need to stay below 200.

But back to the crazy goal of having back the body I had at 24...it is a fun thing to shoot for.

I don't think it's crazy!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 06:14

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Few things in this thread, since my world exploded & I sort of disappeared:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
However, we're told that pear-shaped women are less likely to have heart attacks than apple-shaped women, and also that having a little extra body fat is associated with longevity for women. Okay fine, for me. But that still doesn't make any type of pants fit me better, unless there's an elastic waist.

This came up in a recent conversation. When I'm not obese (which I no longer am!) I'm hour-glass shaped. The current fashion is not helpful... barely a difference between waist & hips. Some days, I miss the pleated jeans/pants of the 80s. I could have something that fit both my hips and waist! (Nothing like having your tight-across-the-butt pants want to fall down OVER that butt!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
I used to be really thin in my 20's - under 110 pounds. ... I probably was too thin. Oddly, my 22 year old daughter is about the same height as I. She also weighs under 110 pounds but looks great...

There's a story I tell, about when I learned what "big boned" meant (and that it was NOT a euphamism for "Fat")

When I was 11, my aunt got married & I was in her wedding. I was 5'7", weighed 110, and wore a size 10 gown.

When I was a freshman in college, my roommate was 5'7", 110 lbs... and wore a size 0. My naked skeleton couldn't fit into a 0.... my rib cage and shoulders would rip it apart. Could be, this was the difference. (Side note: I am MUCH larger framed than my mother, though we're of about the same height.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
You would be shocked by what people can do with their bodies even at very high weights.

I can attest to this... not for myself, so much, as for my old Sensei, who put on a ton of weight and became decidedly "fluffy"... yeah, she was carrying a ton of fat, and it upset her. She was also in phenomenol physical condition. I've also seen at least one amazing obese ballet dancer. Percentage of body fat and physical fitness have a very loose correalation. Not the tight one we're conditioned to believe.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 14:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGr
There's a story I tell, about when I learned what "big boned" meant (and that it was NOT a euphamism for "Fat")

When I was 11, my aunt got married & I was in her wedding. I was 5'7", weighed 110, and wore a size 10 gown.

When I was a freshman in college, my roommate was 5'7", 110 lbs... and wore a size 0. My naked skeleton couldn't fit into a 0.... my rib cage and shoulders would rip it apart. Could be, this was the difference. (Side note: I am MUCH larger framed than my mother, though we're of about the same height.)

Yes, I once had a similar insight when following a coworker down the hall. Her head came up to my collarbones. My shoulders were TWICE as wide as hers, so of course my behind was too. I wore a size nine shoe; she could probably sleep in them.