Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 16:19

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Soe Breast Anyone

In the last few weeks I have noticed that me boobs have become sore and feel 'different'.
Its like Im pregnant or something (Im not ) cos they are all tender.
I am not big by any maens in that department.
can anyone relate or explain? or is unrelated. Seems a coincidence cos its never happened before.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 14:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/160/150
BF:
Progress: 80%

I can relate. I've had the same for almost 2 months. I thought it was just me, I didn't think about it being from his WOE. I''l do some research on it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 15:20

BF:

Hi Jess, so are you saying this is totally new to you too? and you still have it too?
If mine still feel like this by the end of next week I'll go see the Doc
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 15:37

BF:

Totally new. I've never had any problems with the "girls" before. (except when I breastfed but that is SO different) I've had a couple of things kinda freak me out lately. My hair is falling out allot more. I read on that and found it to be related to this way of eating. Some people take supplements for the hair, so I have been reading about that too.
If they are still bothering you I would go see the doctor next week.

Hey maybe my "girls" are growing! Just kidding.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 18:06

BF:

>>>My hair is falling out allot more. I read on that and found it to be related to this way of eating. Some people take supplements for the hair, so I have been reading about that too. <<<
Ive noticed that too

>>>Hey maybe my "girls" are growing! Just kidding.<<<

..and Ive thought of that too, that I wouldnt mind
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 19:41

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hair tends to fall out 3 or 4 months after any big weight loss on any plan. It will come back. Do a search on this site for hair loss and you'll get info.

If you are eating soy which has plant estrogens, that may lead to breast tenderness. It also happens in perimenopause. I don't know your ages, but that (peri) can begin in your 30's.

Insulin is a master hormone which affects all sorts of systems in the body. When we alter its production by switching to ketosis and glucagon (another master hormone), it makes sense that ALL our hormone systems are involved in the adjustment. Read the Protein Power Plan book for good explanations.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 19:50

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

I've noticed that mine have seemed to grow a little bit... ?? Not sure if I am building up my pecs or what but I am not complaining and neither is Dan..........
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 20:09

BF:

Thanks for that info Tofi, it has eased my mind a little and I have the PP book but never read it cover to cover so will have a look and see what i can find on hormonal changes. No soy? but I was eating alot of the flaxseed, but found it rather addictive, could that do it too do you know??
Usually when I 'diet' my boobs (what there is of them) disapear and fast.
Would be great if I could hang on to what Ive got , its the only thing I like about my body better fat ..... and if they GROW like you Fern hey I'll right a book "The Breast Inhancment Diet" and make a fortune
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 21:18

BF:

I've gone from a C to a B in the last three months! Well I'll tell ya I enjoyed it while it lasted!

Thanks Tofi, I have already looked at all the posts here. I have lost weight faster then this before, and more and never had more of my hair fall out. Not that worried about it, I have allot to go. I also read Bloom, that the hair loss does stop. Hopefully soon. Some people says after it stops their hair comes in better. I don't eat soy, and I am only 23. I'll have to buy that book. I don't have that one.

Linda my dear, Dan wouldn't have anything to complain about anyway! You are almost perfect! I only say almost because nobody can be perfect, that would be boring.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 21:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Hi Bloom

Well, I'm going to come right out and say ... it's not cancer. First, breast pain is only rarely associated with cancer. Second, it would not involve both breasts. And, to ease your mind further, here's a link to some articles I posted a long time ago about Fatty diet not linked to breast cancer.

If there's any way you could get your hands on a copy of Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book ... it is excellent. I bought a copy for my sister. While it does discuss cancer and treatments, it also has a lot of information about breast health, development, aging and yes a whole chapter devoted to breast pain. She has a website; here's the link to her article Do you have breast pain?.

And, from the Grace Women's Hospital in Calgary Canada:

Breast Pain

Most women have some breast pain at various stages in their life. This pain may be mild or, in extreme cases, interfere with daily living. It is important to know that breast pain is usually not associated with breast cancer.

Causes of Breast Pain

Cyclical - Usually breast pain is cyclical. This means it varies depending on the normal changes in hormone levels each month (estrogen, progesterone, and prolactin) and the sensitivity of breast tissue to these hormone changes.
During each menstrual cycle, the breasts are prepared for the changes needed for pregnancy. Fluid may be retained prior to periods. This makes breast swollen, heavy and painful. The extra fluid usually goes away 7 to 10 days after menses starts and the pain usually goes away as well.

This cycle repeats itself every month during the reproductive years.

Taking hormone replacement therapy can produce this same pain and breast swelling--only it tends not to go away.

Non-Cyclical - This type of breast pain is not related to the menstrual cycle and the woman's normal hormones. It tends to be in one specific area. The cause may be irritation of breast tissue (for example, after biopsy), injury to the breast, larger simple cysts and breast infection.

Non-Breast Origin Pain - Often chest wall pain can be mistakenly thought of as breast pain. Too much exercise or swelling between the ribs (costochondritis) can cause this feeling. This pain will usually go away in time.

Assessing of Breast Pain

Your doctor will take a thorough breast health and family history and then examine your breasts. A mammogram and/or ultrasound may be done to rule out any other cause for the pain (for example, cysts). It is important to identify the site, strength and duration of the breast pain. It is also important to know what has been done to relieve the pain and if it has been helpful.

Management of Breast Pain

If breast pain interferes with your daily living activities, you may want to consider:
  • Wearing a well-fitting, supportive bra. This is especially important if you do active sports. Some department stores and specialty stores can offer you advice on what bra fits you best.
  • Changing your diet. Some women may benefit from simple changes, such as: Reducing caffeine products. Caffeine is found in coffee, tea, colas, chocolate and some medications. Even very small quantities of caffeine may stimulate your breasts. Reducing salt intake to help reduce fluid retention.
  • Routine physical exercise. Reduction in body fat and decrease in production of estrogen work together to help decrease pain. Exercise causes an increase in endorphins, which in turn decreases breast tenderness and fluid retention.
  • Vitamin supplements. Many women experience a decrease in breast pain using Evening Primrose Oil. The benefit of other vitamins, such as Vitamin A, E, B6, and Iodine is uncertain.
  • Aspiration (removing fluid) of larger simple cysts.
  • Antibiotics for breast infections.
  • For more severe pain, a short-term medication regime may be tried. Diuretics can be used to decrease swelling. Drugs such as Tamoxifen and Danazol can be used to manipulate your own hormones. They are not generally recommended because of unwanted side-effects and will only offer a short-term solution.
  • Reducing your dose of hormone replacement therapy.
  • Anti-inflammatory medications to treat chest wall pain.
  • Reducing stress in your life. Hormones respond to stress.
  • Stopping smoking.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 23:11

BF:

Thanks Doreen for all you posted although I dont see me and my symptoms fitting in anywhere in whats suggested. i drink far less coffee than I ever have I dont smoke not taking any meds etc etc.
It more soreness, tender and sensitive than pain.
Im not comfortable to sleep on my stomach anymore. It just came on quite suddenly over a few days and has stayed the same since.
I thought it was the exercises but its in the tissue not the muscle underneath. Like flexing my chest doesnt make it hurt more or anything.
I will go and read your old post, thanks agin
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 00:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Bloom- Hello My breasts sometimes feel extremely sore & tender (About once every 3 months, usually lasted a few days.) Not exactly like pain but really really uncomfortable, a "nagging feeling". Bloom, if the soreness doesn't go away in a couple of days (or next week), u might wanna go see your doctor, just to put your mind at ease. Take care

Hi Jess- A sudden weight loss / weight gain can cause hair loss. It's only temporary though.
I gained 20lbs last year & my hair was falling out in chunks! I honestly thought that I was going bald. Then I started taking this hair & nail supplement, and it's definitely helped. My friend was also losing a lot of hair after she had her baby. She took the supplement & it worked for her, too. I took this brand named Phyto (they make shampoo & stuff).
BTW, way to go on hitting 169lbs! U're getting smaller everyday

Bebe
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 02:45

BF:

Hi Bebe, cute name
What do you put your sore/tenderness down too?

I will go and see the Doctor if it doesnt go away after this cycle as its been suggested it may be hormonal and as my previous draggy,aching (like I need to lay an Ostrich egg) feeling doesnt happen now maybe this is my new womanly symptom
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 04:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hiya Bloom,
I watched Lord Of The Rings & New Zealand is a BEAUTIFUL place. I'm so envious of u
I'm not sure what caused my soreness. It usually lasted 2-3 days, total misery really. If I remember correctly, I usually got them a few days b4 my TOM. It might be hormonal......
Men are so lucky, what do they know about pain!?
Good luck

Bebe
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 06:02

BF:

Yes Bebe NZ is beautiful but lots of the amazing stuff on LOTR was computer generated. Its a nice place if you like lots of countryside.

Looks like this problem is hormonal then, thanks for sharing