Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-31-22, 11:18

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Champ: The Relationship Between Fat and Cancer

Excellent article: "The Manchurian Cell – The Relationship Between Fat and Cancer and Why Muscle Matters".

Link on fat and cancer from Dr. Champ's most recent newsletter. Very interesting and informative in terms of what's happening and how to avoid it in favor of better health.
An excerpt:
Quote:
"In 2013, a scientific report on fat and cancer baffled scientists and physicians. A usual, the nightly news had a field day with the findings. A massive analysis of all available studies assessing weight status and survival revealed that being overweight or mildly obese was associated with longer survival in a group of individuals.1 Some evidence even suggested that overweight individuals may have been the healthiest with the lowest risk of cancer. Many, like myself read and watched this in disbelief. Have we been wrong all this time? Was a new French Paradox emerging?"

Full article:
https://colinchamp.com/fat-and-canc...muscle-matters/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-22, 04:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

What an excellent article! Decades of DNA research hasn't gotten us anywhere. The mutation theory has serious holes in it.

Was it always an assumption that since we now have a hammer, everything is a nail?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-22, 08:47

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Yes, I believe so. It's just easier that way, and today more than ever, people seem to want everything to be easy. I choose to believe that embracing life's challenges makes fulfillment possible. I'm going to be wrong in some cases, but overall I'm happier.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-22, 17:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I choose to believe that embracing life's challenges makes fulfillment possible. I'm going to be wrong in some cases, but overall I'm happier.

I'm with you, Bob. Things are only easy once we've learned them.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-22, 07:10

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Reminds me of the equation learned in livestock breeding.

g + e= p

Genotype + environment = phenotype

E far outweighs the impact of genotype to create the physical outcome aka phenotype. Hard to find a gene over 40%. Meaning environmental impact is over 60%. Food and toxins and housing are just two of the nearly endless "environmental" factors .

I too was sucked into the genetic theory of cancer as it was the only option the oncologists offered at the time. A wrong headed theory.

After watching my mother with melanoma, 2x breast cancer and now colon cancer.... Her cancers appeared later in life than her mother by 20 years. Why later? Why at all? Why can't body eliminate these wayward cells early on---why do these cells overwhelm our built in protective systems...?

Is the answer simply a decrease in exercise like less gardening, less laundry, more injuries that kept her off her feet...

Looking for reading this article in detail.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Apr-29-22 at 07:18.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-22, 08:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I like the saying:

Genetics loads the gun, environment pulls the trigger.

But I think in some cases, genetics unloads the gun. Which is why certain genetic groups can be so long lived despite things that kill the rest of us.

About the article, we're supposed to believe (from a bodybuilding website) that the reason for this paradox is because everyone who lived longer is because they're carrying way more muscle than regular fat people? That's quite the leap of faith and sounds like wishful thinking.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Apr-29-22 at 08:22.