Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-22, 14:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default The Fat Ginger Nerd By Brendan Reid

Many on this forum have known Grav, and admired his thoughtful writing, since he joined here in 2016. His success story was first published on DietDoctor and in our success stories section in January 2017. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476150

Today, only a few days from publication of his first book, The Fat Ginger Nerd, A Weight Loss Story, Diet Doctor has posted the follow-up on his continued success.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/brendan-...others-like-him

Quote:
If Brendan Reid could invent a time machine, he would go back to his overweight teenage self, sitting alone playing video games in his bedroom, and tell him about the low-carb, keto diet.

More precisely, he would give himself a copy of the book he has just finished writing, The Fat Ginger Nerd, which describes his lifelong struggle with his weight, and his transformation, losing 122 pounds (55 kilos), after ditching the carbs.

“Had I known at that age what I know now, my life could have been so completely different,” Brendan writes in his moving, eloquent book, which will be released at the end of February 2022.

But since time travel is not possible, Brendan hopes, instead, to inspire and help modern-day overweight kids who are bullied and isolated, like he was. Or help the adult versions of those individuals who still carry the pounds and the hurts of those years.

He understands how they are feeling. “It is almost like looking at myself in my earlier years.”

If you don't already know Brendan, and his beautiful writing style, there are posts to sample on his blog, and I highly recommend purchasing his book.

https://thefatgingernerd.com

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Feb-21-22 at 03:48.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-22, 16:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Hurray! A long awaited book.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-22, 00:58

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Congratulations Grav!

Book ordered!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-22, 01:13

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the plug there, Janet.

It's a pretty crazy time for me at the moment. The book itself, after five years of writing and almost another year of editing and preparation, is now just a few days away from release. The publicity is really starting to ramp up, and has been given a big boost today, thanks to Diet Doctor.

For those interested in a taste of what's to come, here is a PDF copy of the introduction section of the book, which was circulated to early subscribers of my mailing list last month.

For those interested in having a read of the whole thing for free in exchange for providing a review, the book is already available for advance review purposes on NetGalley.

For the rest of us, myself included, just a few more sleeps to go...!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-22, 17:52

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Sweet!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-22, 03:34

If you pre-ordered the Kindle edition in the US, it was downloaded to your e-book reader early today. If you order Grav/Brendan's book (E-book in US$ 5.99) it is available now for instant download, from a range of on-line retailers worldwide. https://thefatgingernerd.com/buy-the-book/

Quote:
Why do I still get hungry when I'm already fat? It doesn't make sense. It's not fair. During the 1980s and 1990s, a time when the world was convinced that eating less and moving more was the simple solution to the burgeoning obesity epidemic, Brendan grew up having committed the cardinal sin of being fat.

Then in 2015, his health failing and with both time and options running out, one chance encounter set in motion a personal journey of discovery that would see him achieve and maintain a healthy weight for the first time in his life.

Now, with our metabolic health in a worse state than ever, Brendan reflects on his own weight loss transformation and speaks out against the continuing one-size-fits-all dietary dogma that had previously condemned him to decades of unnecessary suffering.

The Fat Ginger Nerd is an inspiring personal story with practical weight loss help and some startling insights into how we ended up with this public health crisis.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Feb-23-22 at 05:14.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-22, 15:22

BF:

Aaand we're live. I stayed up late last night to push all of the various "go" buttons, and then tried (and failed) to get some sleep. So right now I'm feeling VERY tired, but I imagine that won't last as long as the feeling of satisfaction of having finally gotten this project over the line.

Thanks again everybody for your support.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-22, 17:29

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Delighted to see that this wonderful book has already been announced here.

I got my e-copy instantly, and ordered the paperback. Maybe I’ll get two, as I surely must have pre-ordered. 😄

Anyway, I’ve read it, loved it, and posted my review on amazon.

Even if you have dozens of Low-carb books in your home library—and who here doesn’t—please add this one. IMHO, this is the book you can share with friends who are either skeptics or would-be beneficiaries of the LC way of eating.

Thank you, Grav, for being a champion.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-22, 03:45

An excellent two page article based on interview with Brendan in the Otago Times.
https://www.odt.co.nz/lifestyle/mag...YZSMqufmcjd IU

To help spread the word that Low Carb Diets work to both lose weight and keep it off, there is a special offer on the Kindle edition for only 99 cents. A good review, which can be as short as sentence or two, helps to make the book more visible at on-line book stores.

The book and video resource list is a thorough starting point or reminder how much low carb information is now available.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-22, 07:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Just purchased the kindle version. Looking forward to diving into the book this weekend.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-22, 12:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Just purchased the kindle version. Looking forward to diving into the book this weekend.

Now would be the time to purchase, it's not going to be on special for too much longer.

I hope you find it a worthwhile read.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-22, 05:52

A terrific new interview with Brendan posted on YouTube from Susan Birch, The Health Detective.

https://www.susanbirch.co.nz/2022/0...ed-susan-birch/
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-22, 09:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
A terrific new interview with Brendan posted on YouTube from Susan Birch, The Health Detective.

https://www.susanbirch.co.nz/2022/0...ed-susan-birch/

Thanks for posting this, Janet. So much to learn and unpack in this interview. Very valuable for all people on all levels of the metabolic spectrum to understand how the present dietary beliefs systems are so varied, and for some, so wrong. Thanks Brendan, your voice is tempered and informative just by telling your story. Questions must be asked, and your story among others' serve as beacons for learning and understanding.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-22, 13:39

BF:

Thanks Rob. As you say, questions must be asked, and part of my own style as a interviewee is to not be afraid to sometimes answer questions with more questions. In my mind, perhaps one of the biggest mistakes we've made in the past concerning nutrition is for us to have collectively assumed that all of the important questions have already been answered, and that therefore no further discussion is necessary. And to me, there's no better counter to that situation, no better way to encourage further discussion of the issues, than by asking more questions.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-22, 06:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Got it and looking forward to it!