Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-09, 20:13

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
I've decided to stick with this plan for a while, much more than six weeks. I hate to admit it, but I think I've been stalled by my large fat consumption and my devotion to vegetables.

I think I'll probably be with it for more than 6 weeks too. It's a fairly easy plan, and while I enjoy cooking I don't want to cook all the time, so sometimes a shake just hits the spot. I did buy some DaVinci syrups. I've bought flavor extracts in the past and was less than satisfied with them. I have unsweetened protein powder that I can add the DaVinci to and it is still not overly sweet.

Suddenly I'm down 2 pounds in the last 2 days - though I hate to even say so for fear of jinxing myself. My weight fluctuates so I can easily be back up the 2 pounds tomorrow morning. I had an orange-vanilla shake earlier and it was really quite tasty. I had a black decaf.

Today was my son's birthday and I went out to lunch with him and his wife, and my new grandson, and his wife's parents. I had a pastrami reuben without the bread and a dill pickle. Then I had to sit and watch while everyone else had double chocolate fudge cake, carrot cake, apple strudel, and lemon cake.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 04:36

Plan: my own
Stats: 225/208/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I think I'll probably be with it for more than 6 weeks too. It's a fairly easy plan, and while I enjoy cooking I don't want to cook all the time, so sometimes a shake just hits the spot. I did buy some DaVinci syrups. I've bought flavor extracts in the past and was less than satisfied with them. I have unsweetened protein powder that I can add the DaVinci to and it is still not overly sweet.

Count me in the >6week club. Well, actually it's more like >4 weeks. At the end of the 4th week, Eades says if you still have a lot of weigh to lose to start alternating the weeks 1-2 (I call phase 1) with weeks 3-4 (I call phase 2), but this time do phase 1 for a week, then phase 2 for a week, then phase 1 for a week..

The DH and I have committed to each other that we'll do this like designed for 6 weeks for us - so we mean Phase 1 for 2 weeks, Phase 2 for 2 weeks, Phase 1 for 1 week, and Phase 2 for 1 week.

Frankly, we both think we'll want to be on some more relaxed adjusted plan - more like the official weeks 5-6, but we want to see what it's like to try alternating one week shakes, one week meat. See how 'doable' it is for us. Like, how will it feel to go back to shakes for a week after two weeks of meet? And we're committed to at least the 6 week plan above.

Quote:
Suddenly I'm down 2 pounds in the last 2 days - though I hate to even say so for fear of jinxing myself. My weight fluctuates so I can easily be back up the 2 pounds tomorrow morning. I had an orange-vanilla shake earlier and it was really quite tasty. I had a black decaf.

Today was my son's birthday and I went out to lunch with him and his wife, and my new grandson, and his wife's parents. I had a pastrami reuben without the bread and a dill pickle. Then I had to sit and watch while everyone else had double chocolate fudge cake, carrot cake, apple strudel, and lemon cake.

I've been 'stuck' at around 220.6/.8 for a few days. If this was a regular plan I'd hesitate to say 'stuck' for such a short time frame, but I am. And I had a weird food day Saturday too.

My husband and I mentor a couple kids (it's like big brother /big sister - but it's a different organization working with poor but promising kids), and Saturday was a big mentor event - a lonnnnng one. We knew it was going to be hard for us - and decided to try to mostly eat nothing or meat, and to eat our 'meal' before leaving home. I'm still using up the pork loin I made a few days ago, so I cut that up small and just made a big sort-of stirfry thing with some veggies, jalapeno bacon and the pork loin.

We left home at 11:30am, picked up the kids between 12 and 12:15, and got to the meeting at 12:30. It was a day at the ballpark. A lonnnng day (tour, lectures, our standard monthly meeting took all afternoon). And they warned us to have the kids eat ahead of time, because there would be no food until during the game which started at 5:15! All this starving with shakes, and learning to wait was very helpful.

At 5:15 we headed to the 'picnic pavilion' where the group had paid for all you can eat - popcorn, chips, hotdogs, pop. And after some digging I found bags of peanuts in the shell. Not a great healthy food consumption for anyone:
DH cheated with a Diet Pepsi (caffeine *and* aspartame!! I gasped!), and had one hot dog (sans bun of course) - and then water the rest of the night
I had tons of water all night, one hotdog, and then I realized I could eat some of those peanuts - at least fat/protein/carbs-wise they fit the profile of our eating on Phase 1 (weeks 1-2).

The bad news, I was so bored and kind of hungry, I ate the peanuts in the shell - (*including* the shell). This should be ok if you have your own organic peanut farm, but commercial ones - the shells just absorb all the pesticides like crazy, and can have a poisonous mold (aflatoxin) which is 20 times more toxic than DDT. And even the sharp edges of the shells can supposedly cause internal distress. <sigh> So yeahhh!! If I wasn't already detoxing from everything else I've ever eaten bad - I just added to it! Stupid nuts. I had about one cup - about 320 calories, 8g carb (-5g fiber), 14g protein, 27g fat.

So back on the straight and narrow - and we're going to try to give blood like the good doctor says we should at the end of week 2. Maybe I can give away some of those peanut pesticides.

Sarah
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 04:37

BF:

oops sorry all! I was thinking I was in the 6week thread, not the shake flavors thread!

Sorry for the OT!!
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 06:06

BF:

Quote:
Suddenly I'm down 2 pounds in the last 2 days - though I hate to even say so for fear of jinxing myself. My weight fluctuates so I can easily be back up the 2 pounds tomorrow morning.

Not quite as bad. I'm only back up 1 pound, despite having only 2 shakes plus one meal yesterday.

But the shakes were good! One was made with DaVinci orange syrup and had a faint but really nice orangey taste. The second I made with chocolate protein powder and DaVinci Peppermint Paddy syrup, and it was fantastic.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 12:53

BF:

Anyone want to comment on some flavors that did *not* work for them? One of the protein powders I bought was the Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor of Designer Whey. Today for lunch I made a shake using that protein powder, and some SF DaVinci peanut butter syrup.

I wouldn't call it a "failure" from the standpoint of saying that I hated it. It was OK. It just didn't taste the least bit like peanut butter, which was the taste I was jonesing for.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 13:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm finding the peanut smells just like peanut butter but doesn't really taste like it. It just makes me want to go out and buy a jar of it!

I had Orange/Chocolate today and I must say it was quite good. I am always surprised at how much syrup I have to use when I use cocoa powder.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 13:45

BF:

Well, I'm having trouble finding a reason to endorse the almond roca syrup. Maybe I should be combining it with something else. But the flavor is just not strong enough. I think someone mentioned somewhere else that Caramel is really the best - and the other similars are not worth it.

Haven't tried the English Toffee yet - but am not getting my hopes up. :P
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 13:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I had Orange/Chocolate today and I must say it was quite good. I am always surprised at how much syrup I have to use when I use cocoa powder.

I just had an orange shake again today. I didn't use chocolate, just my natural (unsweetened) whey powder and the orange syrup. I had some pure orange extract in my spice cabinet so added a splash of that too, and one packet of the new Truvia I decided to buy. That plus frozen coconut cubes and some ThickenThin not/Sugar. This was maybe the best shake yet! And I'm a chocoholic and thought nothing could be better than the chocolate shakes.

I think I'll have to go looking for Xanthan gum after all, though. The ThickenThin not/Sugar is great in the shakes, but you need almost 2 tbsp of it for a shake, and the packages are tiny and expensive. I can't afford to keep putting that in my shakes!
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 18:42

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'm finding the peanut smells just like peanut butter but doesn't really taste like it. It just makes me want to go out and buy a jar of it!

I'm dying to try this powdered peanut butter but don't want to place an order right now. I'll bet a spoonful of that plus the peanut syrup would give a more peanut-y result. It has some sugar, though.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 18:44

BF:

Quote:
... frozen coconut cubes ...

What are your frozen coconut cubes? Coconut flesh that you froze? Coconut milk?
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 19:27

BF:

I just made a tasty one:

grated fresh ginger
freshly squeezed lime
Monin vanilla syrup
plain, unsweetened protein
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-09, 07:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
What are your frozen coconut cubes? Coconut flesh that you froze? Coconut milk?

Coconut milk poured into ice cube trays and frozen.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-09, 13:34
Experimenter

BF:

Oh wow, Allison that sounds so good.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 07:50

Plan: low carb paleo organic
Stats: 201.8/197.2/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I tried the eggnog shake today. It was pretty good, just vanilla protein powder, stevia, rum flavoring, nutmeg, cream and ice. I blended it on high for about 2 minutes, and it got nice and fluffy and tastes pretty much just like eggnog!
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-09, 08:42
Experimenter

BF:

I keep whole nutmegs in my gadget drawer with the microplane grater so I can grate nutmeg. It's just amazing when it is freshly grated. I'll have to try the eggnog shake.